The Student Room Group

2nd year application changes from living at home to moving out

Hello, I'm really struggling at the moment trying to work this out. In my first year I was living at home and received maximum grant and loan giving me a little over £2000 every payday, I know people who don't live at home get a little extra for maintenance (maybe around £800). Anyway, I did my application and signed the declaration form for my second year under the impression I would keep living at home for the year. Due to changes at home I need to move out (hopefully a student house share). I rang student finance asking if my maintenence would increase otherwise I won't be able to afford moving out, the woman on the phone said it wouldn't change at all. she mentioned something about me needing to prove ive supported myself for 3 years beforehand for my money to increase but of course I can't because I haven't been supporting myself for 3 years. I don't understand at all since I know a bunch of people whose finance is significantlyore increased due to not living at home with parents. What should I do? Was I given the wrong information on the phone?
Hi, if you are receiving over £2000 a payment that to me would indicate we have you as living elsewhere all ready. What you should do is call 0300 100 0607 and ask are you set a living with parent or elsewhere. If they say elsewhere there is no other funding available to you. If you are living with parents they can re-assess the application for more funding. Please ignore the 3 years supporting yourself is to be classed as independent so if sponsored by parental income last year you would not be applicable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending