The Student Room Group

First time in a club...Advice needed?

I've started university as a home student due to various reasons. My parents don't mind me comign back late or anything so my house is kind of like a base. I've joined societies to make friends friends but I'm not the most social of people. I find it difficult to open up and hold a conversation.

One society meets on Friday and is having a social at a bar and then on to a club. I want to go as I think I should go and meet friends but at the same time I don't as I'm a bit awakrd about it all. What if I don't have any nice conversations and end up standing in the corner alone? Will people think I'm weird?

Can someone please give me a step by step guide of things I could say, what to do in the club, how to act, and the ettiquette of leaving the club if I want to go.
Reply 1
Everyone will have the same fears.

At the bar, walk in and ask stupid questions:

"Hi, where is the bar?"

"Hi, where is the toilet?"

"Hi, do you know where I can pick up?"

"Do you have a lighter?"

At the club:

"Can I smoke in here?"

"Excuse me what song is that?"

"What is the time?"

Follow up these questions with more questions until you have a conversation.
Hey thanks! I'm glad others will have the same fears but they looks so happy in the clubs all smiling when talking to people. They're good questions and I'll try them.
Original post by Madeline_H95
I've started university as a home student due to various reasons. My parents don't mind me comign back late or anything so my house is kind of like a base. I've joined societies to make friends friends but I'm not the most social of people. I find it difficult to open up and hold a conversation.

One society meets on Friday and is having a social at a bar and then on to a club. I want to go as I think I should go and meet friends but at the same time I don't as I'm a bit awakrd about it all. What if I don't have any nice conversations and end up standing in the corner alone? Will people think I'm weird?

Can someone please give me a step by step guide of things I could say, what to do in the club, how to act, and the ettiquette of leaving the club if I want to go.

They'll think you're weird if you stand by yourself. Just like leave innit. Basically, a club is a ****ty version of life itself. Be yourself, look nice, don't try too hard, don't get too drunk, don't go with strangers, relax, enjoy yourself. Boom. Nailed it.
Reply 4
Original post by Madeline_H95
Hey thanks! I'm glad others will have the same fears but they looks so happy in the clubs all smiling when talking to people. They're good questions and I'll try them.

Let us know how it goes!
Reply 5
You'll mostly be dancing and stuff in the club, so don't worry too much about making conversation! Enjoy it :smile:
Thank for the answers. I'll see how it goes and let you know. (It's on Friday night btw)
Reply 7
Get pissed, no inappropriate touchy touchy. Sorted.
So i promised an update and here it is...

i went to the club and left after a couple of hours. I had five guys dance with me which I don't mind but the moment they started to move towards me as if to kiss I was disgusted. Who want to kiss some drunk guy with bad breath anyway who doesn't even remember your name? No self respecting girl does that so I slapped one (he got the message) and just walked away from the others. I also had a guy ask me if I wanted sex which I declined.

I ended up in a group of girls I met at the bar area drinking wine. It's wasn't even red wine but rose instead. Cocktails were disgusting and I don't like the cheap ass vodka stuff people drink.

Otherwise it was ok. Sorry if this is a rant but I don't think it's my cup of tea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending