The Student Room Group

Uni students/graduates: Have you used your careers service?

Can one succeed in applications and interviews (numerous times) without the help of the university careers service? Was this the case for you?

I went to mine for the first time today for a CV check (just graduated, was foolish to not use it during uni but what's done is done), and in my opinion I didn't find it that useful. I'm a bit disappointed because I know I have a lot of work to do on my CV but the feedback wasn't that great.

First, I asked her to see if the layout of my CV was satisfactory. She avoided the question and talked about something else. I asked her again and she still didn't give me a direct answer. The reason why I ask is because I haven't had a professional look over my CV before, just my family.

Secondly, I noticed that when I ask her a question about something she always uses the "in my opinion" which I feel is a getaway card. Now obviously, no CV is perfect but the amount of times she has used that (is that normal?). Furthermore, I asked her what she would recommend I should do (in relation to some parts of my CV) to which she replied, "it's up to you". I mean, I know it's up to me but I asked her, if she was in my position, what would she do?

And thirdly, she gave me a cv template organised by the careers group, university of london and told me to follow it. However, from what I have read, it has contradicted a few points that she has made.

Even though it was her first day today at university, she told me that she was in HR for marketing so I thought she could help guide me

After the session, I politely asked a woman at the desk if I could see another person for a second opinion and she just flipped like the old hag that she is. No doubt she will tell the person I had the CV session with that; I feel like I'm now blacklisted at my careers service. I travelled miles and miles and paid a lot of money on my train fare to get to my university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by loloway
Can one succeed in applications and interviews (numerous times) without the help of the university careers service? Was this the case for you?

I went to mine for the first time today for a CV check (just graduated, was foolish to not use it during uni but what's done is done), and in my opinion I didn't find it that useful. I'm a bit disappointed because I know I have a lot of work to do on my CV but the feedback wasn't that great.

First, I asked her to see if the layout of my CV was satisfactory. She avoided the question and talked about something else. I asked her again and she still didn't give me a direct answer. The reason why I ask is because I haven't had a professional look over my CV before, just my family.

Secondly, I noticed that when I ask her a question about something she always uses the "in my opinion" which I feel is a getaway card. Now obviously, no CV is perfect but the amount of times she has used that (is that normal?). Furthermore, I asked her what she would recommend I should do (in relation to some parts of my CV) to which she replied, "it's up to you". I mean, I know it's up to me but I asked her, if she was in my position, what would she do?

And thirdly, she gave me a cv template organised by the careers group, university of london and told me to follow it. However, from what I have read, it has contradicted a few points that she has made.

Even though it was her first day today at university, she told me that she was in HR for marketing so I thought she could help guide me

After the session, I politely asked a woman at the desk if I could see another person for a second opinion and she just flipped like the old hag that she is. No doubt she will tell the person I had the CV session with that; I feel like I'm now blacklisted at my careers service. I travelled miles and miles and paid a lot of money on my train fare to get to my university.

I've used two Uni's careers services. The first one where I did my bachelors, doesn't really have a good careers service at all imo, seemed very limited and small. They only provided me with a CV check and didn't help with any internships, potential jobs or anything like that. The amount of money they get and all they do is CV checking really. The second was at my masters uni, far better experience. They checked my CV, provided feedback like the first Uni and then I organised a meeting with them, they also linked me to potential jobs in my field that would be suitable for a graduate through linkedin. The job I ultimately found was not due to them but they did legitimately offer some useful advice.
Went to see them once and it was utterly useless if i'm being honest.

I haven't got a clue what I want to do with my life, what to apply for or where to look to see whats out there... I explained this situation and nothing they said even remotely tried to help me with this. All they said was that my CV was good.
The only time I used mine was when I went to see them about Master's funding options, to which he replied "don't do a Master's, it's pointless."

Don't think Postgrad Admissions would have been very happy to hear him!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending