The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Intercollegiate or LSE Hall?

Guess what, i haven't even applied for accomodation at LSE yet! I just can't decide between an intercollegiate or an lse hall - could anybody be so kind as to provide points for and against between the two?

from what i understand intercollegiate halls are shared with students from other U of Ls...i'm looking for the closest place to the LSE and while LSE halls seem to be 10 to 25 minute walks away from the LSE, intercollegiate halls are "within easy walking distance". could anybody share some good advice? thanks!!
Reply 1
One thing to bear in mind is that according to the LSE website, all intercollegiate accomodation will operate 40week contracts as of September 2004, whereas LSE Halls and Residencies do not. So it partly depends on whether you want to spend your Christmas's and Easter's in London...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
intercollegiate halls are not much closer than lse halls.
walking distance for int. is around 15-20 mins and 20-25 for lse halls [bankside, rosebery, carr-saunders, passfield]. butler's wharf is further away [about 45 minutes walking] and holborn is the closest [7/8 minutes].
Reply 3
PCP
OP
Thanks! I don't think I'll be spending christmas in london but i guess there isn't much choice with the contracts...?

Am i allowed to list both intercollegiate and lse hall choices? I know there's a drop-down list saying I can only choose one, but my main concern is the distance. Would they take that into account or is there no choice?
Reply 4
PCP
Thanks! I don't think I'll be spending christmas in london but i guess there isn't much choice with the contracts...?

Am i allowed to list both intercollegiate and lse hall choices? I know there's a drop-down list saying I can only choose one, but my main concern is the distance. Would they take that into account or is there no choice?

i dont know. last year you could choose three halls from both lse and intercollegiate but as i am not applying for housing this year, i have no idea what the form looks like.
send an email to the accommodation office if you're not sure.
Reply 5
PCP

No they don't seem to offer to much in the way of flexibility by the looks of their website. ( www.lse.ac.uk/accomodation ) Seems that at particular residencies eg. Carr-Saunders, Roseberry they operate 31 week contracts only whereas at other eg High Holborn they operate 40 week contracts. So therefore you have to base your choice on accomodation partly on whether you want to be in London just for term times or not.

Yes, when I filled in the form you are allowed to list both intercollegiate and LSE halls, however you can just leave it blank if you wish (as I did). With intercollegiate you've got to be careful your happy with the contract they operate as it seems they all run 40week ones from this year:

"News

The UL Intercollegiate Accommodation Committee decided in March 2004 that all University of London halls will operate a 40 week contract to include Christmas and Easter vacations."

As regards the distance, I walked from Carr-Saunders to the LSE campus to see how long it takes, and it only took me about 20mins or so. I'm not quite sure how far it is from Roseberry, their website estimates it at about 25minutes.
Reply 6
Yeh I know, you very soon find yourself with little or no choice about where you go even if you have a very small amount of demands e.g. I dont want a 40 week contract and I dont want a manky hall. Im only left with roseberry and Carr- Saunders if i decide to go to LSE, and Roseberry is in Islington, which to be honest, I dont much like.
Reply 7
lol, whats wrong with having to choose between only 2 halls sam??? 2's enough for me.
Samd294, why don't you like Rosebery's location? To me it's pretty good if you want to live in London, rather than enjoy the tourist things. There's loads of good (yet reasonable) bars, restaurants and clubs near by (Upper St), as well as a full size Sainsbury's.
Reply 9
MuvverRussia
Samd294, why don't you like Rosebery's location? To me it's pretty good if you want to live in London, rather than enjoy the tourist things. There's loads of good (yet reasonable) bars, restaurants and clubs near by (Upper St), as well as a full size Sainsbury's.

i agree and its also a lot bigger than some other halls
Reply 10
yeah, rose looks really cool... and you even get a tiny garden in the middle :wink: the reception guy is a bit gay, though (not that I mind gay ppl).

Latest

Trending

Trending