The Student Room Group

Father's educational achievements strongest indicator of childrens' academic success

Interesting for a couple of reasons, I think:

1) The father is still the most significant influence in the family.

2) Self-perpetuating 'cycle of poverty exists', and school/the education system isn't doing enough to alleviate it.

3) According to the report, this has a more significant impact in the UK than it does anywhere else in the EU.

“But there is evidence that children and parents from poorer backgrounds develop lower expectations as children grow older they stop believing that their children will be able to achieve high ambitions, or do not know how to help them do so”

Scroll to see replies

Makes sense.
Original post by Okorange
Makes sense.

Why does it make sense?

I was honestly a bit surprised that the difference between Mum/Dad was that significant.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Why does it make sense?

I was honestly a bit surprised that the difference between Mum/Dad was that significant.

The Mum/Dad difference is actually quite significant, I don't know why. My mom was much more involved in my education than my dad and I think this is generally the case?

But the fact that your environment and genetics play a big role in how you turn out makes a lot of sense to me. It would be no different from a sports star having kids that turn out to be great athletes.
Well my dad was a science grad that worked in a science based industry. I'm somewhat emulating him. It's a case of if he can do it then so can I.
Original post by Okorange
The Mum/Dad difference is actually quite significant, I don't know why. My mom was much more involved in my education than my dad and I think this is generally the case?

But the fact that your environment and genetics play a big role in how you turn out makes a lot of sense to me. It would be no different from a sports star having kids that turn out to be great athletes.

The cycle of poverty certainly makes sense, and I really don't feel like the government is intervening enough to prevent it... especially considering that the UK falls behind the rest of europe on this. :s-smilie:

I don't know about who plays the most significant role... I wonder if this has something to do with single parents being mainly mothers and correlations between educational achievement being a single parent and educational achievement being the child of a single parent?
Well my dad was a Chemist and I am now doing biomedical sciences, but he was in no way an influence to me or my life as he wasn't around post 4 years old so, but I guess genetically it may have been a factor but I doubt very much of one? I don't know.
Original post by SophieSmall
Well my dad was a Chemist and I am now doing biomedical sciences, but he was in no way an influence to me or my life as he wasn't around post 4 years old so, but I guess genetically it may have been a factor but I doubt very much of one? I don't know.

I'd imagine that social influences are more important than genetics. :smile:

The research just shows an indication. :smile: It's not going to fit for everyone. :smile: Both my parents ahve PhDs and I only ahve an undergrad, for example. :tongue:
I'd imagine that social influences are more important than genetics. :smile:

The research just shows an indication. :smile: It's not going to fit for everyone. :smile: Both my parents ahve PhDs and I only ahve an undergrad, for example. :tongue:

Aye that's true, I doubt it is really much of a factor at all.

to be fair postgrad is extremely difficult to get funding for nowadays so I think that's probably more economical if you have tried :P
Aye that's true, I doubt it is really much of a factor at all.

to be fair postgrad is extremely difficult to get funding for nowadays so I think that's probably more economical if you have tried :P

I imagine genetics have some influence on genetics [edit: I'm good at this], but I'd imagine social factors probably far, far outweigh that.

I have no desire to do a postgrad. :lol: Especially after watching some of my friends go through PhDs... looks... stressful...

Are you going to do a postgrad do you think? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I imagine genetics have some influence on genetics, but I'd imagine social factors probably far, far outweigh that.

I have no desire to do a postgrad. :lol: Especially after watching some of my friends go through PhDs... looks... stressful...

Are you going to do a postgrad do you think? :smile:

Well aye some genetics of course :tongue: and I imagine intelligence probably correlates but as for the rest, doubt it.

Yeah I really want to do postgrad when I've finished my undergrad, already planning it :tongue:
I imagine genetics have some influence on genetics

:facepalm:

It's too early in the morning.

Well aye some genetics of course :tongue: and I imagine intelligence probably correlates but as for the rest, doubt it.

Yeah I really want to do postgrad when I've finished my undergrad, already planning it :tongue:

That's awesome :biggrin: I hope it goes well for you :smile:
:facepalm:

It's too early in the morning.

That's awesome :biggrin: I hope it goes well for you :smile:

Hehe I knew what you meant :tongue:
And thank you!
Why does it make sense?

I think the difference between the mother's and father's influence is significant for a couple of reasons. My theory is as follows:

It only takes one parent who has done very well academically or in their career, to make it occur to the child that such heights are realistically achievable and within their grasp too. That parent will have successfully "been through the system" once, and will have the experience to advise their child as to how to be successful too. And so, whichever parent did better is likely to be the one whose achievements the child will be aiming to live up to. The other parent is much less relevant in that respect.

Also, the parents' wealth will play a significant part in determining how well the child does. It may allow the child to go to a private school or to live in the catchment area of a good state school. It may enable parents to provide tutors and other educational resources for their child. It may fund the child through university, so they can focus on their studies rather than worrying about getting part time jobs or other financial troubles.

Most of the time, the parent who has done better academically and in their career, and who is contributing the most money that will be invested (either directly or indirectly) in their child's education will be the father. The reasons for this are more or less obvious: men are seen to be the breadwinners, they have more pressure to achieve financial success, women tend to want to "marry upwards" rather than downwards etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a higher level of education and literacy than either of my parents, who are both stay-at-home benefit claimants. :dontknow:

My dad has never worked in living memory, and I'm 23. His highest qualification is equivalent to GCSE.

My mum has one O Level to her name. She was also on benefits when I was a child. She then worked in a kitchen part-time for some years before deciding she'd had enough and going back to the benefits.

I'm a full-time worker who is qualified to NVQ Level 4 (above A Level). I have 8 A/A* GCSEs to my name. I am also looking at juggling a degree with work.

I guess I'm a minority though. :erm:

2) Self-perpetuating 'cycle of poverty exists', and school/the education system isn't doing enough to alleviate it.

3) According to the report, this has a more significant impact in the UK than it does anywhere else in the EU.

That's certainly not the case in my family

1. My mum had more significant influence on my eduction because she worked part time so was always there to help when I was younger.

2. You're implying there that lack of educational success = poverty which isn't the case in my family either as neither were academically that successful but worked hard to be successful in the workplace.

3. That does surprise me but I guess the UK has the best universities in Europe so if it was to happen anywhere it would be here.

My mums a governed at my old school and says that the date from results suggest year on year that those in poverty often achieve the worst grades although there could be many reasons for this

gotta take issue with your points 1 & 2

could be the mother is the most important influence, but that mothers who educationally 'marry down' are different to mothers who 'marry up'

The free school meals gap
isn't affected by school quality (as determined by ofsted) - it's become like a mantra for politicians of all parties that schools should be fixing the social mobility problem... but maybe that's asking too much, perhaps we should stop beasting teachers and think about changing something else.
Original post by Joinedup
gotta take issue with your points 1 & 2

could be the mother is the most important influence, but that mothers who educationally 'marry down' are different to mothers who 'marry up'

The free school meals gap
isn't affected by school quality (as determined by ofsted) - it's become like a mantra for politicians of all parties that schools should be fixing the social mobility problem... but maybe that's asking too much, perhaps we should stop beasting teachers and think about changing something else.

That's a fair point, but it's still interesting that the father remains the most significant indicator.

I was also wondering if high achieving academic/career women don't have as many children....?

I read about that free school meals/Ofsted report... made another thread on it somewhere I think. Teachers are overworked and under resourced as it is. There's certainly something which needs to change.
dad is a surgeon, i wanna be a surgeon

makes sense
Original post by bertstare
dad is a surgeon, i wanna be a surgeon

makes sense

I thought it was supposed to go: Dad is a surgeon, so I wanna dye my hair green and be a punk rocker....?

:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending