The Student Room Group

Studying Economics to Become a Day Trader

Hi,

I am currently studying Economics at a Red Brick university and my aim in life is not to become a sheep and just go after internships, jobs etc. I want to become my own boss and do something on my own, maybe a day trader and get part time into the property business.

I wanted to know will studying Economics help me with day trading or even investing in the stock market? I am genuinely interested in the course and I am starting next week, I want to get a degree purely to expand my knowledge regarding Economics and not just because I want a job in Canary Wharf.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by ItsTheMrG
Hi,

I am currently studying Economics at a Red Brick university and my aim in life is not to become a sheep and just go after internships, jobs etc. I want to become my own boss and do something on my own, maybe a day trader and get part time into the property business.

I wanted to know will studying Economics help me with day trading or even investing in the stock market? I am genuinely interested in the course and I am starting next week, I want to get a degree purely to expand my knowledge regarding Economics and not just because I want a job in Canary Wharf.

Thanks!

If you want to be a trader then there are many areas you will need to be proficient in. Maths, statistics, maybe computing(?) as well as having a good knowledge of economic conditions and how certain events will impact upon share price.

Having an degree in Economics certainly isn't going to harm you. You will learn the basics of plenty of those skills. If you select finance modules you can also start to pick up the basics of the financial markets.

A degree in Economics isn't going to teach you how to trade though. Some universities have modules like that (Reading I believe has mock 'trading floors') but for the most part, your degree isn't going to put you in a position to start trading - there will be plenty more to learn.
Reply 2
Original post by josh_v
If you want to be a trader then there are many areas you will need to be proficient in. Maths, statistics, maybe computing(?) as well as having a good knowledge of economic conditions and how certain events will impact upon share price.

Having an degree in Economics certainly isn't going to harm you. You will learn the basics of plenty of those skills. If you select finance modules you can also start to pick up the basics of the financial markets.

A degree in Economics isn't going to teach you how to trade though. Some universities have modules like that (Reading I believe has mock 'trading floors') but for the most part, your degree isn't going to put you in a position to start trading - there will be plenty more to learn.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. That's all I need, just the basic from university. I chose my modules yesterday and rather than going with languages or anything I went with 2 finance ones. I knew they would help me.

May I ask, are you a trader yourself? Your reply doesn't seem like it was from a college student, I may be wrong but I'm guessing you're already in the field. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. That's all I need, just the basic from university. I chose my modules yesterday and rather than going with languages or anything I went with 2 finance ones. I knew they would help me.

May I ask, are you a trader yourself? Your reply doesn't seem like it was from a college student, I may be wrong but I'm guessing you're already in the field. :biggrin:

No, I'm not a trader. I know enough to know I dont know anywhere near enough to trade.
I graduated with a degree in Economics and Finance, and now doing MSc in Financial Risk Management at UCL.

Where are you studying?
Reply 4
Original post by josh_v
No, I'm not a trader. I know enough to know I dont know anywhere near enough to trade.
I graduated with a degree in Economics and Finance, and now doing MSc in Financial Risk Management at UCL.

Where are you studying?

Oh ok, and why don't you like trading? Life should have a little bit of risk you know. I'm studying pure Economics.. The course is more interesting than I thought tbh
Reply 5
Oh ok, and why don't you like trading? Life should have a little bit of risk you know. I'm studying pure Economics.. The course is more interesting than I thought tbh

Id love to do it. But I dont have the money or the time (or the desire) to do it right now. Its an exciting way to earn a living though.

It looks like from your other posts that you are at Birmingham? Thats where I went. There are a few modules that will teach you about finance, although you would learn more finance on the MBF course which is what I did. But theres still a few you could pick up doing Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending