The Student Room Group

Any Aerospace engineering students?

I have sent my UCAS to do aerospace engineering, I am excited to start the course but interested in finding out how current students feel about it.
Reply 1
Original post by Bishoy
I have sent my UCAS to do aerospace engineering, I am excited to start the course but interested in finding out how current students feel about it.

What would you like to know? :smile:
Reply 2
just reply for a bump =v=
i m going to study aerospace engineering too
I start this Monday, however what i can say thus far...expect a busy timetable.

Where have you applied to?
Have you started the course or you've applied to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AeroM
What would you like to know? :smile:

On a scale from 1 to 10 how hard do you think the course is in terms of the maths and physics involved? Is it really hard or doable and do you actually enjoy it?
Sorry for the many questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bigboateng
Have you started the course or you've applied to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have applied to it, will hopefully start in 2015
Reply 7
More responses here please guys. It's not rocket science!
Reply 8
Original post by _Morsey_
I start this Monday, however what i can say thus far...expect a busy timetable.

Where have you applied to?

yeah many people say engineering students in general are really busy :/
i have applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Sheffield, Southampton and Surrey.
Reply 9
Original post by Bishoy
On a scale from 1 to 10 how hard do you think the course is in terms of the maths and physics involved? Is it really hard or doable and do you actually enjoy it?
Sorry for the many questions :smile:

I would honestly struggle to give it a difficulty rating! If you've done well at maths and physics at A Level, and provided you are willing to work hard, you should find it all do-able.

On the whole I really enjoy it. There are bound to be certain subjects that you enjoy more than others; I'm more keen on the aerodynamics / flight mechanics / aircraft performance type modules, but find thermodynamics and any sort of programming pretty tricky. I think this is probably because I'm less interested in the latter!

As long as you can stay motivated, are willing to attend all your lectures and tutorials (you're right - engineering timetables are busy :wink:), and put the work in you should be fine.
I'm hoping to apply for Aerospace engineering aswell, however, I'm still in AS. Would you kindly tell me what subjects you did at AS and what grades you got?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikaela_pascal
I'm hoping to apply for Aerospace engineering aswell, however, I'm still in AS. Would you kindly tell me what subjects you did at AS and what grades you got?

Thanks.

Hey I'm not applying for aerospace engineering, even though it was my first choice. I am applying to do mechanical engineering and they are very similar. If this helps I took physics maths economic and chemistry and dropped chem. I've talked to various uni and for most engineering they want a minimum of physics and maths, with further maths or chemistry being the third subject. However the third subject does not matter as much as the first two. I also got 4As

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing. Thanks so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bishoy
yeah many people say engineering students in general are really busy :/
i have applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Sheffield, Southampton and Surrey.

Oh awesome.

I am currently at Sheffield and so far it has been great. The city is very nice although there is a 30min walk from the main accommodation villages to the campus (or at least Engineering buildings), however my legs have slowly got used to that. Sheffield are also constructing a new Engineering building 'The Diamond' which will be ready for next September. *inserts number 1 Student Union fact here*

So could i assume you will be looking at Cambridge/Imperial as your first choice should you get an offer from them? I wish you the best of luck with offers as no doubt it will be very competitive.
Reply 14
If you are doing Aeronautical, focus on structures. More jobs in that area than Aerodynamics.
Reply 15
Original post by mikaela_pascal

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Maths, Arabic, Physics and Chemistry AS's and I got A,A,B,A respectively. I screwed up my unit 1 physics so I am planning to retake it. I didn't drop any of my AS's and took further maths AS so I will end up with four A-levels in Maths, Arabic, physics and Chemistry plus AS further maths. Even though I submitted my UCAS a week ago, I have already got an A*AA offer from Southampton sking for A*/A in maths and physics plus A in either chemistry of Arabic.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Bishoy
I did Maths, Arabic, Physics and Chemistry AS's and I got A,A,B,A respectively. I screwed up my unit 1 physics so I am planning to retake it. I didn't drop any of my AS's and took further maths AS so I will end up with four A-levels in Maths, Arabic, physics and Chemistry plus AS further maths. Even though I submitted my UCAS a week ago, I have already got an A*AA offer from Southampton sking for A*/A in maths and physics plus A in either chemistry of Arabic.
Hope this helps :smile:

Omg, I would have loved to do them a levels. I know a bit of Arabic myself so I would have found it easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending