The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A105 Oct Intake

Hey hey!

Is anyone else out there starting A105 - Voices, Texts & Material Culture next week?

Just finished AA100 - That EMA was a 'mare! But really excited to get on with the next module & learn some new stuff :smile:

- Sarah x

Scroll to see replies

Hi Sarah,
I am going to start A105 in October 2015 and am just finishing AA100. I have so much spare time over the summer that I could be reading through the books etc. Would you, or any of your friends who did this course last year, have the module stuff that I could buy off you?
Sue
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I studied this module last year - the last time that it was offered as two separate 30 credit modules (A150 voices & texts, A151 material culture) so I'm afraid my module stuff will be neither use nor ornament to you. Really enjoyed both subjects, in fact voices and texts tempted me to consider moving from my history degree choice into something more lit. or creative writing based, which I guess is precisely what the level 1 modules are designed to do for those who have embarked on a proposed fixed path of study towards a specific degree: challenge your course decision and provoke reassessment. Ended up sitting tight on my original pathway but it was a close run thing.

The one thing on (both) module(s) was the culture shock of an end-of-course exam for the first time in about 25 years! I found voices and texts really easy to understand - it harked back both to my favourite subjects at school and to reading that I've done for pleasure since - and so the revision (and therefore the exam) was fairly breezy. But material culture was, although enjoyable, something that I continually had to work harder at understanding. This meant that when external factors affected my ability to do the amount of revision that I would have wished, I didn't have the same kind of ballast to fall back on in the exam and so I only scraped through. So I'd suggest engage fully with the module and start thinking about revision while you're on each unit (how will I need to address this knowledge / topic come exam time? etc.) rather than doing what I did, which was to relax through the course and then panic 2 weeks before the exam!

I'm sure that you'll both really enjoy the module - good luck!

Andy
Hi Andy,
I did reply earlier so sorry if you get 2 replies from me!!! Not really au fait with this software!

I just wanted to say many thanks for the information and well done for passing the exam.

I am doing English Literature and Creative Writing - I did AA100 this year and have just finished the EMA - all went smoothly! However, I have realised that I should have done the two Stage 1 courses together this year - I just wasn't sure what I was letting myself in for, so I only enrolled for one. Nett nett is that I have enrolled for two for this coming September - Voices and one from Stage 2. I just seems such a shame that I now have 4 months with nothing to do - when I could have at least got one or two essays out of the way! I have asked the OU and they say that nothing will be published until September. So if the new Voices 60 credit course is just finishing - perhaps I need to find someone who has done it this year (after the exam results are out). I absolutely don't want to see their work - just the books, DVD's etc.

Thanks again Andy and good luck with the History!
Sue
I know this forum is old but you never know, some people might come upon it in a search or something. I am on this module now and I deeply, deeply despise it. I don't know what the the OU is trying to do with this module but I am getting sick of being messed around like this.

Group task where the group task isn't graded. Fine.
Group task where it is. Testing my patience.
Group discussion in the forums over a 2 week period where your forum posts form part of the grading. F****** B*******.

Considering how much the OU goes on and on about the importance of time management, it's amazing how this course just absolutley removes you from any decision making position about it. Work at the weekends? Too bad, some of your team members won't so they will get the lions share of the work and so find it easier (it gives them more to write about in later stages.)

There is little to none interaction face to face with the tutor which prevents them from doing what they are brilliant at i.e. bringing the course material to life. Which believe me, the material on this course could seriously do with.

Hate this course. Pointless, wheel spinning, and poorly planned.
A105 is my next module as 'recommended' by the OU so your very negative post about this module has alarmed me. I'm also concerned that on the OU website there are no student reviews of the module. Could I please ask a few questions about your experience?

* One of your main criticisms is the group tasks. I don't much like the thought of having to do group tasks. Do these form a major part of the module? I was hoping to do relatively little work on these and make it up on the exam and the solo work.

* You also don't like the absence of face time with a tutor. May I ask, do you live near a major city where one would expect the OU to arrange actual classes, or in the type of area where distance learning would be more the norm? Also did you start in Oct or Feb?

* Setting aside the unsatisfactory course delivery and assessment, how did you feel about this module's actual academic content and course materials?

Original post by Lastcelt1989
I know this forum is old but you never know, some people might come upon it in a search or something. I am on this module now and I deeply, deeply despise it. I don't know what the the OU is trying to do with this module but I am getting sick of being messed around like this.

Group task where the group task isn't graded. Fine.
Group task where it is. Testing my patience.
Group discussion in the forums over a 2 week period where your forum posts form part of the grading. F****** B*******.

Considering how much the OU goes on and on about the importance of time management, it's amazing how this course just absolutley removes you from any decision making position about it. Work at the weekends? Too bad, some of your team members won't so they will get the lions share of the work and so find it easier (it gives them more to write about in later stages.)

There is little to none interaction face to face with the tutor which prevents them from doing what they are brilliant at i.e. bringing the course material to life. Which believe me, the material on this course could seriously do with.

Hate this course. Pointless, wheel spinning, and poorly planned.
Original post by helicopter_parent
A105 is my next module as 'recommended' by the OU so your very negative post about this module has alarmed me. I'm also concerned that on the OU website there are no student reviews of the module. Could I please ask a few questions about your experience?

* One of your main criticisms is the group tasks. I don't much like the thought of having to do group tasks. Do these form a major part of the module? I was hoping to do relatively little work on these and make it up on the exam and the solo work.

* You also don't like the absence of face time with a tutor. May I ask, do you live near a major city where one would expect the OU to arrange actual classes, or in the type of area where distance learning would be more the norm? Also did you start in Oct or Feb?

* Setting aside the unsatisfactory course delivery and assessment, how did you feel about this module's actual academic content and course materials?

Hi I’ve just re-read my post and what I would say is I do regret the amount of Vitriol in it as I wouldn’t like to read something like that if I was about to do the course. So for that I apologise.

However I do feel that the course is very flawed so I’ll answer your questions and then give a little advice at the end.· There probably aren’t any review of the course as it is quite new, I think the one I’m on Last February intake is only the second one that’s been run.

I found the group tasks to be a real nightmare but they don’t come up too often. There’s two, one of which is essentially a practice and the other is a graded group assignment. The second one is the one that really got me because the OU goes on and on about time keeping and organisation and it just feels like the group tasks chuck all that out the window. You either keep up with the keener members of your team (some of whom may not be working at the moment) or your contribution will be minimal. The group aspect only makes up less than 50% of the grade so it’s not the end of the world but it’s the sort of thing where you look at it and you just think why? What am I gaining by doing things this way? Despite what the OU might say,if I was collaborating with other people on a paper in the future I would make damn sure we had a better way of doing things than an online forum. Honestly it felt like some kind of experiment where they were trialling different approaches to study under the guise of creating ‘an authentic university experience’ which, to be honest, isn’t what I signed up for. I would argue that if that is what you are after than going through the OU for that is misguided.
Now, there is another one which is more manageable but really wound me up. Basically, the tutor puts three statements on the forum and you have to make three forum posts over two weeks discussing them and then the content of these posts makes up a percentage (can’t remember how much) of your grade. You decide when to make them so it’s more manageable in that regard, but again I have to ask why? Grading me on forum posts? Is this a university course with a degree at the end of it or am I doing evening classes at the local community centre? Stop messing me around with this experimental rigmarole. A105 is a new course and this sort of thing really made it feel like it. AA10 was very structured. Read chapter go to tutorial do essay get feed back repeat. A105 just bounces from pillar to post every time. Again, for as much as the OU touts the importance of being organised and planning your studies, they make it more difficult than it needs to be by having virtually no continuous structure running through the course.·

As far as face time with the tutor goes, it really is minimal. I think there was 3 maybe 4 tutorials and 2 day schools throughout the whole thing. This means there is more than 1 assignments where it’s just you, the book and the online forum which, frankly, doesn't cut it. As with AA100, the course content is quite broad and so you’re likely to have aspects to it that either don’t interest you or you find difficult to understand. It’s here that interaction with a tutor is invaluable as they are(in my experience) absolutely brilliant and making it relatable and bringing it alive. From speaking with tutors at the day schools, I’m led to believe this is a cost saving measure more than anything else which I understand but it does not change the fact that the course feels like it’s missing something when compared to AA100. Location doesn't factor into it as I live in London so I can’t imagine anywhere else having more tutorials.

For the actual course content, I think this depends on what you are going onto do. The course starts off with an historical/archaeological approach but then quite abruptly veers off into Sociology which I absolutely hate. With a passion. That’s personal opinion though, so you may find it more enjoyable.

One thing that I did find very frustrating is that,just like AA100, you are encouraged to stick to the module materials and not use outside sources. But then a lot of the questions are ‘Discuss/Debate this’or ‘How far do you agree with…’ which to me implies you should be looking at different arguments and viewpoints. But you can’t. Because you have to stick to the module materials so in essence all you end up doing is regurgitating what is in the book back into your essay. How are you presenting an argument or debate when your only allowed to present one viewpoint? That’s one aspect that really annoyed me, especially as I found the assertions and opinions being put across to be very questionable. Tourism filled the gap left by religion? Like,really?

One last thing, I’d like to elaborate on what I meant by ‘spinning your wheels.’ On this course, if it’s worth making a point then it’s worth making it 100 times. By the end of AA100 (really by the end of GCSE history), I understood the importance of evaluating a source. Who wrote it, why did they write it, how close to the event they are describing were they etc. Very important stuff naturally. But my god. Does A105 go over this time and time again. There is an entire book devoted to explaining how context is very important. Well, duh. I mean what was I really supposed to learn here? If your quoting out of context then you will get picked up for it on any essay you’ve done before.

As I said, I apologise for the amount of vitriol in my original post. I did not mean to worry you about the course you are about to goon. The above is all my personal opinion and you may find it much more enjoyable, which is the impression I get from some other people doing it so it is all subjective. Any other questions don’t hesitate to ask, I’d be happy to explain anything I’ve said further.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I copy pasted this from word and this website seems to really dislike it, if the formatting seems off I apologised. Done the best I can but there might still be a few errors.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks so much for replying to my queries so quickly and comprehensively, truly appreciated!

Given your further remarks, A105 just doesn't sound like a module that I could bear to do. I'm on BA(History), but as you probably know there is no Level 1 History module as such - only the two multi-disciplinary Humanities modules AA100 and A105.

Incidentally in my view AA100 too has real drawbacks as a uni module: for example the point you mentioned about being encouraged to use only materials from the course book. Actually for AA100 I read widely around the subject: and typically in each of the more substantial assignments (including the EMA) I cited around 20 other books or journal articles. This was a risky tactic in order to do justice to the assignments and differentiate myself from other students, and thankfully it was well rewarded in the marking by my sympathetic tutor.

Back to A105, it puts me off where you mention the course veers off into Sociology, as (like you) I hate this with a passion!

Concerning live tutorials, it would be all very well for the OU to cut back on these as a cost saving measure, were it not for the fact that the course fees charged to students continue to increase each year by more than the rate of inflation!

One more question please. The OU course description says that work expected of students in A105 will include an element of "creative writing". Are you able to confirm that: were you required to produce any creative writing in an assignment, or have I misunderstood (or was this optional)? If there is one thing I wish to do less than study Sociology, it's to produce my own "creative writing"!

FYI, I'm asking the OU if I could skip A105, and do instead an extra Level 2 History module (having it counted as Level 1 for BA credits). Then I could actually do a proper History degree, and not waste my time and money on a pointless exercise. My AA100 tutor told me she thinks they have sometimes permitted that in the past.

