The Student Room Group

Is it okay if I say I went to Uni for 3 years on my CV

Under education history I'll just put the 3 years (I did kinda do) and then the Computer Science (BSc) after it with no grade recorded since I dropped out (do you have to put your uni grade down in your cv). I'll even send my cv using the Uni email address I still have or give it to them as a contact reference..

Not really lying is it?

Could always lie in the interview when asked about my grades and say 2:1 or 1st and I doubt they'd have a voice recorder in there to prove I was lying if I get caught.

Seems fool-proof, no?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Let us know how you got on :lol:
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Let us know how you got on :lol:

I have my cv laid out like this:

Dates - School/University - Qualifications Level - Grade

Done this for my education history layout.

What could I put under the grade section to make it look like I never dropped out but I'm not lying either? Was thinking of just leaving it blank.

Do people even put their uni grade on their cv?
That's really your problem.
Don't do it it may bite you on the bum months down the line

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HowDoIget4Astars
I have my cv laid out like this:

Dates - School/University - Qualifications Level - Grade

Done this for my education history layout.

What could I put under the grade section to make it look like I never dropped out but I'm not lying either? Was thinking of just leaving it blank.

Do people even put their uni grade on their cv?

If its relevant to the job (i.e. 2.1 or 1st) then yes they do, but this is a joke, right? Of course its lying if you never completed the course :rolleyes:
Original post by Olie
If its relevant to the job (i.e. 2.1 or 1st) then yes they do, but this is a joke, right? Of course its lying if you never completed the course :rolleyes:

It's not lying since I was at uni in the time periods I'm putting down . Putting a grade down would be lying on the otherhand. I can save the lying for the face to face interview where he won't have a voice recorder to prove I'm lying I'm sure.
Under education history I'll just put the 3 years (I did kinda do) and then the Computer Science (BSc) after it with no grade recorded since I dropped out (do you have to put your uni grade down in your cv). I'll even send my cv using the Uni email address I still have or give it to them as a contact reference..

Not really lying is it?

Could always lie in the interview when asked about my grades and say 2:1 or 1st and I doubt they'd have a voice recorder in there to prove I was lying if I get caught.

Seems fool-proof, no?

On a different thread to said you only went for a year and a half.
You didn't actually do the whole degree, I wouldn't put it in. If you were to put it in, I'd advise you to explain that you dropped out. I'd still go for the former.
Mike Ross...is that you?
Original post by Coffeetime
On a different thread to said you only went for a year and a half.

That's why I said "(I did kinda do)" after I said I did 3 years at the course. I was part time for a bit and changed courses (which I believe I said in that thread) but they both come under the computer science school and are BSc Hons.

The months I kinda lied about since I left in January rather than July (Graduation time) but I could just say that's a simple mistake from not remembering fully.

Anyways what do I put down? The jobs I'm looking for aren't relevant to my degree really, they just make me seem like less of a screw up.
Reply 11
Don't even put down the fact that you went to uni.
That's why I said "(I did kinda do)" after I said I did 3 years at the course. I was part time for a bit and changed courses (which I believe I said in that thread) but they both come under the computer science school and are BSc Hons.

The months I kinda lied about since I left in January rather than July (Graduation time) but I could just say that's a simple mistake from not remembering fully.

Anyways what do I put down? The jobs I'm looking for aren't relevant to my degree really, they just make me seem like less of a screw up.

You should be completely honest about the time you went.
Original post by Ndella
Don't even put down the fact that you went to uni.

Too big of a time gap between CV then (although I did work part time in Asda throughout lulz).
Original post by Coffeetime
You should be completely honest about the time you went.

To who? I literally remove my Uni years from my head since the time-waste is something I can't comprehend it's like a relative dying or something. This forum is one of the first times I've been somewhat open (even though I try to downplay it and still use white lies, like you said) about my timewasting. Being completely honest doesn't cut it in this world and I've found that out from working other jobs, you'll get stepped over so easily, it's hilarious. I have no lies on my CV and this isn't even a lie in reality.

I wanna know about if people left their grades out of their degree and how they did it. Could I put "n/a" there? "undisclosed"? "Lie"? The job I'm applying for isn't related to the Computer Science degree I did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stewarte
You didn't actually do the whole degree, I wouldn't put it in. If you were to put it in, I'd advise you to explain that you dropped out. I'd still go for the former.

I agree with stewarte - if you're going to mention you went to university, don't lie and say you completed the course - surely, if it's a relevant course for the job you want and you dropped out of uni, perhaps you won't like the job? Or if it's a completely unrelated job, does it matter that you dropped out?
Original post by ifyouseelaura
I agree with stewarte - if you're going to mention you went to university, don't lie and say you completed the course - surely, if it's a relevant course for the job you want and you dropped out of uni, perhaps you won't like the job? Or if it's a completely unrelated job, does it matter that you dropped out?

Unrelated jobs it does matter for since it shows bad ethics.

I'm in between putting "undisclosed" or leaving my grade blank atm. Whoever chooses first wins.
Don't lie or mislead. You'll only get sacked if it all comes out later.
Original post by Crumpet1
Don't lie or mislead. You'll only get sacked if it all comes out later.

Don't care if I get sacked, only care about getting done for fraud.

I was being educated those 3 years I put down, I simply didn't complete my course, that's not misleading or lying.

Me telling the interviewer that I got a 2:1 or a 1st would be lying.
Incredibly stupid idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending