The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

how long does it take from castle to the physics department ?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Long enough. About 15-20 minutes (almost everywhere in Durham is no further than 15 minutes from anywhere else)
St Aidan's to science looks a trek! How far?

Maths is at science hill right?
Reply 23
Maths lectures in the first year are mostly at the science site, but some are at elvet (well at least they were last year). Never had one in the Maths dept. though!
Reply 24
cherrychocolate
You can always opt out of lunch on certain days if you're not going to make it...the handbook said they give you a cash refund for the meals you won't take...you can use that to get a sandwich or whatever then?

No, u can't just sign out on certain days coz it said in the handbook that u gotta sign out for the whole week (or whole term:confused: ). Im considering doing it. But then, if I do so, I will miss all the "nutritious" lunches at the Hotel on the hill while I will only get 80p in return?! That's so ridiculous coz they charge guests more than 3 quids for lunch. Still, it's a wiser choice than having an uphill ride back to the college just for lunch.
Reply 25
Goldenratio
St Aidan's to science looks a trek! How far?

Maths is at science hill right?

10 mins or so there nearer 15 mins back as it's uphill all the way, it's not far
Abagnale
No, u can't just sign out on certain days coz it said in the handbook that u gotta sign out for the whole week (or whole term:confused: ). Im considering doing it. But then, if I do so, I will miss all the "nutritious" lunches at the Hotel on the hill while I will only get 80p in return?! That's so ridiculous coz they charge guests more than 3 quids for lunch. Still, it's a wiser choice than having an uphill ride back to the college just for lunch.

I quote from the handbook-

'If you do not wish to take lunch on a specific weekday,you may during the first full week of term only sign out for the whole term...'

That means,say,if I had a lecture at lunchtime on a Tuesday I could sign out of lunch for Tuesday only but that would mean I couldn't have lunch in college on Tuesday for the whole term.
Reply 27
Can't you just get a packed lunch from college on days you had lectures over lunchtime. That's what I did (from Chad's).
Yeah,that's what I was told when I visited and it says you can get them if you're observing Ramadan or if you're going on a trip but it doesn't mention getting them just because you have a lecture(this is Collingwood btw)??
Reply 29
Bit harsh if you can't get them. We just had to ask the day before or could say we needed one every Monday for example.
Reply 30
cherrychocolate
Yeah,that's what I was told when I visited and it says you can get them if you're observing Ramadan or if you're going on a trip but it doesn't mention getting them just because you have a lecture(this is Collingwood btw)??

you can get it for whateva reason you like as long as you fill in the form by the correct time
Ah,OK....er,goody.I was just going by what the handbook thing said!
RobbieC
Clearly sauced again Katarina!:biggrin:

Tonight I was designated driver. I got to drink lots of Pepsi (so am slightly hyper) and laugh at the drunk people. Also whup their asses at Singstar on the PS2 cos I was capable of following the lyrics/melody/holding the microphone.
how long does it take from castle to the physics department?

This depends on 3 things:
1) How late you are to hand in that homework.
2) Blood alcohol content (from the night before).
3) Number of umbrellas on Church Street.

Generally speaking it's about 12 mins, but it's been known to be done in 5 and take as long as 20.
Reply 34
oh boy, JB is like the other end of the law places. meh guess i'll just bring a bike.
Reply 35
That's 'cos Butler is in the middle of nowhere, as has been previously said.
Reply 36
cobra
you can get it for whateva reason you like as long as you fill in the form by the correct time

Does it apply to all Durham colleges?
Probably. I'm pretty sure they're required to provide you with lunch whether you can get there in serving time or not, as long as you let them know in advance.
At Hild Bede you ask at the meal time previous and they give you a pack there and then (if that makes sense). Then they put your mealcard in a special box so it doesn't get put out again next meal time (hence you can't get another meal).

Latest

Trending

Trending