The Student Room Group

Possibility of Taking full A2 & AS levels in one sitting with 5 months of preparation

Hi, will it be possible for me to take Edexcel's AS & A2 level exams in one sitting with just 5 months of preparation (starting from February)- as a private candidate? My subjects are: Math, Physics & Chemistry.
If you were Chinese, had private tutors, would probably say 9 months prep, oh and did I mention Chinese then it is possible.

yu no do FM?
Yeah, anything's possible remember.
Original post by cosmic93
Hi, will it be possible for me to take Edexcel's AS & A2 level exams in one sitting with just 5 months of preparation (starting from February)- as a private candidate? My subjects are: Math, Physics & Chemistry.

You will need a fourth one, even if it is only AS in addition.

If you are just opening the books to study those subjects,my advice is to drop A2 and do your AS.If you are not much concerned in getting higher grades that is if you are in a hurry then you can give it a try,but remember you can't change the system!!:wink:
Original post by Anonynous
Yeah, anything's possible remember.

And there is a limit for everything except your imagination!! :-)
It's possible.

But not sure about the practical elements.
Possible..in theory yes.

Spoiler

Original post by jammy4041
Possible..in theory yes.

Spoiler

Not true at all.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Not true at all.

On a slightly more serious note, with those subjects...in that little amount of time...presumably self-taught (or even going into the School/college)...I'm not buying it.

History...possibly. Maths A-level...possibly...but there are multiple modules. Physics A-Level was hard enough on the AQA board with two years preparation, an awesome teacher and a school environment. Add in chemistry as well...and...well.......................

On a practical level, how are you supposed to do the experiments to further your understanding and gain an appreciation of how certain scientists came to reach their theories?? In 5 months...that's not enough time.

OP, by all means go for it. It's good that you want to do A-levels, and if you want to do them in 5 months then great...good for you. But there are pitfalls and you have to be realistic. Did you mean that the exams are in February, or that you are starting the preparation in February?

It might be best to take a year out, and spread the study -- however you might do it -- over two years...and by having more time, your grades are likely to be better as a result.
(edited 9 years ago)

So in your other thread you enquired about doing igcse between now and the January exams. Now you want to self study 3 full A levels in tough subjects, starting in February and taking exams in May.
You haven't said anything about your prior education, academic aptitude, what support you have available or what your grade aspirations are. If you are a gifted student with a strong work ethic you could complete A level study more quickly than the 2 years students normally take. BUT. You seem to want to compress 4 years of study into about 6 months and I'd say unless you are some kind of academic genius you are not being realistic.

I'd suggest you do the igcse and see how you cope. If it goes well, start the AS study in February and enter for some of the AS exams in May/June. Aim to complete the A level exams in the January 2016 international A level sitting with a backup plan for exams in summer 2016 if required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
thank u all.
thank u all.

Go for it. Do your best. You can do it ok. Don't you dare let anyone tell you, that you can't do it.

With hard work, you will see the fruits!

Quick Reply

Latest