The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2015

Who's applying for English courses this year? :cookie:

Where are you applying to?

What courses are you going for? :smile:

What A Levels did you take?

Here's also a link to the English connect/stalking pages, you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm applying for English for the coming year, and was just interested to hear how other people's applications are going and what kind of things you're reading? Couldn't find anything on here for this purpose. I'm applying to Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Exeter and Manchester :smile:
Can I just ask what A Levels/Access/other qualifactions you have? I'm also applying for Exeter but I only have English Language and not Literature. I have an AS in Literature but not a full qualifacation.
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Who's applying for English courses this year? :cookie:

What courses are you going for? :smile:

Here's also a link to the English connect/stalking pages, you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:

Hey, I'm applying for English Literature/English Literature with Creative Writing. I'm applying to UEA, Portsmouth, Bath Spa, Leicester, Westminster. I'm a gap year applicant and so I've already done my A Levels but will be retaking a few to boost the grades up. I did English Literature, History, Psychology and Sociology at A2 (:
Reply 4
Hey, I'm applying for English Literature at UEA, Leicester, Portsmouth, Westminster and Bath Spa (: For my PS, I included Nabokov's Lolita, Shelley's Frankenstein and Tolkien's TLOTR. I've finished my application and will be sending it off in the coming week.
Hey, I'm going for English Lit, at Newcastle, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield and I'm not sure about the last one. I'm a gap year student so already got my grades and all that:smile: As for my personal statement I've included "A song of ice and fire" (game of thrones), "The Curious incident of the dog in the night time", "the catcher in the rye", "The picture of dorian gray" and then a little about a couple of poets
Not completely decided yet but Queen Marys, Kings college, Royal Holloway and Westminster ~ can't find a 5th choice! :eek4:

What courses are you going for?
All Q300 English literature but I'm throwing in maybe the combined Arabic and English lit. at Westminster

English Lit.,Biology, Fine Art and Economics&business (dropped)

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by maymuyt
Hey, I'm applying for English Literature/English Literature with Creative Writing. I'm applying to UEA, Portsmouth, Bath Spa, Leicester, Westminster. I'm a gap year applicant and so I've already done my A Levels but will be retaking a few to boost the grades up. I did English Literature, History, Psychology and Sociology at A2 (:

THat sounds awesome :woo: Which is you first choice do you think? :smile:

Original post by Marmite97
Not completely decided yet but Queen Marys, Kings college, Royal Holloway and Westminster ~ can't find a 5th choice! :eek4:

All Q300 English literature but I'm throwing in maybe the combined Arabic and English lit. at Westminster

English Lit.,Biology, Fine Art and Economics&business (dropped)

:lol: You still have some time to chose a fifth choice, right? :smile: Don't stress!

Arabic and English lit sounds super interesting :smile: Can you speak Arabic?
Hi everyone,

I'm Chloe a second year Student Ambassador from Kingston Uni. Let me know if you have any questions about what studying lit is like! I did English Literature and Creative Writing in my first year at Kingston and I am now just studying English so I can talk about both side.

Drop me a question, I'll be happy to help!

Chloe :smile:

Student Ambassador
😅 Can't really speak anything but the super basics at the moment but they're meant to take you from clueless to fluent...😇
Can't really speak anything but the super basics at the moment but they're meant to take you from clueless to fluent...

That sounds really good :biggrin: You will have a great time whichever course/uni :woo:
😅 Can't really speak anything but the super basics at the moment but they're meant to take you from clueless to fluent...😇

That sounds really good :biggrin: You will have a great time whichever course/uni :woo:

Cambridge, King's College London, Bristol, York and Exeter. :smile: (No safe choices...)

Straight English Lit, with study in North America at Exeter and with Related Literature at York.

Taking Lit, Philosophy, Psychology and Maths at A2, and took Biology at AS.
Original post by paradoxicalme

Cambridge, King's College London, Bristol, York and Exeter. :smile: (No safe choices...)

Straight English Lit, with study in North America at Exeter and with Related Literature at York.

Taking Lit, Philosophy, Psychology and Maths at A2, and took Biology at AS.

Would you say queen Mary's is on the same calibre as Kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHTWFR
Would you say queen Mary's is on the same calibre as Kings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think queen mary's is a great uni but is below kings.
Applying for English Lit at Cambridge, Warwick and Edinburgh and then English lit with American studies (year abroad inc) at Nottingham and Birmingham.

A- Levels: English Lit, History, English Language and Biology

Predicted grades are A*A*A

Just sent my UCAS off now so will keep u updated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by libbispr96
Applying for English Lit at Cambridge, Warwick and Edinburgh and then English lit with American studies (year abroad inc) at Nottingham and Birmingham.

Predicted grades are A*A*A

Just sent my UCAS off now so will keep u updated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool choices! I live near Warwick, it's a lovely uni and their creative writing department is epic in case you're into that kind of thing. Which Cambridge college? :smile:
Cool choices! I live near Warwick, it's a lovely uni and their creative writing department is epic in case you're into that kind of thing. Which Cambridge college? :smile:

Im really excited about Warwick i've heard such good things about it. Im looking at going into screenwriting so a good creative writing dep is what i was very invested in finding. OBVS there is the cambridge footlights which is why cambridge appealed so much. And Magdalene :smile: it was so pretty!
Original post by libbispr96
Im really excited about Warwick i've heard such good things about it. Im looking at going into screenwriting so a good creative writing dep is what i was very invested in finding. OBVS there is the cambridge footlights which is why cambridge appealed so much. And Magdalene :smile: it was so pretty!

It does have a great reputation for English :biggrin: Screenwriting sounds so cool, I've always wanted to be able to write scripts and such. Magdalene's a lovely college - my friend Allie has just started studying BioNatSci there :smile: I'm applying to Emmanuel, which is very very pretty. :biggrin:
It does have a great reputation for English :biggrin: Screenwriting sounds so cool, I've always wanted to be able to write scripts and such. Magdalene's a lovely college - my friend Allie has just started studying BioNatSci there :smile: I'm applying to Emmanuel, which is very very pretty. :biggrin:

My cousin is a professor at Stanford in Cali so he is hopefully going to convince admissions to let me do a masters in film production/direction there afterwards. I was initially going to apply to Emmanuel but on the open day in July Magdalene was the first college i went to and i just fell in love with it. Science ew.... :wink: Good luck! where else are you applying?

Quick Reply