The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Good pubs/bars/cafés

Just moved to Reading and wondering if you guys can help.

I'm looking for a decent pub or whatever to go to. I'm not into the slug and lettuce etc or bars playing music in the charts.

Are there any particularly "alternative" places to go?

When I lived in Canterbury they had a great venue which was nice and played music like Elliot smith. Any chance of a golden place like that in Reading?
Hello! Yes there are different places to go to in Reading. I really like going to the Global Cafe on London Street. Here they have a variety if events from live music with a whole range of genres and poetry slams. The food is really nice too. The Oakford Club is a nice spot to go to for live music and this is opposite the station. They also host the BBC Introducing Live for up and coming bands. Milk is a small bar in Merchants place and they do great cocktails and music here as well as comedy nights.

Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
I really like The Purple Turtle, but the students say it i to older people. Okay, I can't see students there, but the drinks and everything there is awesome. The Global Cafe is REALLY welcoming.
The Horn is near to the Purple Turtle, this do is pub to olders, but the food is cheap and amazing! And they have live music (usually blues, folk, jazz) on Saturdays night.

I went to the Sakura in the Fresher's Week, but I didn't like there. Overcrowded and, I on't know, but the place isn't good.

TGIF and Monroe's Rib House are a little expensive, but it's worth going there.

I'm here almost 2 months, I need to go to new places. :frown:

Gabs, Internation Foundation Programme, and Computer Science after it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending