The Student Room Group

Will studying a BTEC limit my chances of Speech and Language Therapy

I am currently studying English Language, Psychology, English Literature and Fine Art in AS, and a Spanish NVQ Level 1. I have decided to change and swap Literature for Health and Social Care BTEC Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to one A level. An A Level H&S is not offered my college [s]thumbdown[/s), as I would like to be a Speech Therapist.
I plan to continue with Language, Psychology and H&S next year. Speech Therapy is a competitive course, would my chances be lowered because of the BTEC?

Could you also suggest what I could do to improve and/or increase my changes? (Volunteering, work experience, skills, knowledge, ect?) Thank you :smile:
[QUOTE="fabfabfab;50587795"]I am currently studying English Language, Psychology, English Literature and Fine Art in AS, and a Spanish NVQ Level 1. I have decided to change and swap Literature for Health and Social Care BTEC Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to one A level. An A Level H&S is not offered my college :thumbdown:

Hey,

If you are keen on becoming a Speech and Language Therapist make sure you meet the entry requirements for the course before you make any changes. Just go onto the individual universities websites and you should find the information you need there.

Personally, I don't think doing the BTEC would make be of any disadvantage unless your combination of BTECs and A levels does not meet the course's requirements.

In response to your last question, there are many things you could do. Namely, you should aim to get experience shadowing a Speech and language therapist. However, these are hard to come by (my friend said she was very lucky to get one). If you can't get this, getting placements and volunteering to help young children and/or the elderly will give you skills and something to talk about on your personal statement. Reading a book about speech and language therapy and picking an aspect that appeals to you might also be nice to put on your personal statement.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest