The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Mechanical Engineering

Looking to apply to Bristol uni for Beng in Mechanical Engineering, however I know this is a long shot but is it worth it with my predicted grades being ABB? They ask for AAA
Much will depend on the rest of your application - AS grades, PS strength and academic reference. So it isn't possible for anyone to give you a straight Yes or No on this.

Just remember that any offer you might get will be AAA. If you honestly think you can get that then its worth this as your one 'risky' choice. NB. Bristol is not 'lenient' on Results Day as it can always attract better applicants via Adjustment - a near miss on Results Day will not do.

Lots of advice here about spreading your choices - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
If you choose Bristol as your one risky choice then all your other choices must be much more realistic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Honestly probably not. AAB and you might have a shot. Even then, the offer would be AAA and your teachers obviously don't think you're on track for that.

The guys I know from mech eng (housemates with 2 of them) constantly work hard, play hard, and got straight As. One guy I live with is serious about a career as an engineer, and he's already on it with work experience, placements, summer schemes, and worked hard in 1st year to get top grades to get the places despite 1st year not counting much/at all.

Not saying you arent motivated to work hard, get the experience, become an engineer etc. My actual point of saying that is they want people like it, and one of their main ways to determine such an intelligent drive is by selecting applicants with the top grades.

You could apply as a risk if the rest of your application is outstanding, but please only use one risk. All other applications should be offers of ABB or below.
Reply 3
You don't need to have drive just to do engineering. You could say that about any degree. If you think you'll enjoy it, take it on.

With regards to the question, the competition for places is high. You won't get in with those grades. Ask your teachers if it would be possible to recommend higher predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest