The Student Room Group

Is it stupid to apply to all these courses with one personal statement? Thanks :)

Hi, this is what I'm thinking of applying to:

1. Biomedical Engineering - Glasgow
2. Biomedical Engineering - Strathclyde
3. Physics - Glasgow
4. Physics - Strathclyde
5. ________

I think it might already be very hard to write a personal statement for these choices but I'd like my fifth choice to be English Lit.

What's everyone's thoughts on writing a personal statement for this?

btw my results are 5 As in Highers (including English, maths, chem & physics)
this year I'm studying 3 advanced highers (maths, chem, physics) and crash higher bio.

thanks soo much for your time :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by ah4p
Hi, this is what I'm thinking of applying to:

1. Biomedical Engineering - Glasgow
2. Biomedical Engineering - Strathclyde
3. Physics - Glasgow
4. Physics - Strathclyde
5. ________

I think it might already be very hard to write a personal statement for these choices but I'd like my fifth choice to be English Lit.

What's everyone's thoughts on writing a personal statement for this?

btw my results are 5 As in Highers (including English, maths, chem & physics)
this year I'm studying 3 advanced highers (maths, chem, physics) and crash higher bio.

thanks soo much for your time :smile: :biggrin:

To answer your question, yes it is stupid.
Particularly applying to English as well your ps will appear undirected and won't show the admissions tutor how you really want to do their subject.
I would suggest you take a gap year if you really can't choose.

If you insist on applying this year then you may be able to apply for biomedical and physics (but not English) if you are clever about it. I would suggest talking about the medical applications of physics eg uses in cat scanners and xray machines and then sneakily relate this to biomedical engineering in a way the physics admissions tutor might not notice.

Also do not mention the words biomedical engineering or physics anywhere in your statement! A sure sign to the admissions tutors you are applying for more than one subject and they won't like it!
Reply 2
Original post by ah4p
x

You will have to choose sooner or later which of these you're actually going to study at university. Your best bet is to decide now, so that you can write a good, focused PS on a single subject. This will give you a much stronger application and a much better chance of getting into the universities you'd like to go to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending