The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Psychology a good subject?

I'm doing GCSE Psychology at the moment on OCR and so far it's great, very interesting, almost like a science but with a different side.
Obviously, A-Level is different, So i wanted opinions on it & which exam board you where on. Did you enjoy it? What did it involve? Would you recommend it?

Also, I was considering taking Psychology at university, is A-Level psychology essential for a degree course?
Is it taken seriously by good universities?

Thank you!
Reply 1
I did Psychology at GCSE too and found it interesting also. I don't do A-Level Psychology myself but I know a friend that does and she loves it, so yes, if you're interested in Psychology then consider it at A-Level. I wish I could say more on the subject at A-Level but I don't do it! For the uni thing though, when I had my careers meeting she advised me to do a Psychology A-Level for a Psychology degree because it would show I knew my stuff about Psychology, so that's something you may want to consider.
Original post by froa98
I'm doing GCSE Psychology at the moment on OCR and so far it's great, very interesting, almost like a science but with a different side.
Obviously, A-Level is different, So i wanted opinions on it & which exam board you where on. Did you enjoy it? What did it involve? Would you recommend it?

Also, I was considering taking Psychology at university, is A-Level psychology essential for a degree course?

Thank you!

Psychology is definitely worth studying - I am currently doing Psychology, English Literature, Sociology and Geography A2; Psychology is an extremely interesting and fun subject to study - although, it is very difficult and does actually require a lot of work. It sounds harsh, but unless you are willing to work and do everything that you can to get great grades - then it will not be worth it. Psychology is a great A Level to have; universities really like it because it teaches you a wide range of skills - from research skills to maths skills, to science-based skills and of course essay writing. Therefore, I would certainly recommend it; as long as you enjoy it :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lauzy00
I did Psychology at GCSE too and found it interesting also. I don't do A-Level Psychology myself but I know a friend that does and she loves it, so yes, if you're interested in Psychology then consider it at A-Level. I wish I could say more on the subject at A-Level but I don't do it! For the uni thing though, when I had my careers meeting she advised me to do a Psychology A-Level for a Psychology degree because it would show I knew my stuff about Psychology, so that's something you may want to consider.

Thank you! I will definitely look into it now, especially if it's a good background for the degree. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by nataliet97
Psychology is definitely worth studying - I am currently doing Psychology, English Literature, Sociology and Geography A2; Psychology is an extremely interesting and fun subject to study - although, it is very difficult and does actually require a lot of work. It sounds harsh, but unless you are willing to work and do everything that you can to get great grades - then it will not be worth it. Psychology is a great A Level to have; universities really like it because it teaches you a wide range of skills - from research skills to maths skills, to science-based skills and of course essay writing. Therefore, I would certainly recommend it; as long as you enjoy it :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Thank you! I understand about the workload, but all a levels must be like that right? Anyway, I'm definitely willing and will into the psychology course offered :smile:
Original post by froa98

Thank you!

I did GCSE Psychology AQA and got a A on paper one and B on paper two, B overall, and absolutely loved every lesson. I am now doing my second year with A-level Psychology and I personally feel it is a lot lot harder! You have to remember so many studies and in much more detail! There is so much writing, especially in A2! I got two D's in AS, but am resetting both this year to hopefully get at least a B

It is harder understandably and I do love it, my advice is make sure you keep onto of it from day one, constantly go over things after lesson and don't leave it too late to revise! I made that mistake an look where it go me, now i am taking all 4 exams in the same month, excluding my other subjects. Also, make sure you keep/make all of your essay plans and revision notes as you go along and not until exam season
Original post by froa98
Thank you! I understand about the workload, but all a levels must be like that right? Anyway, I'm definitely willing and will into the psychology course offered :smile:

Personally, I find the Psychology workload heavier than in my other subjects (English Lit, Sociology and Geography) - but, I guess it depends on what you are good at as well - e.g. I am not great at science, potentially meaning that the science-side of Psychology can sometimes cause me problems; however, as long as you keep on top of it - I am sure that you will thoroughly enjoy it, definitely worth studying! :smile:
Reply 7
I studied Psychology upto AS-level and i can say I honestly did not enjoy one part of the course. Sure the topics are interesting but its just not something that I would recommend to someone to study. I would only recommend you to pick it if you are seriously looking to apply to study pyschology at University.Also it's a huge hassle to revise for honestly the it was the most stressful of my four AS subjects ( Biology Chemistry Mathematics and Psychology). Having said that the grade boundaries are incredibly low so if you are consistent you can achieve incredibly high ums. I had never studied psychology before AS and achieved much higher scores than people who studied it at GCSE :colone: So I would say it's all about how much work you put in
that depends. I love the subject and currently studying it at A2.....
Reply 9
Terrible subject choice, full of girls who can't do physics/chem so they can call themselves 'scientists'.

trololol
I did psychology at A Level with AQA and I enjoyed it so much. The topics are so interesting - especially the A2 ones - and the concepts and theories are really easy to grasp. I'm hoping to go on to study it at uni next year :smile: I'd really recommend doing it but it's not essential for university. It's included as a science A Level which many unis ask for if you're applying for a psychology degree, but I haven't seen any entry requirements which say you must have it. Everyone says that degree-level psychology is very different to A Level as well. If you want to do it as a degree, it might be worth doing like a biology A Level as well to make you look more desirable. I wish I did now :smile:
looooool
looooool
Original post by ubisoft
Terrible subject choice, full of girls who can't do physics/chem so they can call themselves 'scientists'.

trololol

loooool
Reply 14
Original post by ubisoft

trololol

.... i know this is 9 years ago but i do psych bio and chem and got a* a* a at AS level

Latest