Thanks again for your very candid personal feedback. I do appreciate that it's all subjective, probably many other students enjoyed this module, and I won't attach undue weight to what you've kindly written in making my final decision.
**Thanks so much for replying to my queries so quickly and comprehensively, truly appreciated!**

No problem at all!

**Given your further remarks, A105 just doesn't sound like a module that I could bear to do. I'm on BA(History), but as you probably know there is no Level 1 History module as such - only the two multi-disciplinary Humanities modules AA100 and A105. Incidentally in my view AA100 too has real drawbacks as a uni module: for example the point you mentioned about being encouraged to use only materials from the course book. Actually for AA100 I read widely around the subject: and typically in each of the more substantial assignments (including the EMA) I cited around 20 other books or journal articles. This was a risky tactic in order to do justice to the assignments and differentiate myself from other students, and thankfully it was well rewarded in the marking by my sympathetic tutor.**

Yeah it sounds like your in a similar position to the one I was before I started A105. I signed up for a history course and then found myself spending my weekends looking at virtually everything but history. To be honest, what started as a simple reply to your questions then sort evolved into what i would have liked to have been told before I started A105. As you saw, there is very little out there about A105 apart from the OU's official description.

Also, it might just be me being a cynical sod but I find whenever I speak to other people doing an OU course, everything is brilliant. Like, everything about it. I've seen forum discussions where someone asked, 'How did you find AA100?' (For example). Which has then been followed by a hundred replies of, 'Oh it was fantastic', 'I really enjoyed learning so much about so many different topics,' or my personal favorite 'why can't all the modules be like this?'. Now, that's all fine but I refuse to believe that nobody had any constructive criticism or feedback. So really I just wanted to give you the flip side of the coin. If someone wants to hear that everything the OU does is amazing, just go on their website and you'll find no end of people saying that. What I wrote is really what I would have like to have been told before I started. Definite kudos to you for taking the risk and using outside sources as it just feels so intellectually dishonest to use one authors opinion for an academic essay.

**Back to A105, it puts me off where you mention the course veers off into Sociology, as (like you) I hate this with a passion!**

Yeah it was a nasty shock. In the Sociology chapters, the books start talking about how 'people' do this and 'people' that and I just think; what people? If I grab the first 5 people that walk past me in the street and put them all in the same situation, I guarantee that each person will respond differently. Its the way Sociology talks about people as some huge hive mind and takes away any sense of individuality. For example, you and I both hate the subject. Sociology would therefore talk of a 'trend of history enthusiasts not liking Sociology.' When I could be sat next to another history student who absolutely can't get enough of it. People are all different and I hate anything that ignores or, at worse, tries to subvert that. Sorry, turned into a bit of a rant there.

**Concerning live tutorials, it would be all very well for the OU to cut back on these as a cost saving measure, were it not for the fact that the course fees charged to students continue to increase each year by more than the rate of inflation!**

From what the same tutor told me, the OU has never actually turned a profit in all the years it's been running. They have always relied on Government subsidies. However, these have recently been scaled back and so the OU is looking to cut costs on newer courses like A105.

Again, this is second/third hand information so take it with a pinch of salt. But if it is true then yeah, with the amount of money these courses cost you kind of look at the 'online forum tutorial' and think 'this is it'? If they want to save money then how about just telling people what books to buy and abandoning the OU produced books. You already have to get set books anyway and there is always deals to be had on Amazon. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's better than the model they have at the moment. I mean I wouldn't want to see anyone denied the opportunity to study because they couldn't afford the books but you already have to have access to a computer and I'm sure something could be arranged with local libraries.

**One more question please.**

Honestly, anything you want to ask feel free!

**The OU course description says that work expected of students in A105 will include an element of "creative writing". Are you able to confirm that: were you required to produce any creative writing in an assignment, or have I misunderstood (or was this optional)?**

It was never mandatory and was always one of a few options. But it does come up and again I think me and you are quite similar here. I was looking through the 3 options on an assignment once and as soon as I saw 'creative writing' from one of them I thought to myself 'right.....so I've got two options here' lol. The assignments change every course but the only time you may have to do it is if your group decides to take the approach during the group assignment.

**If there is one thing I wish to do less than study Sociology, it's to produce my own "creative writing"!**

Oh boy is that ever a tough one. I am honestly sat here now trying to decide which I would rather do. Sociology or creative writing. Would I rather be shot in the left foot or right foot? I guess creative writing since you can more or less BS your way through it and declare any inaccuracies ''creativity!.'' But my god would that be a miserable weekend essay lol.

**FYI, I'm asking the OU if I could skip A105, and do instead an extra Level 2 History module (having it counted as Level 1 for BA credits). Then I could actually do a proper History degree, and not waste my time and money on a pointless exercise. My AA100 tutor told me she thinks they have sometimes permitted that in the past.**

I would recommend that. If I had known that was an option I would have strongly pursued it. I was going to argue that it's not an entirely ''pointless exercise'' but I stopped because, really, I couldn't. I don't feel I've learned anything. For the past 2...maybe 3 assignments we've been going over how important it is to evaluate sources. If you need three assignments and an entire book to explain that to you than history isn't for you.

However it's not unbearable. It's not difficult and you only need to pass it, not get a high score as it has no effect on your overall degree. If they do say that you have to do it then it's not the end of the world as there are a few interesting aspects to it. The highlight for me was probably the chapter on Pompeii. Unfortunately that was one of the first ones and so the course peaked a little early for me lol. It's quite easy as well so you can just grit your teeth and bear it in order to get to the stuff you want to do afterwards. For example, without wishing to blow my own trumpet, the last few (mainly Sociological) assignments, I will admit that I have done on autopilot and I'm still on course to pass quite easily.

**Thanks again for your very candid personal feedback. I do appreciate that it's all subjective, probably many other students enjoyed this module, and I won't attach undue weight to what you've kindly written in making my final decision.**

No problem at all. Like I said, it's very easy to find people who declare everything the OU puts out as amazing so I am more than happy to provide an alternative opinion.
Really great support, can't thank you enough. I think that's sufficient for now, and I certainly won't be going for A105 starting in Oct. But I might take the liberty of reaching out to you again (probably on this thread) in a few months once the mid-year enrolment cycle comes round, by which time you will have finished this module including the exam.
i start A105 in october. i found this thread and im now a tadd worried! im doing the history degree. i have no interest in creative writing and sociology side of things. i understand AA100 had a mix of the arts and i just gathered A105 is the same. however, im not expecting it too come off history alot?? i hope it doesnt! the poetry and art chapters of AA100 annoyed me enough as it is. ahhh gone from excited to nervous!!
AA100 and A105 definitely are very similar. There have been art sections for example alongside some history stuff. It's just a lot of it feels so redundant. One new topic that it does that isn't really in AA100 is anthropology, which I found very patronising. Now, you may find this very interesting so as I said, please remember that is all the opinion of one individual.I've been trying to think of a way to sum up why a lot of the course content in A105 just feels off. It's very 'new age.'

By that I mean it asks a lot of questions that sound all very intelligent at the outset but just outright collapse when you think about them for more than 5 minutes. I won't give any questions direct from an assignment as that might lead to problems. But some similar examples could be: 'Is Football a modern day philosophy' or 'What does it mean to read a book?'Y'know, very intellectual styled questions that I'm sure if you really wanted too you could discuss until the cows come home but really, they're just fluff. No, football is a sport that is popular in the UK, Europe and South America. To read a book means to absorb the information inside it through the medium of reading.

Now, if answering and discussing questions like these sound interesting than you will love A105. As someone who wants to pursue History (Classical Studies), there was very little hard, factual discussion in this course. For example: well this source , this source and this source all say this so it's likely that in this period, opinions like these were common in this society at this time.
Really, I think you're best bet is to wait until your Study Books turn up, have a flick through them and then make your own decision from there. In the meantime, any questions you want answered I'm more than happy to just ramble on, as you can probably tell lol.
Reply 12
Creative Writing ? I am doing A105, not with you lot ! but using a 2nd hand course from ebay (time comitment ) I am history obsessed and writing 2nd ebook - easy with Amazon. DO NOT give up on creative writing it will make your history live. I have sailed with norse vikings, been with George Fox quaker, seen my 16th C ancestor in battle. I do NOT write historical fiction. A few tricks of the trade, setting the scene, the scents, sounds, interweaving hard facts, academic argument. You will trancend time, absorb the reader
Original post by VIKING !
Creative Writing ? I am doing A105, not with you lot ! but using a 2nd hand course from ebay (time comitment ) I am history obsessed and writing 2nd ebook - easy with Amazon. DO NOT give up on creative writing it will make your history live. I have sailed with norse vikings, been with George Fox quaker, seen my 16th C ancestor in battle. I do NOT write historical fiction. A few tricks of the trade, setting the scene, the scents, sounds, interweaving hard facts, academic argument. You will trancend time, absorb the reader

Ok well I'm glad you enjoy creative writing and if it works for you then hey, power to you. My point was that creative writing is not what I signed up for and so feel a little stitched up to be honest.

Also, I'm sorry but creative writing IS fiction. Historical or not, it is still fiction.

''You might have heard it called different things. Traditionally referred to as literature, creative writing is an art of sorts - the art of making things up. It's writing done in a way that is not academic or technical but still attracts an audience.'' - http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-creative-writing-definition-types-examples.html

Like I said, if you enjoy it then cool, but let's not pretend that it's something it's not and it most certainly is not academic history.
Reply 14
I Understand, yes creative writing may not be fact, but it may not be fiction either, perhaps i did not make the point clear, writing needs to engage the reader, creative writing often does this better than turgid academical writing. I did say using 'tricks of the trade' meaning suspense, suprise, word pictures etc. All writing on history is' creative' to an extent -a view, an intepretation, even those present when history is being made may have different acounts. There is an 'academic' style yes, but sprinkle a little stardust on it from time to time and it stands out.

spoke too soon, by the way, lastcelt, got outbid on ebay, so in a year's time, if your selling your books ?...
I Understand, yes creative writing may not be fact, but it may not be fiction either, perhaps i did not make the point clear, writing needs to engage the reader, creative writing often does this better than turgid academical writing. I did say using 'tricks of the trade' meaning suspense, suprise, word pictures etc. All writing on history is' creative' to an extent -a view, an intepretation, even those present when history is being made may have different acounts. There is an 'academic' style yes, but sprinkle a little stardust on it from time to time and it stands out.

spoke too soon, by the way, lastcelt, got outbid on ebay, so in a year's time, if your selling your books ?...

Fair enough, don't completely agree but I can see where your coming from :-)

I have my A105 exam next week and after that the books are yours if you want them. I'll not ask for any money as they have been marked and written over so if your still looking come next weekend (not the one coming but the one after) let me know and I'll send them to you.
Reply 16
Original post by Lastcelt1989
Fair enough, don't completely agree but I can see where your coming from :-)

I have my A105 exam next week and after that the books are yours if you want them. I'll not ask for any money as they have been marked and written over so if your still looking come next weekend (not the one coming but the one after) let me know and I'll send them to you.

-many thanks, very much appreciated, would love the books, marked or not. I live in North Wales, so if you could possibly post them would be only too pleased to pay for postage with something on top to cover your trouble. Best of luck with the exam. Will be in touch weekend after this one. Once again, many thanks.
Reply 17
-many thanks, very much appreciated, would love the books, marked or not. I live in North Wales, so if you could possibly post them would be only too pleased to pay for postage with something on top to cover your trouble. Best of luck with the exam. Will be in touch weekend after this one. Once again, many thanks.

