The Student Room Group

Should I Just Do Cardio If Trying To Lose Fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Northerner
After 4/5pm your body can't process the carbs before you go to sleep and they're stored as fat. A lot of people would see a difference within weeks if they cut out carbs past a certain time.

As for expensive online "cookie cutter" diets, there's a whole host of sites dedicated to advice and tips free of charge, you've just got to look for it.
As I said in my earlier post though everybody is different, you've got to work out the best plan for yourself.

There is absolutely no scientific reasoning behind that carb advice, absolutely none. Why on earth would we be adapted to not being able to process carbs after a menial time?
If you're in a deficit, no matter what you lose fat. Meal timing has no effect on body composition.

Fair enough there are some that are free, but a lot are not + why restrict your diet so heavily when you can eat what you want in reason, if you count your calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Schezerade
I'm 5"1, about 48kg (no idea what my body fat percentage is) and run regularly (sprints, that sort of thing). I was thinking of doing some bodyweight exercises as well, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or what I should do. Am moving in a few months and trying to save money too, so gym membership/buying home weights wouldn't be worth it right now.

I'm looking to lose fat right now (I want to start doing gymnastics once I'm in shape, and to do that you have to be very light and strong). Should I start doing stuff like bodyweight exercises right now, or save it till after I've lost fat? I'm on quite a high-protein diet as I am cutting.

Also - this is the sort of figure I'm going for:

Though if I had a choice I'd want a figure/legs like Blake Lively's (girl on the right), but I'm not sure if that's achievable because she's quite tall:

You sound hot.

I recommend bodyweight exercises and Olympic style lifts for losing weight though. They're just what I find the most fun tbh.
Original post by Miscer-22
Caloric deficit + 0.75g of protein per a pound of body weight. Now split the remaining calories between carbs and fats.

Nutrition:

tracking calories:

Why would you take advice from that guy though? Pretty sure I've never seen him not fat lmao.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Why would you take advice from that guy though? Pretty sure I've never seen him not fat lmao.

Omar Isuf.. Fat?

Wat? The guy is 15% or such year round and on occasion goes sub 10%

The guy is lean as

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound hot.

You sound like you need a drink of water
Original post by Angry cucumber
Omar Isuf.. Fat?

Wat? The guy is 15% or such year round and on occasion goes sub 10%

The guy is lean as

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has a shirt on in nearly every vid I've seen him in and he just does not look that lean from what I can see of him lol.

Where as most other fitness people on youtube either post pictures of themselves topless or do vids every now and then to prove they aren't BSing.

Original post by illusionz

You sound like a hater. Sit down boy.

Only saying so because she's a miscer anyway :clap2:
(edited 9 years ago)
There is absolutely no scientific reasoning behind that carb advice, absolutely none. Why on earth would we be adapted to not being able to process carbs after a menial time?
If you're in a deficit, no matter what you lose fat. Meal timing has no effect on body composition.

Fair enough there are some that are free, but a lot are not + why restrict your diet so heavily when you can eat what you want in reason, if you count your calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not for a moment say that you can't eat what you want within reason and count calories, but for loosing weight as the OP asked, I recommend cutting carbs out after a certain time.

It's called a card curfew and it's used by a lot of people. I've provided my piece of advice based on something that has worked for me.

A more stupid piece of advice would be to cut carbs out all together - your body needs them to function

Posted from TSR Mobile

intermittent fasting and other variations of it work. jussayin.
He has a shirt on in nearly every vid I've seen him in and he just does not look that lean from what I can see of him lol.

Where as most other fitness people on youtube either post pictures of themselves topless or do vids every now and then to prove they aren't BSing.

You sound like a hater. Sit down boy.

Only saying so because she's a miscer anyway :clap2:

rofl thirsty and defensive. Spot the virgin.

Since when did anyone need to be shredded and huge to offer good advice? Go follow Kali Muscle's routine to end up like him in 1 year... Completely drug free too.
rofl thirsty and defensive. Spot the virgin.

Since when did anyone need to be shredded and huge to offer good advice? Go follow Kali Muscle's routine to end up like him in 1 year... Completely drug free too.

Lol why u mad tho? Sit down son.

Since a fat person who's never been shredded before giving you advice is more legit than a shredded person giving advice on how to get shredded right? Lel.
Lol why u mad tho? Sit down son.

Since a fat person who's never been shredded before giving you advice is more legit than a shredded person giving advice on how to get shredded right? Lel.

The best coaches were never the best players.

lol you really need to grow up rather than spouting misc crap such as umad son whenever you get called out for being a thirsty teenager. Mind you, what else do people like you do but act hard on the internet.
The best coaches were never the best players.

lol you really need to grow up rather than spouting misc crap such as umad son whenever you get called out for being a thirsty teenager. Mind you, what else do people like you do but act hard on the internet.

Calm down my child. You need to chill out and stop picking fights on the internet. :laugh:

Calm down my child. You need to chill out and stop picking fights on the internet. :laugh:

You know you've won the debate when all the other guy can come up with is personal insults.
You know you've won the debate when all the other guy can come up with is personal insults.

warning:strong language

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Schezerade
Eh?

Ignore him, you can eat whenever you want, 11pm or 11am, as long as you get your macros.
yes you absolutely should lift weights when cutting, if you don't you'll lose a **** load of muscle along with the fat, at the very least you should do body weight exercises until you get acces to a gym/free weights
Original post by Northerner
After 4/5pm your body can't process the carbs before you go to sleep and they're stored as fat. A lot of people would see a difference within weeks if they cut out carbs past a certain time.

nonsense, meal timing is irrelevant to body composition, if you're in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, period.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by In One Ear
No, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD begin resistance training now.

Put it this way, if you don't, you'll lose a lot of muscle whilst dieting down along with the fat, so once your cut is over, you'll have a lot more muscle to build to reach your goal than if you'd preserved your existing muscle whilst cutting.

Thanks man. Oh yeah, that makes sense I guess.

You're a non-athlete female who finds proper push-ups not enough of a workout? Can't say I've met many females like you yet, most can't do a single legit full ROM pushup with a nice pause at the bottom, good control and a straight body position.
If you really are finding them too easy, just prop your feet up above your shoulders on a chair or something and do them at an angle (remember to maintain a straight body), use a harder hand position (diamond for instance) or begin using your arms unevenly in the pushups (i.e. lower down towards one hand, then attempt to push back up using that arm for the majority of the work, alternate between sides).

Squat wise if body-weight is too easy (all but the most unfit find this), then simply work towards single leg squats (pistol squats).

You should also get a door pullup bar and begin working on pullups/chinups or else you are doing literally nothing for a large proportion of your musculature.

You don't need to work out frequently if you are just attempting to maintain during a cut, 3 intense sets of each exercise every 4th day should be fine for instance.

Yeah, I think I might just put my feet on a chair or something for push-ups. I definitely can't do them one-armed so that's something to aspire to :lol:

Re: squats, how do I work towards doing pistol squats? I tried a few of them before, was strong enough to do one or two but my balance was all off. Should I keep trying to do them one-legged or wear a really heavy rucksack or something and do them the normal way, gradually building up?

Is it possible to get a pullup bar that doesn't require screwing in? The landlord here is fussy as anything (I'm moving in a few months btw, when I intend to join the gym in a new place), am not even allowed to hammer a nail into the wall to hang a picture from lol.

So just do BW exercises about twice a week, then. Btw, how many exercises should I do? I'm doing all the basics, obviously (squats/push-ups/lunges/crunches/dips etc.) but there are so many possible ones (like adductor lifts or whatever) I'm not sure how many to have in a workout.
Reply 38
Original post by FasterThanFTL
the way to lose weight is through diet

Already eating clean

Angry cucumber
They're incredibly inaccurate, so no

That sucks. Is there no accurate way to measure BFP, then?

Follow what IOE says below for exercise wise.

Cutting out carbs is daft unless your appetite is very large. You'll feel miserable if you go truly keto

Use my fitness pal to count calories and work out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure

This

#yeswecan

OK, thanks.

Will check out My Fitness Pal now.
#yeswecan :biggrin:

vickidc18
Do weights too as muscle actually burns fat and requires more calories
eat a good balanced diet, lots of lean protein, only good fats etc.
Maybe I should take my own advice I have a **** diet :P

Thanks hun, yeah I've decided to not just do cardio any more :smile: What do you eat, if you don't mind me asking?

Reply 39
You sound hot.

I recommend bodyweight exercises and Olympic style lifts for losing weight though. They're just what I find the most fun tbh.

Thanks brah, but who was IRL womanlet height chart? :teehee:

And yeah, lifting looks like a lot of fun and I intend to start, but am moving in a few months/budgeting till then so I'm going to join a gym after I move :smile:.

illusionz

Water's good /stayhydrated :tongue:

Greg Jackson
yes you absolutely should lift weights when cutting, if you don't you'll lose a **** load of muscle along with the fat, at the very least you should do body weight exercises until you get acces to a gym/free weights

Yeah, I definitely intend to do BW exercises now.

Quick Reply

Latest