The Student Room Group

Is There a Chance For Me to Get Into Cambridge?

I was wondering if you lovely people could enlighten me.

I am currently doing A- Levels ( Maths, AS Further Maths- May be extended to A2- English Literature and Philosophy.) and I wanted to study Philosophy or Philosophy
And my GCSES were not so impressive: 6 As 3Bs and 2 Cs. If I get 3 A*s and an A at A level is there a chance i could get into Cambridge? My personality is probably the best thing going for me now. I know I could talk easily and well but I don't know if my gcses will let me down.
Original post by Lairyfliquid
I was wondering if you lovely people could enlighten me.

I am currently doing A- Levels ( Maths, AS Further Maths- May be extended to A2- English Literature and Philosophy.) and I wanted to study Philosophy or Philosophy

Original post by Lairyfliquid
And my GCSES were not so impressive: 6 As 3Bs and 2 Cs. If I get 3 A*s and an A at A level is there a chance i could get into Cambridge? My personality is probably the best thing going for me now. I know I could talk easily and well but I don't know if my gcses will let me down.

You would do better posting in the Cambridge forum, but..

Cambridge place most emphasis on excellent UMS at AS/A2; is is Oxford that look most closely at GCSE results. Your personality will play only a minor role at best. Have a look at http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf to see the type of UMS/GCSE profile of Cambrige offer holders.

Also search through this thread (in which a Cambridge admissions tutor answers questions) for the subject(s) in which you are interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801773
I think GCSEs are less important for Cambridge than they are at Oxford, as Cambridge like you to have high UMS in your AS grades. The going average appears to be around a UMS of 90+, but 80+ will sometimes suffice if you write a good PS and interview well assuming your grades and PS were still good enough to get you the interview. If you can get some high grades in your AS subjects, then give Cambridge a go. I assume you're only just starting your AS levels, otherwise you'd have given more info on your attainment.
Reply 4
i applied successfully to cambridge last year and i was in the exact reverse position to you, i got 8A*s 3As at gcse but my alevel ums wasn't brilliant and they gave me an interview and then eventually an offer :smile: if you think you can get in then just apply even if there is a small chance just make sure your personal statement is good as a general rule they care much more about alevel ums and your performance in any admissions exams etc you have had to do than they do about gcse grades :smile: just put effort into those and if you don't get in it really isn't the end of the world

Quick Reply

Latest