The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NineBurgundy
You know, I was hopeful about my Cambridge application, but seeing this thread there's really no point at all. Oh well.

Username: NineBurgundy
College: Robinson
Course: English Lit.
GCSE: 6A*, 6A
AS: AAAAB
A2 Predictions: A*A*A
UMS:
English:186
History: 183
Philosophy: 185
Latin: 150

Top 3 Average: 92.3%

Extracurricular: EPQ, lectures, a lot of reading, tutoring younger academic scholars, DofE Gold, etc.

that average is pretty good for arts u know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Viceroy
Seems to be a desire for a page of this sort amongst the 2015 applicants, so here we have one (mods can replace this with something more permanent if they wish).

I will create a master list on this first post as people add their info to this thread.

Your post should include:
- Username
- College
- Course
- Grades/Qualifications/Academic info

QUOTE ME so I can add you. I'll try to have as much relevant info as possible in the master list, but if something's missing, let me know.

---- 2015 Master List ----

Spoiler

Hey all, I'm applying post A-levels.

Username: mjal
College: St. John's
Course: Geography
GCSE's: 4 A*s, 4 As, 1 B
A2: A*A*A* (average of 92% across all three, with 99% in Geography)

This thread is perplexing. I can't decide whether to be hopeful or not.
Original post by Viceroy
Seems to be a desire for a page of this sort amongst the 2015 applicants, so here we have one (mods can replace this with something more permanent if they wish).

I will create a master list on this first post as people add their info to this thread.

- Username
- College
- Course

QUOTE ME so I can add you. I'll try to have as much relevant info as possible in the master list, but if something's missing, let me know.

Spoiler

Username: fajita.and.friends
Course: Linguistics
College: King's
GCSEs: 9A* 3A
AS: AAAA (top 3 average UMS 92.5%)
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

-FuzzingSas
-St Cats
-HSPS
-GCSE: 7A*s 2As 3Bs
AS: AAA(Geography, biology, philosophy+ethics)B (Eng lit) (Top 3 = 89%)
A2 (p) A*A*A
EPQ
Extenuating circumstances
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EHZ17
Username: EHZ17
Course: Economics
College: St. Catherine's or Emmanuel
GCSEs: 7A* 2A 1C (Spanish)
AS: AAAA
A2 Predicted: A*A*A* w/ A in AS FM
UMS best 3: 99.22% (Econ at 100, Maths at 97.67)

I notice from your profile that you got 97 maths, 81 physics, 100 economics and 100 English. Well done. you also say you did further maths to AS. Can I just ask, is the 97.67% in maths an aggregate of Maths and FM, because as I understand it they will incorporate the FM results into maths and double weight that ums when combined with your English and economics. My point is that unless the 97.67 includes FM then your best 3 UMS will not be 99.22%.

You also seem not to have done FM to A2, instead continuing Physics to A level. It is just that my understanding is that FM is described as very useful for Economics by Cambridge.
I hope you don't mind me asking but I am intrigued why you pursued physics rather than FM to A2.
Original post by Zero to Hero
I notice from your profile that you got 97 maths, 81 physics, 100 economics and 100 English. Well done. you also say you did further maths to AS. Can I just ask, is the 97.67% in maths an aggregate of Maths and FM, because as I understand it they will incorporate the FM results into maths and double weight that ums when combined with your English and economics. My point is that unless the 97.67 includes FM then your best 3 UMS will not be 99.22%.

You also seem not to have done FM to A2, instead continuing Physics to A level. It is just that my understanding is that FM is described as very useful for Economics by Cambridge.
I hope you don't mind me asking but I am intrigued why you pursued physics rather than FM to A2.

No problem at all.

I am in the process of doing AS FM now. After not doing it at AS, I have DROPPED Physics and now do FP1, S1 and S2 as part of FM.

My best 3 UMS in 99.223% due to these factors. FM is desirable and AS FM is enough to not be significantly disadvantaged. With the S1 and S2, I shouldn't be behind anyone doing A2 FM as the Econ course is very much stats based.

So to summarise, I am currently doing an A2 in Maths, Econ and English and an AS in FM.

What I put down on the thing you quoted was my predicted grades. I am predicted 3 A*s in my A2 subjects and an A in AS FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EHZ17
No problem at all.

I am in the process of doing AS FM now. After not doing it at AS, I have DROPPED Physics and now do FP1, S1 and S2 as part of FM.

My best 3 UMS in 99.223% due to these factors. FM is desirable and AS FM is enough to not be significantly disadvantaged. With the S1 and S2, I shouldn't be behind anyone doing A2 FM as the Econ course is very much stats based.

So to summarise, I am currently doing an A2 in Maths, Econ and English and an AS in FM.

What I put down on the thing you quoted was my predicted grades. I am predicted 3 A*s in my A2 subjects and an A in AS FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. you did Physics AS in year 12 and doing FM AS in year 13.

It makes more sense now, so you will end up with 3 A levels and 2 ASs.

I don't really know what weight Cambridge put on FM for Economics. I have seen conflicting figures. I have seen a statistic that 50% have FM A2, 25% FM to AS and 25% no FM yet others have quoted that 90% have Further Maths. However, I don't know how many apply with FM to know if they actually favour it or not. I guess if they do value FM they can make your offer conditional on an A at AS FM ( which I am sure won't be a problem given your maths UMS).

Good luck.
Original post by Zero to Hero
Oh I see. you did Physics AS in year 12 and doing FM AS in year 13.

It makes more sense now, so you will end up with 3 A levels and 2 ASs.

I don't really know what weight Cambridge put on FM for Economics. I have seen conflicting figures. I have seen a statistic that 50% have FM A2, 25% FM to AS and 25% no FM yet others have quoted that 90% have Further Maths. However, I don't know how many apply with FM to know if they actually favour it or not. I guess if they do value FM they can make your offer conditional on an A at AS FM ( which I am sure won't be a problem given your maths UMS).

Good luck.

On their site it says "Useful AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics", inferring that AS level FM should suffice. I have also seen that 90% of offers go to candidates with at least AS FM. I think I should be okay with what I am doing. Just need to get an interview! Good luck to you too.
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Spoiler

Username: Cosmologist
College: Open application
Course Mathematics
GCSEs: Did not take any exams.
Actual A2: A*A*A*A*
UMS across 3 relevant subjects: 88%
UMS across 3 best subjects: 92%
UMS across all 4 subjects: 90%
Advanced Extension Award - Merit
SAT Physics - 800
SAT Maths Level 1 - 800
SAT Maths Level 2 - 800
Russian Diploma with GPA of 4.5 out 5.0
Prize Winner of Russian mathematical and physical Olympiads
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cosmologist
Username: Cosmologist
College: Open application
Course Mathematics
GCSEs: Did not take any exams.
Actual A2: A*A*A*A*
UMS across 3 relevant subjects: 88%
UMS across 3 best subjects: 92%
UMS across all 4 subjects: 90%
Advanced Extension Award - Merit
SAT Physics - 800
SAT Maths Level 1 - 800
SAT Maths Level 2 - 800
Russian Diploma with GPA of 4.5 out 5.0
Prize Winner of Russian mathematical and physical Olympiads

what mark in maths and further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
what mark in maths and further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths - 92%
Further Maths - 84% (M1 - 67/100 lol)
F.M.+M. - 88%
Edexcel

You? 574/600, but what are your scores separately?
and examining board?
Maths - 92%
F.M.+M. - 88%
Edexcel

and examining board?

yep 574/600 thats as maths and further maths edexcel exam board
C1 100
C2 94 wtf i though tanx=cosx/sinx it was a bad day
S1 83 no excuse im just crap at stats
FP1 97
M1 100
M2 100
i love mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths - 92%
F.M.+M. - 88%
Edexcel

and examining board?

your scores are weak for maths at cambridge but considering your not from uk and uve won the olympiad and great sat scores im guessing they wont mind lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths - 92%
F.M.+M. - 88%
Edexcel

and examining board?

im hoping u dont get pooled to my college!

Posted from TSR Mobile
yep 574/600 thats as maths and further maths edexcel exam board
C1 100
C2 94 wtf i though tanx=cosx/sinx it was a bad day
S1 83 no excuse im just crap at stats
FP1 97
M1 100
M2 100
i love mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin: What an irony! In contrast, I enjoyed modules of Statistics
My performance in maths & further maths:
C1 - 95/100
C2 - 87/100
C3 - 100/100
C4 - 99/100
S1 - 81/100 (I forgot to take out a mobile from my pocket in time, so edexcel penalised me by nullifying my scores and next summer I completely forgot the content of the unit and got this 81)
D1 - 88/100
M2 - 86/100
FP1 - 82/100
FP2 - 90/100
S2 - 96/100
S3 - 80/100
M1 - 67/100

well, I would not also prefer to confront my application to yours neither in your college, nor in the winter pool :smile:
really, you think my A-Level application for Mathematics is weak even with actual 4A*s?
(edited 9 years ago)
your scores are weak for maths at cambridge but considering your not from uk and uve won the olympiad and great sat scores im guessing they wont mind lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, I got accepted into UCL on maths for the course 2014
but I did not go and decided if I leave the country, then for a good reason - really strong academic institution that would be rewarding for me, and I wish it will be Cambridge
:biggrin: What an irony! In contrast, I enjoyed modules of Statistics
My performance in maths & further maths:
C1 - 95/100
C2 - 87/100
C3 - 100/100
C4 - 99/100
S1 - 81/100 (I forgot to take out a mobile from my pocket in time, so edexcel penalised me by nullifying my scores and next summer I completely forgot the content of the unit and got this 81)
D1 - 88/100
M2 - 86/100
FP1 - 82/100
FP2 - 90/100
S2 - 96/100
S3 - 80/100
M1 - 67/100

well, I would not also prefer to collide my application with yours neither in your college, nor in the winter pool :smile:
really, you think my A-Level application for Mathematics is weak even with actual 4A*s?

i dont think it will matter that much because of your SAT scores and olympiadsuccess. If it was A level on its own it would be really weak especially with low a's in fp1 and c in m1 etc. u will be fine honestly because of your other qualifications ( if sat is out of 800 im guessing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
i dont think it will matter that much because of your SAT scores and olympiadsuccess. If it was A level on its own it would be really weak especially with low a's in fp1 and c in m1 etc. u will be fine honestly because of your other qualifications ( if sat is out of 800 im guessing)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they are out of 800
Ok, thanks, I am quite confident you' ll impress adm officers in Fitzwilliam
just dont fail that interview
you will have a 'preparatory study' at interview, do u have any idea what that is about?
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Spoiler

Nice one! Did you integrate my list from the Cam thread into this? :smile: