The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah it does, and towards the end it keeps changing narrator with no indication that it's going to. What else have you read by Carter? How are you supposed to analyse magical realism?
I haven't read that but I have read Wise Children. All of her narrators seem to embellish the reality of situations.
there's a lovely book of essays on carter edited by lorna sage, some of which are quite personal and astute. i disliked the narrator in 'nights at the circus', and the only book i've been able to ignore that dislike is 'wuthering heights', so.
Reply 4
I like Angela Carter's style. I've read "The Bloody Chamber and other Stories" which are really fantastic re-told fairy tales.
Reply 5
i did an essay on nights at the circus today- it was a close analysis piece. i think, amongst other things, i picked out gothic elements, post- modernist sympathies, and also feminist attitudes in the passage. i know fevvers is supposed to be pretty feminist- and you have the contrast between lizzie and fevvers- lizzie being a realist and fevvers nurturing her exotic imagination which is laced with magical and surrealist aspects etc.
hmm, i think if you do a close analysis piece- just 1 page- find something suitable, and you'll pick out lots of themes that you can then trace in other parts of the novel.