The Student Room Group

DofE questions

I signed up to do silver award this year (DofE), however, last year, I didn't partake in the bronze award bc there were limited spaces, and right now I'm not too sure what extra/additional volunteering I'd have to do bc I didn't do the bronze. My teacher briefly explained to me that I'd have to do six months of volunteering and six months of new skills (apparently, normally, its 3 months, but 6 for those who haven't completed bronze) and then there was the physical activity, which I dont even know.
I'm really confused; do I do all three? How much do I do of each?
And what are examples of new skills and physical activities I can get involved in?
Also, where would you recommend I volunteer at? (I'm currently thinking at the library)
+ Any extra useful information will be deeply appreciated, thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the exact same thing last year. I've never done bronze either, therefore I had to do 6 months of volunteering, 6 months skill and 3 months physical. However if you want to do 6 months physical, 6 months volunteering and 3 months skill that's fine, as long as you did something for 3 months and whatever is left for 6 months then you're okay. Skills and physical activities can be anything, I did photography as a skill and physical, well I just went to the gym. You can look up the list of what you can do online or just ask your supervisor ? I volunteered in British Heart Foundation and it was quite fun, 6 months went by really fast.
The expedition itself is.. well hard, so be ready for that in advance, however if that helps the experience is fun. Expedition lasted for 3 days if I remember it right and each day we had to walk around 6-7 hours so be ready for back ache, feet ache and exhaustion as you will be sleeping in a tent. On a good side its only 3 days you can deal with it, it will be totally worth it.
Original post by readingblack
I signed up to do silver award this year (DofE), however, last year, I didn't partake in the bronze award bc they were limited spaces, and so, right now, am not too sure what extra/additional volunteering I'd have to do bc I didn't do the bronze. My teacher briefly explained to me that I'd have to do six months of volunteering and six months of new skills (apparently, normally, its 3 months, but 6 for those who haven't completed bronze) and then there was the physical activity, which I dont even know.
I'm really confused; do I do all three? How much do I do of each?
And what are examples of new skills and physical activities I can get involved in?
Also, where would you recommend I volunteer at? (I'm currently thinking at the library)
+ Any extra useful information will be deeply appreciated, thank you.

From the DofE website:
"A Silver DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You need to do at least 6 months Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer."

"If you start your Silver without doing Bronze first you’ll have to do an extra 6 months volunteering or doing whichever of the Physical or Skills sections you have spent more time on. Though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section."

Is that any clearer?

You can have a look at some for the suggested ideas for the sections here :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Black Rose
From the DofE website:
"A Silver DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You need to do at least 6 months Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer."

"If you start your Silver without doing Bronze first you’ll have to do an extra 6 months volunteering or doing whichever of the Physical or Skills sections you have spent more time on. Though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section."

Is that any clearer?

You can have a look at some for the suggested ideas for the sections here :smile:

So, basically I do a 6 months of volunteering, 6 months of physical and 3 months skill?
And because I didn't do bronze I have to do an extra 6 months?
I honestly don't think I can fit it into volunteering or physical? I have my exams starting May and I'm doing the actual practical part of the award in July :confused:.
(edited 9 years ago)
So, basically I do at least 6 months volunteering, 6 months of physical and 3 months skill?
For the extra 6 months, I honestly don't think I can fit into volunteering or physical? I have my exams starting May and I'm doing the actual practical part of the award in July :confused:.
Also, what is an expedition and do we have to do it? If so, then for how long?

You can do your 6 months in either physical or skill. So, if you did 6 months physical, you would do 3 months skill. If you chose to do 6 months of skill, you would do 3 months of physical :smile:
How about doing your extra 6 months in Skill then?
I think what you mean by practical is the expedition section. It's the 3 day, 2 night expedition. You can ask your teacher for what they have planned for your expedition, you may get to choose what you'd like to do :dontknow: At mine the teacher chooses :yep:

In my Bronze expedition, I did a camping, part of the expedition was to learn skills like cooking, putting up a tent etc. In the day, we did walking (DofE gives the minimum distance you're required to walk) and I walked through public footpaths, roads, forests, fields.. which all requires planning and training (teacher will sort this out) we had to make a plan of where we would be going, what time we'd reach there, map reading, learning the countryside code, what to do in an emergency etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
You can do your 6 months in either physical or skill. So, if you did 6 months physical, you would do 3 months skill. If you chose to do 6 months of skill, you would do 3 months of physical :smile:
How about doing your extra 6 months in Skill then?
I think what you mean by practical is the expedition section. It's the 3 day, 2 night expedition. You can ask your teacher for what they have planned for your expedition, you may get to choose what you'd like to do :dontknow: At mine the teacher chooses :yep:

In my Bronze expedition, I did a camping, part of the expedition was to learn skills like cooking, putting up a tent etc. In the day, we did walking (DofE gives the minimum distance you're required to walk) and I walked through public footpaths, roads, forests, fields.. which all requires planning and training (teacher will sort this out) we had to make a plan of where we would be going, what time we'd reach there, map reading, learning the countryside code, what to do in an emergency etc.

Oh, I see.

So then it'd 9 months of skill. I really dont miind that, but it states on the website that the extra 6 months has to be in either volunteering or the activity in which you've spent the most time on. In my case, I'd be spending more time on volunteering and physical, so would it not be that I would have to do 12 months in volunteering or the physical activity?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Hiya, I've just finished doing my bronze dofe. Some good physical activities are sports clubs/teams that you are part of or could join (after school clubs or outside of school), the gym, or any other activity with a leader. I went to badminton with my friends after school. Examples of good places to volunteer are charity shops, the library, rainbows, brownies, guides/beavers, cubs, scouts, rescue centres, conservation groups. Look at the suggestions on the website I volunteered at my local cat and rabbit rescue centre. Hope it goes well :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya, I've just finished doing my bronze dofe. Some good physical activities are sports clubs/teams that you are part of or could join (after school clubs or outside of school), the gym, or any other activity with a leader. I went to badminton with my friends after school. Examples of good places to volunteer are charity shops, the library, rainbows, brownies, guides/beavers, cubs, scouts, rescue centres, conservation groups. Look at the suggestions on the website I volunteered at my local cat and rabbit rescue centre. Hope it goes well :smile:

Thank you for the suggestions!
What would you recommend I do for skill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I see.

So then it'd 9 months of skill. I really dont miind that, but it states on the website that the extra 6 months has to be in either volunteering or the activity in which you've spent the most time on. In my case, I'd be spending more time on volunteering and physical, so would it not be that I would have to do 12 months in volunteering or the physical activity?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

You don't have to but you could do. I'm sure that you could do 9 months of skill if you wanted. :smile:
You don't have to but you could do. I'm sure that you could do 9 months of skill if you wanted. :smile:

Thank you loads, you've been very helpful :biggrin:
Good luck and brace yourself :biggrin:, apparently its much harder than the other two esp bc you're only just starting gold w/o doing the bronze + silver
bc you've started gold w/o doing the others, will you not need to carry on the 18 months of volunteering and physical activity even after you've completed the award?
Thank you loads, you've been very helpful :biggrin:

No problem, I know how confusing it can be :smile:
Yeah, I asked bc I wasn't sure, but now I know mine will have to run over too. Idm, I'm just having trouble finding a place to volunteer :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm going to drop in at my local library tomorrow to ask :biggrin:
haha, we too have an LRC, I'd ask but the librarian is just such a.. nice person, I'd prefer not.
I also called up a vet nearby my school today, but they said they didn't have any places. :argh:
yeah, i guess i will :-)
Reply 17
For my volunteering I mentored someone maths at their house can their mum be the assessor

Quick Reply

Latest