Hello - hope you got on ok with your exams. Yes, would still like the books if available. Just let me know the postage. Many thanks indeed.
Felt the same. The only direct questions between AA105 and AA100 were AA100 assignment 3 part 2's questions on Socrates and Protagoras where you could explain away why Socrates logical equivalence presented as rhetoric made Protagoras contradict his own defeasible premise. Other assignments were instructions to 'Outline how the price of butter relates to the theme of authority'. Where one felt fettered to the textbook while surrounded by eggshells of the plagiarism guidelines. My AA100 tutor was good with outside references and fresh original arguments I didn't read in the textbook. My AA105 tutors feedback was that I had to back up these original arguments with validation from some source on high above him/her (careful), who could bestow their authority on my summations of evidence. I think the tutor plays a part. I rushed all my essays, so punctuation and grammar were poor in retrospect. The AA100 tutor overlooked a couple of grammatical errors I noticed in feedback, but not always, and was more focused on content with praise and areas to develop, rather than format and style.(And good marks will sweeten any of us up) However my AA105 tutor was Lindley Murray School of Grammar vigilant. Often I would structure my essays perfectly, re-reading my conjunctions, paragraph lengths, and sentence lengths for convoluted sytax, and patched the maligned original arguments and outside references. And after all the tailoring to the criteria set, and reaction to criticism, all the efforts to please, all it resulted in was less for him/her to nitpick and the same average mark. No praise whatsoever, just an intellectual bully waiting for me to trip up and kick me on the way down. I carry on into second year hoping this foolhardy experience will stand me in good stead. It looks like some lecturers will read your essay, and others will deign to mark essays which are written with a pen far less brilliant than theirs.
Reply 19
I just finished A105 and am currently waiting for my exam result. All things considered, I hated A105.

I'm a little tipsy turvy in that I did 120 level 2 credits first (a few years ago when that was still allowed) them came back to do AA100 and A105 to get a complete qualification rather than just a few random credits. Initially I was on the path towards a History degree also, however I enjoyed AA100 very much and decided to switch to English and History. My circumstances also dictated that I transferred to a brick uni to complete my degree, so I'm now walking away from the OU with a Diploma in Humanities.

My AA100 tutor was fantastically supportive and I enjoyed the variety that the course offered. I started off being quite annoyed at all the other bits and bobs that you have to do, but after going to a few day schools and talking to different lecturers (I'm aiming to teach in higher education so I'm always prowling around for people to talk to in the field) I learnt that the tide is turning quite a bit in the field of social sciences and Humanities. As I'm sure you know, funding is scarce these days and a lot of it is going to STEM whilst the Arts and Social Sciences are missing out. So in reaction to that, a lot of institutions are now starting to focus on ways to integrate many areas of study into one. That's not to say there are no specialists anymore, far from it, but rather departments are pooling their resources and joining forces. English meets history meets anthropology etc. It's quite interesting to look at it as a whole really.

Another important aspect of the changing academic landscape is this idea of collaboration with other researchers too. At my university now, many of the lecturers have collaborated with each other to produce papers, which is apparently kind of in vogue at academic institutions now. So that's why the OU (and my new uni are doing it too - I have two collaborative assignments this semester) are working this kind of assessment into their learning and teaching environment.

That being said, I really hated A105. It is sadly quite badly written as even the interesting topics such as the early modern book and the Reformation were rendered dull with quite unimaginative chapters. My tutor was such a power-tripping idiot that I ended up switching tutors. It's like I can see what they are trying to do with this course, but they don't get it right. I would imagine they are going through some teething problems with it because it's a new presentation.

It does get better though. I loved level 2 - lots of fun! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending