The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation: A guide to what you need to know

Here’s an up to date accommodation thread for 2015 applicants
Again a big thanks to Potally_Tissed I liked this one too! :biggrin:

The most common FAQs about accommodation are answered in the drop downs below, so have a look if you’ve got any questions.

There are a lot of answers on the University Accommodation webpages too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need.

Don’t forget this is just a guide. The most up to date information is on our website, but this will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Firm Offer Holders Applying for Accommodation

Insurance / Clearing Offer Holders Applying for Accommodation

What’s in the rooms

Catered or self-catered – choosing a hall type

Room Options – what they mean

A quick guide to each hall

Extra Fees

Private Accommodation

If any other questions come up regularly, I'll add them to this thread.
Hope this answers the majority of your questions :smile:

Vicky
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As i want en-suite i am stuck between Butler Court, Hazlerigg and Robert Bakekwell.
Which one is better ?, which one is closer to politics?

OR
i could go for a studio flat at Harry French but 'campus experience' ?

So confused,help please?

I want to plan everything now so i can let my father know and be financially prepared.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Hi introvert.H

There's very little in it distance wise to PHIR between all 3 halls to be honest. The furthest one is Robert Bakewell, but its only another minute or so away.
Harry French as you know isn't on campus, but it does create it's own community and on the flip side you're closer to town. It's also closer to the Students' Union building than Rigg-Rutt or Robert Bakewell but about the same as Butler Court.

In all honesty, when it comes to accommodation allocation, you won't necessarily get what you want. It's worth knowing what your top 3 would be, but be prepared that it is possible that you won't get any of them. However, I know of quite a few people who didn't get their top choices and had a brilliant time regardless of the hall they were placed in.

For budgeting purposes, worth looking at this price table here. It'll give you an indication of what costs are so you can decide before the day what's in your price range and what you can and can't go for.

Hope this helps.
Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi introvert.H

There's very little in it distance wise to PHIR between all 3 halls to be honest. The furthest one is Robert Bakewell, but its only another minute or so away.
Harry French as you know isn't on campus, but it does create it's own community and on the flip side you're closer to town. It's also closer to the Students' Union building than Rigg-Rutt or Robert Bakewell but about the same as Butler Court.

In all honesty, when it comes to accommodation allocation, you won't necessarily get what you want. It's worth knowing what your top 3 would be, but be prepared that it is possible that you won't get any of them. However, I know of quite a few people who didn't get their top choices and had a brilliant time regardless of the hall they were placed in.

For budgeting purposes, worth looking at this price table here. It'll give you an indication of what costs are so you can decide before the day what's in your price range and what you can and can't go for.

Hope this helps.
Vicky

Thank you Vicky :smile:
I hope I do get my top three or a studio as they are all within my budget.
Original post by introvert.H
Thank you Vicky :smile:
I hope I do get my top three or a studio as they are all within my budget.

You're welcome! Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully it'll work out :crossedf:
Vicky
Reply 5
Does anyone know if two people can share a double self contained flat?
or if you can choose who you share a twin shared ensuing with?
Original post by Lottielp
Does anyone know if two people can share a double self contained flat?
or if you can choose who you share a twin shared ensuing with?

Hi Lottielp

I've spoken to our Accommodation Office who have told me:

"You can request who you would like to live with in a Twin Shared Flat, but as we do not run a guarantee service, they would be allocated with who the warden sees fit. However we will do our utmost best to meet the student's preferences.

With regards to a self-contained flat, this would depend on which flat and the circumstances, they would need to speak with our office directly for us to confirm this."

Hope this helps.
Vicky
Reply 7
I've received an offer to study accounting this September, however, im not sure which hall I should apply for.
Im stuck between choosing Elvyn Richards, Butler, Hazlerigg Rutland and Robert Bakewell.
Im hoping one of them is close to the business school.
Can anyone share their opinion on each hall and compare?
Original post by oyin_boo
I've received an offer to study accounting this September, however, im not sure which hall I should apply for.
Im stuck between choosing Elvyn Richards, Butler, Hazlerigg Rutland and Robert Bakewell.
Im hoping one of them is close to the business school.
Can anyone share their opinion on each hall and compare?

Hi oyin_boo

All the ones that you've listed apart from Butler Court listed they're all in the same area in the student village. This is near the library which is handy, but not just round the corner from Business School and where you'd have your lectures. However, worth remembering that there is a free bus across campus so if you don't fancy walking (it's not that far really maybe 10 minute walk) there's always a free bus every 10 minutes.
Butler court is the closest out of your choice - other close ones are Towers and Falkner Eggington.

You need to think about if you'd prefer self-catering or catered halls too as you have a mix in there - but end of the day where ever you get, not where is that far away and you'll have a great time.

Have a look here - you can get all the info you need, but if you want to know anything else, just let me know!

Vicky
Reply 9
Hi Vicky,
Thank you I was hoping to go self catered, which hall would be the best amongst the ones I listed earlier?
Original post by oyin_boo
Hi Vicky,
Thank you������ I was hoping to go self catered, which hall would be the best amongst the ones I listed earlier?

Hi oyin_boo

Well the closest on your list would be Butler Court
Rigg-Rutt and Robert Bakewell are both in the student village - so further away but on the flip side nearer the library.

Hope that helps :smile:
Vicky
I was wondering where majority of textile design students choose for there accommodation? I am currently looking at Robert bakewell but I don't know how far that is away from the cope either? If you could help that would be great
Hello!
This may seem like a long shot, but are you aware of how likely it is you will get, say, an en suite bedroom in somewhere like Butler Court if you apply for it? Butler Court seems more affordable, but it also appears to have shared rooms, which is something I definitely couldn't have- when revising I have to be alone. I don't want to apply for something , hoping that I will get an ensuite, self catered flat but end up having to share a room if I then don't get what I have applied for.
There are other options for ensuite without shared rooms but they look so expensive!!
Original post by Emily.97
Hello!
This may seem like a long shot, but are you aware of how likely it is you will get, say, an en suite bedroom in somewhere like Butler Court if you apply for it? Butler Court seems more affordable, but it also appears to have shared rooms, which is something I definitely couldn't have- when revising I have to be alone. I don't want to apply for something , hoping that I will get an ensuite, self catered flat but end up having to share a room if I then don't get what I have applied for.
There are other options for ensuite without shared rooms but they look so expensive!!

Hi Emily.97

Butler Court is the only hall that has shared rooms and out of the 272 rooms, there are 64 twin rooms. All other rooms in every other hall are individual rooms.

Hope that helps.
Vicky
Reply 14
Original post by Charlvick129
I was wondering where majority of textile design students choose for there accommodation? I am currently looking at Robert bakewell but I don't know how far that is away from the cope either? If you could help that would be great

Hey! I'm also trying to find this out too, have you had any luck? :smile:
Hi, I've looked at the university map online and on the brochure I recieved in the mail but I can't figure out which halls are closest to my study building place.
Thing is, I'd prefer a small hall close to the Building Engineering buildings but I've managed to find Hazlerigg Rutland as the closest. Would you recommend any other places?

Thanks and silly question but I've searched online for the forums for the difference between reservation and preference and I thought that, for the small halls, would it be better to reserve the rooms than to prefere it as they're more likely to go quick? And what if you reserved a room and had payed the deposit in the set time (8 days on) but didnt get the grades to go to uni, would the money be refunded or be kept by the university?

Thanks again and apologies for any troubles! :smile:
Original post by EverybodyHertz
Hi, I've looked at the university map online and on the brochure I recieved in the mail but I can't figure out which halls are closest to my study building place.
Thing is, I'd prefer a small hall close to the Building Engineering buildings but I've managed to find Hazlerigg Rutland as the closest. Would you recommend any other places?

Thanks and silly question but I've searched online for the forums for the difference between reservation and preference and I thought that, for the small halls, would it be better to reserve the rooms than to prefere it as they're more likely to go quick? And what if you reserved a room and had payed the deposit in the set time (8 days on) but didnt get the grades to go to uni, would the money be refunded or be kept by the university?

Thanks again and apologies for any troubles! :smile:

Hi EverybodyHertz

As far as closest halls to engineering - it's pretty much anything in the student village, so these include (I've linked them all to their relevant page for more info):

Robert Bakewell
David Collett
Elvyn Richards
Telford
Royce
Faraday
Hazlerigg-Rutland
Rutherford
Cayley

You can register for accommodation from May, but room reservation and preference only come in to it after results day - so you don't pay a deposit (or room bond as it's known) until after you know if you're coming or not.

After results day, you'll be given an allocated day and time slot to apply for your accommodation. All accommodation is split equally between departments, so there is no advantage for those who may get an earlier time slot than you.

You'll be offered a selection of rooms available and you have the option to reserve one. If you don't like what you've been offered, then you can go to preference. You'll specify 3 types of rooms you'd like and then you'll be made an offer depending on what is available.

It's possible that what you are offered doesn't match any of your preferences, but it all depends on who wants what at the time.

Hope this helps a bit - anything else just ask :smile:

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi EverybodyHertz

As far as closest halls to engineering - it's pretty much anything in the student village, so these include (I've linked them all to their relevant page for more info):

Robert Bakewell
David Collett
Elvyn Richards
Telford
Royce
Faraday
Hazlerigg-Rutland
Rutherford
Cayley

You can register for accommodation from May, but room reservation and preference only come in to it after results day - so you don't pay a deposit (or room bond as it's known) until after you know if you're coming or not.

After results day, you'll be given an allocated day and time slot to apply for your accommodation. All accommodation is split equally between departments, so there is no advantage for those who may get an earlier time slot than you.

You'll be offered a selection of rooms available and you have the option to reserve one. If you don't like what you've been offered, then you can go to preference. You'll specify 3 types of rooms you'd like and then you'll be made an offer depending on what is available.

It's possible that what you are offered doesn't match any of your preferences, but it all depends on who wants what at the time.

Hope this helps a bit - anything else just ask :smile:

Vicky

Thanks Vicky!!
So when we get the email about accomodation in May ... All we do is basically fill out a form that yes we're coming to stay! And then after results day you can either reserve or prefer one?
Thanks for the help and the fast reply and sorry I keep getting confused!
Hi, i've just accepted a place for an MSc in Ergonomics/human factors and now looking at postgrad halls and trying to get a better idea which to go for out of the halls available this year (john phillips, harry french, falk egg & forest court).
Id like somewhere that is social but not too crazy and If possible id like to bring my car, has anyone got any advice?
What are the postgrad rooms in harry french like? they seem quite expensive for what they are :s-smilie:

Laura
Original post by EverybodyHertz
Thanks Vicky!!
So when we get the email about accomodation in May ... All we do is basically fill out a form that yes we're coming to stay! And then after results day you can either reserve or prefer one?
Thanks for the help and the fast reply and sorry I keep getting confused!

Hi EverybodyHertz

It is confusing - but you've got it right :smile:
In May you register to get you in the system and after results is when you get to pick.

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending