The Student Room Group

Where should I go?

Hi guys

I'm planning to ask a girl out and want to have somewhere in mind before I do. Never really dated before so don't know what type of place is best.

What type of thing do you think is most appropriate as a 'getting to know you' type date for 2 uni students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I'm planning to ask a girl out and want to have somewhere in mind before I do. Never really dated before so don't know what type of place is best.

What type of thing do you think is most appropriate as a 'getting to know you' type date for 2 uni students?

Hey!

I hope you're well! It depends what you're both into really? I recommend not going to the cinema if I'm honest though. It can be seen as something nice, but you're sitting watching a film not speaking to other.

Go bowling or go out for lunch - doesn't have to be anywhere fancy too! It doesn't have to be anything too extravagant, unless of course you want it to be?!
Reply 2
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
Hey!

I hope you're well! It depends what you're both into really? I recommend not going to the cinema if I'm honest though. It can be seen as something nice, but you're sitting watching a film not speaking to other.

Go bowling or go out for lunch - doesn't have to be anywhere fancy too! It doesn't have to be anything too extravagant, unless of course you want it to be?!

thanks for the reply! i don't know her all that well so somewhere we can chat is the best so I wouldn't do cinema ha ha

I was thinking of lunch, just not sure where now lol
Reply 3
thanks for the reply! i don't know her all that well so somewhere we can chat is the best so I wouldn't do cinema ha ha

I was thinking of lunch, just not sure where now lol

That's a nice idea :smile: Take a walk, chat it out... Are you near a beach with any pubs, sit outside if it's nice weather, buy her a drink, some food. be yourself!
Reply 4
That's a nice idea :smile: Take a walk, chat it out... Are you near a beach with any pubs, sit outside if it's nice weather, buy her a drink, some food. be yourself!

Yeah, I'm currently living in Bournemouth, I was thinking of a cocktail bar which is almost on the beach!
Reply 5
Yeah, I'm currently living in Bournemouth, I was thinking of a cocktail bar which is almost on the beach!

Great plan - cocktail bars are a winner (hopefully you'll get a nice day aswell, October is meant to be a hot month!). Make sure you take her for a bite to eat! See, you definitely know what you're doing!
Reply 6

Good luck buddy :smile: Let me know how you get on!
Reply 7

Thanks mate! will do! I'm hoping to ask her out today but will be hanging out with a group of people so i'm just hoping I can grab a moment alone!
Reply 8

Thanks mate! will do! I'm hoping to ask her out today but will be hanging out with a group of people so i'm just hoping I can grab a moment alone!

Any suggestion on how to get her alone subtly?

Doesn't a cocktail bar sound a bit pretentious - I might be wrong but aren't they quite expensive and isn't there a danger of getting a bit squiffy.

A nice old pub is always a good bet - atmosphere, local ales and a decent menu is always a winner

Where are you going to be going as a group of friends?
Where are you going to be going as a group of friends?

It's a Christian Union meeting @ uni, we do sometimes go to the pub after as well

Spark up a casual conversation with her and then ask if she fancies going for a drink :smile: Key things to remember are don't make a big deal out of it, keep it fun and keep eye contact when you're speak to her (no asking the floor!) :redface:You'll be fine!

Have fun! Let us know how it goes :smile:
It's a Christian Union meeting @ uni, we do sometimes go to the pub after as well

Maybe at the end of the meeting suggest that you go and get a drink together (if everyone doesn't go to the pub), if everyone goes to the pub, ask her if she wants to go and get a drink!
Hey!

Lunch is a nice idea - but do not order 3 courses and/or eat enough to feed a family of 5: nothing kills a 'sexy atmosphere' like sitting there too bloated to move your arms or having to go and throw up in the toilet!
Invite her somewhere fun, to do an activity, so if there are times when you can't think of anything to say, it's not awkward!
Bowling is a good one! Then if it works out you can always go for a drink after.
other 2 cents thrown in (although safely, placed in not hurled in like a football hooligan), although alas I'm no expert: being pro-active can work perfectly well, but often these things take time and there's no harm in waiting things out and slowly letting things develop as and of themselves....
Original post by Josh_Dickson
other 2 cents thrown in (although safely, placed in not hurled in like a football hooligan), although alas I'm no expert: being pro-active can work perfectly well, but often these things take time and there's no harm in waiting things out and slowly letting things develop as and of themselves....

I like this! Whilst i'm a fan of the proactive approach sometimes it is all about the long game :biggrin:
Original post by MarleyZ
I like this! Whilst i'm a fan of the proactive approach sometimes it is all about the long game :biggrin:

Original post by Josh_Dickson

Wow, just as I work up a bit of courage, this gets thrown in...
Wow, just as I work up a bit of courage, this gets thrown in...

Don't listen to this at all - I think seize the moment. Today is a better time than any to ask her, invite her out on a date :smile: Trust me, it will feel like a huge weight off your shoulders when you have asked her and you'll come across happier and less anxious about it later on. Asking a girl out on a date is nerve-racking, but I think you sound like you have it all under control and you know exactly what you're doing! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest