The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Anyone studying Politics Law Philosophy LLB?

Hey,

I was really enticed by this course, but i'm worried that it will be more stressful than Law alone. I was wondering if anyone from Kings is studying on the forum - and could give an insight on work loads, lecture quality and individual learning. Does it affect the social life?

thanks
Reply 1
It's been more holistic and fun, if anything. Less legal modules per year compared to the straight LLB degree course.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by zizi.karl
It's been more holistic and fun, if anything. Less legal modules per year compared to the straight LLB degree course.

Are there really only 30 places available? Really want to do it i'm just worried about the places/grades, cost of London and whether i'd be more employable as a Solicitor.
The funny thing is that people on the straight LLB course aren't (despite what some of them may think) training to be lawyers - they're undertaking an academic course for the sake of interest and intellectual development, which happens to be law. So if your main goal is to be a solicitor, in fact whatever your goal is, the best thing is to study what most interests you academically, whether or not that's law, because it's that natural innate interest which is all about you, which is necessary for you to want to study the subject properly, whatever it is, and allow you to get good grades. I think only about 50% of solicitors do law degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by Jonathan75
The funny thing is that people on the straight LLB course aren't (despite what some of them may think) training to be lawyers - they're undertaking an academic course for the sake of interest and intellectual development, which happens to be law. So if your main goal is to be a solicitor, in fact whatever your goal is, the best thing is to study what most interests you academically, whether or not that's law, because it's that natural innate interest which is all about you, which is necessary for you to want to study the subject properly, whatever it is, and allow you to get good grades. I think only about 50% of solicitors do law degrees.

Thanks for the advice - I was looking at PPL because it's Law with 2 of my favourite subjects. I'm applying for Philosophy/Law at multiple uni's, hoping to go become a solicitor.
Original post by OwennB
Thanks for the advice - I was looking at PPL because it's Law with 2 of my favourite subjects. I'm applying for Philosophy/Law at multiple uni's, hoping to go become a solicitor.

Law + philosophy (and PPL) sound like good choices for you from what you've said your interests and goals are. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jonathan75
Law + philosophy (and PPL) sound like good choices for you from what you've said your interests and goals are. Good luck!

I'm just wondering whether it's worth an application spot, 30 places available and i'm predicted 3 As :/
Reply 7
Original post by OwennB
Are there really only 30 places available? Really want to do it i'm just worried about the places/grades, cost of London and whether i'd be more employable as a Solicitor.
There are approximately only thirty places on the degree course. The published figures do suggest that starting salaries are slightly higher for PPL graduates, and it is a more well-rounded university experience in terms of studies. If you think you have the intellect to take on the challenges of such a broad degree, then by all means submit a strong application and just hope for the best! King's is honestly unrivalled in terms of opportunities in central and west end London whether directly related to your future career or not.

p.s. I rarely check the forums so message me if you have any questions about the course, King's College or London in general.
(edited 9 years ago)
How did you find out that only thirty places were available for the course?
Reply 9
Anyone here heard anything back?
Original post by jdein123
Anyone here heard anything back?

No! its been since october, i figure they are going to hold off until march unfortunately.
Which is the more respected degree? PPL or PPE?
Heard back today! 😃😃😃 has anyone else???
I finally received an email from Kings, thankfully it came with an offer of A*AA (which is surprising as I only scored 19 in the LNAT)
I finally received an email from Kings, thankfully it came with an offer of A*AA (which is surprising as I only scored 19 in the LNAT)

That's great, bet you're relieved! Are you going to firm it?
Original post by Elliottstenson
That's great, bet you're relieved! Are you going to firm it?

I'm going to try to defer for a year to work abroad and go travelling, but yeah i am happy - it was my first choice (and had no success with my second choice).

What did KCL reply to you?
Reply 16
I'm going to try to defer for a year to work abroad and go travelling, but yeah i am happy - it was my first choice (and had no success with my second choice).

What did KCL reply to you?

got an offer today! really happy about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest