The Student Room Group

Can i do computer science with a D in English lit?

Hi, i got pretty bad GCSE grades... 2 Bs 3 Cs 1 D and E. I got a D in english lit because of my coursework which i got a E from. I got 2 Bs in the written exams and because of my controlled assessment which my teacher didn't even let me retake when every other ****ing person in my year had a chance too made me get a D overall... I know i shouldn't blame teachers but I had to move to a teacher that i hate and always have bad results in her class to do my controlled assessment and i failed miserably because i had no clue what to do and she never once helped me when i asked her questions beforehand.

I am now doing a BTEC level 3 in IT and maybe it's me just being paranoid, but i'm wondering if i get good grades in my BTEC e.g. DDD+ can i get a chance to do computer science at uni (preferably KCL) or will they reject me because of my english grade? I got a C in english lang which i sat in year 10 and a B in GCSE maths. Thank you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:
Original post by tshombe123
:bump:

They will more than likely accept you considering you have English Language (You should ask the admissions tutor)

It should be worth noting that their CS course has very specific requirements in regards to the BTEC. See below
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF from 2010)BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Information Technology with grades of DDD. Distinction is required in the modules:

'Information Systems'

and 'Computer Systems' (core units)

plus an additional two from:

Database Design;

Systems Analysis & Design;

Mathematics for IT Practitioners; Software Design & Development

or Event Driven Programming.

Additionally, GCSE (or equivalent) grade B in Mathematics.
Combinations of the BTEC Level 3 Diploma (with Distinction) and other qualifications (such as two A-levels) considered if containing the required subjects.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Binary Freak
They will more than likely accept you considering you have English Language (You should ask the admissions tutor)

It should be worth noting that their CS course has very specific requirements in regards to the BTEC. See below

Thank you :smile: I'm doing the compulsory units now and i find it pretty interesting and hopefully i can get a distinction in both :colondollar:
Thank you :smile: I'm doing the compulsory units now and i find it pretty interesting and hopefully i can get a distinction in both :colondollar:

Ehh, those units aren't particularly hard to get Distinction, so you should be completely fine :smile:
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

If i need help with any particular topics do you mind helping me? :P btw what did you get overall?
Posted from TSR Mobile

If i need help with any particular topics do you mind helping me? :P btw what did you get overall?

Sure, I won't mind helping, however I'll only be useful in a few of the units (10, 32, 5, 9). I achieved MM overall (It's all I aimed for), since I got some additional qualifications alongside my course.

What units are you doing anyway?
Reply 7
Sure, I won't mind helping, however I'll only be useful in a few of the units (10, 32, 5, 9). I achieved MM overall (It's all I aimed for), since I got some additional qualifications alongside my course.

What units are you doing anyway?

Im not really sure as i changed to the btec 1 week after school started. But i did a animations unit at a communication one last week. As for right now im doing the 2 compulsory units. Do you know how long it takes? Ive been doing the computer systems unit for over a week now i thought id be set the assignment by now?
Im not really sure as i changed to the btec 1 week after school started. But i did a animations unit at a communication one last week. As for right now im doing the 2 compulsory units. Do you know how long it takes? Ive been doing the computer systems unit for over a week now i thought id be set the assignment by now?

Since you're on Extended, I'd presume you'll get your assignment within the next 2 weeks. It was probably unit 1 that you did last week.
Reply 10
Since you're on Extended, I'd presume you'll get your assignment within the next 2 weeks. It was probably unit 1 that you did last week.

Ah, thanks. As i came late i missed out on a lot of information and only had a few lessons before the assignment got set for unit 1. I believe it was capped a merit, i don't even know if i got that :/. If i get a pass would i be unable to achieve DDD or do i need all distinctions and merits?
Ah, thanks. As i came late i missed out on a lot of information and only had a few lessons before the assignment got set for unit 1. I believe it was capped a merit, i don't even know if i got that :/. If i get a pass would i be unable to achieve DDD or do i need all distinctions and merits?

It'll be find if you get Merit, or Distinction. To achieve DDD you need 6 units at Distinction, and 12 at Merit.
Reply 12
It'll be find if you get Merit, or Distinction. To achieve DDD you need 6 units at Distinction, and 12 at Merit.

Fml... I can't even redo it because they changed it this year :mad:. All i can do is pray i got it lol
Fml... I can't even redo it because they changed it this year :mad:. All i can do is pray i got it lol

Lol, don't worry about it, if you don't get the Merit, then you'll just need to achieve 7 Distinctions, 10 Merits, 1 Pass. Your overall grade will be calculated by the points you accumulate. :smile:
Reply 14
Lol, don't worry about it, if you don't get the Merit, then you'll just need to achieve 7 Distinctions, 10 Merits, 1 Pass. Your overall grade will be calculated by the points you accumulate. :smile:

Ah ok, thanks. So if i achieve those I'll be able to get DDD overall? I'm not really trying to aim for that, i hopefully want at least 2 D* and D and i will be able to go to all my 5 unis :smile:.
Ah ok, thanks. So if i achieve those I'll be able to get DDD overall? I'm not really trying to aim for that, i hopefully want at least 2 D* and D and i will be able to go to all my 5 unis :smile:.

In that case, you'd need 13 Distinctions, 4 Merits, and a Pass :gthumb:
Reply 16

Are you serious? Why not? :frown:
Reply 17

You're allowed a resubmission. It's capped at 2 submissions from this year on.
Reply 18
Original post by cnova
You're allowed a resubmission. It's capped at 2 submissions from this year on.

For the entire 2 years you can only resubmit twice? :s-smilie:
Reply 19
For the entire 2 years you can only resubmit twice? :s-smilie:

No, for each assignment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending