The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies

I know there are posts from a few years back on this course but is anyone studying it now just have a few questions?

I want to become a commercial pilot in the future however as this is difficult I was wondering what the back ups planes include? If all fails I would hope to go into ATC or ground handling.

Do you get a PPL as part of the course?

Thanks in advance
You only get 10 free hours of flying included in the course - the rest is theory. I can only speculate as it was my insurance choice and I am doing Aeronautical Engineering instead...

Honestly, getting into commercial flying is extremely difficult, whilst the course will help you - it means nothing unless you've got the extra cash to subside the rest of those lessons. And for a PPL, you're going to need a very minimum of 45 hours flying.
Without all the ground school tests and the medical exam from the CAA which costs £340 something, the course only really helps you if you have money to get the rest of those hours.

As for ATC or ground handling, I cannot speak really. But piloting is so competitive now that you need top grades, a hell of a lot of money unless you're extremely lucky to get a scholarship or support to get to a commercial license grade, which if i recall correctly, you need approximately 200 flying hours to attain....

When I was doing my PPL, at the VERY minimum of 45 hours (but this only happens if you're exceptionally good, or you fly like twice a week - most people pass in about 60 or 75) you're looking at around £6000+

For commercial, I think its 200 hours, so you're looking at about £30k.

Personally, I'd say try getting a scholarship for it!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by sticky0wl
You only get 10 free hours of flying included in the course - the rest is theory. I can only speculate as it was my insurance choice and I am doing Aeronautical Engineering instead...

Honestly, getting into commercial flying is extremely difficult, whilst the course will help you - it means nothing unless you've got the extra cash to subside the rest of those lessons. And for a PPL, you're going to need a very minimum of 45 hours flying.
Without all the ground school tests and the medical exam from the CAA which costs £340 something, the course only really helps you if you have money to get the rest of those hours.

As for ATC or ground handling, I cannot speak really. But piloting is so competitive now that you need top grades, a hell of a lot of money unless you're extremely lucky to get a scholarship or support to get to a commercial license grade, which if i recall correctly, you need approximately 200 flying hours to attain....

When I was doing my PPL, at the VERY minimum of 45 hours (but this only happens if you're exceptionally good, or you fly like twice a week - most people pass in about 60 or 75) you're looking at around £6000+

For commercial, I think its 200 hours, so you're looking at about £30k.

Personally, I'd say try getting a scholarship for it!

It's only competitive at the job end, not to actually get into flight school - you just need the money. If by "commercial" license, you mean an ATPL (as opposed to a CPL, you need an ATPL to become a commercial airline pilot) you'd be looking at ~£100k and then potentially having to pay for your own type-rating on top, which is another £20-40k.
Original post by Noble.
It's only competitive at the job end, not to actually get into flight school - you just need the money. If by "commercial" license, you mean an ATPL (as opposed to a CPL, you need an ATPL to become a commercial airline pilot) you'd be looking at ~£100k and then potentially having to pay for your own type-rating on top, which is another £20-40k.

Sorry, yeah this is what I meant :smile: long day of lectures has taken it's toll.

Quick Reply

Latest