The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
belle_27
there's been a lot said about Bristol's admissions policy and no-one seems to be able to agree how they pick their candidates.

Well, as a current student (i.e. someone who has been through the application process, heard what the admissions tutors have to say about candidates they like and squared that up with what I said in my personal statement), i think i could take a pretty good guess as to how Bristol pick their candidates.
Reply 21
Seeing as this is my first post I figure it'd be polite to introduce myself first, so hi, I'm Nick.

Anyway, stumbled across this thread, and Durham WAS one of my top 6 on my form BUT I only have 3 A* and am applying for History and English, so is there realistically any point whatsoever or am I just wasting a space? And do Durham take into account extra-curricular stuff like being Head Boy etc?
Reply 22
Circa1892
Seeing as this is my first post I figure it'd be polite to introduce myself first, so hi, I'm Nick.

Anyway, stumbled across this thread, and Durham WAS one of my top 6 on my form BUT I only have 3 A* and am applying for History and English, so is there realistically any point whatsoever or am I just wasting a space? And do Durham take into account extra-curricular stuff like being Head Boy etc?

how much do you want to go to durham? if the answer is A LOT! then do it, you will regret it otherwise.. but i applied last year with 4A*s and was rejected. i ignored the warnings as i had my heart set on durham (it rivaled cambridge). my advice would be that if you have less than 6A*s, even if you have 5A grades at AS and are predicted 5A grades at A2 , its too much of a risk to apply, they place a great deal of emphasis on gcses and even a superb range of extra cirricular activities probably wont help you much.
Reply 23
sylvester
how much do you want to go to durham? if the answer is A LOT! then do it, you will regret it otherwise.. but i applied last year with 4A*s and was rejected. i ignored the warnings as i had my heart set on durham (it rivaled cambridge). my advice would be that if you have less than 6A*s, even if you have 5A grades at AS and are predicted 5A grades at A2 , its too much of a risk to apply, they place a great deal of emphasis on gcses and even a superb range of extra cirricular activities probably wont help you much.

I'm tempted to leave it I think as I'm not 100% set on Durham or anything, I quite like it but I wouldn't set my heart completely on it, and I'll probably go for somewhere like Cardiff or Lancaster as a replacement as there's no point in putting a Uni on there that's pretty much a solid rejection. I'm applying for Oxford aswell which means the other 5 are even more important to be pretty reliable, and from what I've heard from my tutors they don't seem to pay too much attention to GCSE's, indeed someone from my school went there last year having got 2 D's at GCSE level and 'just the one A*'. I think I'll be giving Durham a miss, maybe not such a bad thing as accomodation does seem VERY expensive there to me...
Circa1892
I'm tempted to leave it I think as I'm not 100% set on Durham or anything, I quite like it but I wouldn't set my heart completely on it, and I'll probably go for somewhere like Cardiff or Lancaster as a replacement as there's no point in putting a Uni on there that's pretty much a solid rejection. I'm applying for Oxford aswell which means the other 5 are even more important to be pretty reliable, and from what I've heard from my tutors they don't seem to pay too much attention to GCSE's, indeed someone from my school went there last year having got 2 D's at GCSE level and 'just the one A*'. I think I'll be giving Durham a miss, maybe not such a bad thing as accomodation does seem VERY expensive there to me...

Don't dismiss it, their requirements for a joint honours course like History and English will be lower than either as a sinhle honours. Email the admissions first and see what they say.
Reply 25
Originally posted by thegreatstupendo
Don't dismiss it, their requirements for a joint honours course like History and English will be lower than either as a sinhle honours. Email the admissions first and see what they say.

Actually its likely to be just as popular, entry requirements for History and Politics has risen this year from AAB to AAA. Also both History and English are extremely popular subjects so the competition is likely to be just as tough or tougher than the single honours degrees.
Unlike Oxbridge, Durham does not interview. All they have to go on is grades; the personal statement and reference can always be a bit vague somewhat subjective so most of the time it’ll be the grades they look at. If Durham has a stringent requirement for a certain number of A*s it is rather disappointing, there is certainly no way any Oxbridge college would refuse to give somebody an offer for history merely because they did not have an A* in GCSE Maths…Durham will be losing plenty of able students if this is the case. If Durham want the best of those who have applied they should interview like Oxbridge, anything less is basically a lottery.
Reply 27
I am absolutely gutted to be reading this stuff about durham.:frown:

I have my heart set on going there, definately my number 1 uni, but i only have 5A* 4A's and 1b.

Do you think it is worth me applying, i have 4 A's at AS and as i am reapplying i also have 3 A's at A-level and a Distinction in AEA HIstory.

Does anyone think it would be different if i was to apply for ancient, medieval and modern history instead?

please help!!!
Reply 28
An email from the admissions tutor:

Dear Nicholas

I will try to explain why the A*s at GCSE are important (but not the only important thing - Personal statement and reference are taken into account as well). We receive around 2.500 forms, all predicted 3 As at A level. We only have 136 places to offer. So we must use some kind of parameter to select for these places. As AS levels are not declared by all schools and GCSEs are, that's what we use. Normally the successful applicants have at least 6 A*s including History and the remainder all As.

T. Robson
^^^ 'remainder all As'??! wow that's a bit steep!
Reply 30
White_redrose
^^^ 'remainder all As'??! wow that's a bit steep!

I agree. I've already said in other topics that i think Durham's GCSE entry requirements are ridiculous.

How they can possibly rubbish so many candidates at the first hurdle on the basis that by the age of 16 these candidates didn't necessarily excel academically in all subjects (including subjects like Science, Maths and Languages which require additional capacities which the historian doesn't nescessarily need) before even considering a candidate's development at A-Level, their natural capacity, flair and talent for history or their passion for the subject? To me, it is boarders on absurdity.

But it's Durham's bed - they lie on it after all.
Reply 31
I 'only' have 5.5a*s and 4as -- is this not good enough for Durham? I mean will those 2 marks for maths come back to haunt me? Is this just for History, or for other subjects (e.g Sciences). Because I'm weird, I'm considering both History and Science degrees :P
Reply 32
Originally posted by Couldxbe
Is this just for History, or for other subjects (e.g Sciences). Because I'm weird, I'm considering both History and Science degrees :P

It doesn't apply to science degrees as they have far less applicants so they can't choose to be as picky. My friend got an offer for physics with 4A*s 2As 3Bs 1C 1D so you'll be fine with your grades for a science degree.
Phil_D
I agree. I've already said in other topics that i think Durham's GCSE entry requirements are ridiculous.

How they can possibly rubbish so many candidates at the first hurdle on the basis that by the age of 16 these candidates didn't necessarily excel academically in all subjects (including subjects like Science, Maths and Languages which require additional capacities which the historian doesn't nescessarily need) before even considering a candidate's development at A-Level, their natural capacity, flair and talent for history or their passion for the subject? To me, it is boarders on absurdity.

But it's Durham's bed - they lie on it after all.

Yep, exactly right. I mean, many of my historian friends at uni are great at maths and science, but I wouldn't say either were necessary in order to do well at History, even at Cambridge. I may have an A* at French GCSE but I just scraped maths and science GCSEs at grade C. And I've never once felt that has hindered me in reading history at uni in any way. And I have other friends who have opted for history at different universities and they feel the same way. It just seems really shortsighted of them. In a way I know people resent the idea that UMS marks/ALL as level grades could be shown, especially if they're planning on resits. but it'd be so much fairer than blocking all people automatically if they happened to have a couple of Cs or Ds along the way. But meh, as you say, their bed.
Reply 34
I've just noticed something....Durham now states on its website that:

Entry requirements

You must satisfy our general University entry requirements. In addition, you should note the following:

GCE and VCE Awards: you will normally be required to secure three A-level passes or their equivalent. Our conditional offer is AAA, although this may vary in individual cases. Most applicants have a strong hand of A* at GCSE, including A* in History

Thats somewhat better than their previous complete silence on the issue.

Originally posted by White_redrose
I just scraped maths and science GCSEs at grade C. And I've never once felt that has hindered me in reading history at uni in any way.

Really? Because I've heard that Stalin and Boyles' Law go hand in hand!

Though it may have been Durham who informed me of that.
Reply 35
kay_oh_dee
I've just started AS levels and I already know that I would really, really like to do History and Politics at Durham, but the problem is I also want to take a gap year. They say on the website that they don't have a problem with deferred entry, and I have 8A*s 3As at GCSE in the following subjects

A* - English, English Lit, History, Maths, Biology, French, Music, Rel Studies
A - Chemistry, Physics, Additional Maths

I expect you would need to be really exceptional for them to reserve you a deferred place, and with Durham's ridiculously high demands for GCSE grades, do I honestly have a hope? This is assuming I get 4 As this year of course (History, Eng Lit, Music and French.) I also have a lot of extracurricular stuff (Grade 8 Piano, Violin & Singing, Ulster Youth Choir, Community Service etc etc)

Please be honest....is it a really bad idea to go for deferred entry?

I would think you have a great chance at Durham for this year, next year, or any other. You are just the kind of person they love!
OH MY GOD! ! ! will someone tell me durham dont need 6A*s or more! *shattered* Ive applied to durham and i only got 3A*s and the rest A's.
And durhams my first preference uni!!! :frown::frown::frown:

note to self: ive just wasted one place in my ucas uni choices options:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 37
groovyPARTYcle
OH MY GOD! ! ! will someone tell me durham dont need 6A*s or more! *shattered* Ive applied to durham and i only got 3A*s and the rest A's.
And durhams my first preference uni!!! :frown::frown::frown:

note to self: ive just wasted one place in my ucas uni choices options:frown::frown::frown:

Errr... according to your sig you have applied to do Biomedical Sciences - this policy only applies for Durham History applicant, as far as I know. Admissions criteria is a departmental issue, not a university issue.
Thank god!
*sorry i wasnt reading this thread properly* false alarm hehe
belle_27
I've just noticed something....Durham now states on its website that:

Thats somewhat better than their previous complete silence on the issue.

Really? Because I've heard that Stalin and Boyles' Law go hand in hand!

Though it may have been Durham who informed me of that.

Lol. Nope, I managed to do pretty well in my first year exams without any maths skills at all. Besides, why would I want to study Stalin anyway? pre 1600 is the way forward, doncha know? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending