The Student Room Group

Did this girl lead me on and why??!

Okay I brefly met a girl who was on another masters course at uni. I always saw her from afar, and managed to make brief conversation with her from the tube to uni, but not much more. Alas, timetables were completely different and she was surrounded by cock blockers, etc.

By happy coincidence, I was walking in the lobby at work 3 months ago and then bump into her. We're working at the same company! I said hi and she goes "Oh hey hi!!" and gave me a hug. She said let's catch up sometime. I quickly said, yeah sure, here I'll give you my number. She was with a friend so I said I'd text mine to her.

I texted her once in the evening to wish her well for the weekend and give her mine. She responded with thanks and an x in about 5 minutes.

I saw her again on Tuesday, (again she was with someone carrying lunch back to her desk - she works in a different division) and she smiled and flirted back (laughed and touched her hair, etc). Same again another week later.

I decided to text her about a catch up as I had become less busy. Didn't get a response. Met her in a corridor, but again she was with someone and didn't get a word in, just a smile from her and a wave as we passed.

Texted her again. But no response?!

In the end I thought ah this girl is not interested then. Then last week, I saw her again at the lifts, couldn't avoid her and said hi to her. She gave me that glowing smile and she is ****ing beautiful. She looks like a bollywood model or something. I chit chatted but again got cut short as my floor is first and out of nowhere 20 people come into the lift. When she talks to me in person she is very smiley.

Then just yesterday I found out from someone I met at drinks after work who works in another department that they were invited to her engagement party??!!!

What? So she was engaged this whole time? There was no ring and now I feel uncomfortable for flirting with her and a little led on. I also feel bad for fancying the pants of this incredibly beautiful engaged woman!

What to do?

Scroll to see replies

She flirted with you and like your attention. Did she lead you on? Yes perhaps she did a little, then maybe felt guilty about it and stopped responding to texts. But the fact she keeps smiling at you warmly in person means she is either a very smily person or she has some attraction to you.

However as she is engaged, she's now taken. You did nothing wrong, as you didn't know she was engaged. She should have brought it up in casual conversation and she had ample time to do so.

Who knows, maybe this one secretly craves some excitement or was keeping you there as a potential backup in case it fell through, hence the flirting, but nothing on written record.

Don't feel bad and move on. Don't let it hurt your confidence. You did well given your business and the circumstances. I know it's hard to flirt at work. Good work on getting the number. Keep doing it and eventually you will meet a nice girl who doesn't lie/decline to reveal that she is married.
You do nothing. She's engaged. Guess you gotta move on, good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay I brefly met a girl who was on another masters course at uni. I always saw her from afar, and managed to make brief conversation with her from the tube to uni, but not much more. Alas, timetables were completely different and she was surrounded by cock blockers, etc.

By happy coincidence, I was walking in the lobby at work 3 months ago and then bump into her. We're working at the same company! I said hi and she goes "Oh hey hi!!" and gave me a hug. She said let's catch up sometime. I quickly said, yeah sure, here I'll give you my number. She was with a friend so I said I'd text mine to her.

I texted her once in the evening to wish her well for the weekend and give her mine. She responded with thanks and an x in about 5 minutes.

I saw her again on Tuesday, (again she was with someone carrying lunch back to her desk - she works in a different division) and she smiled and flirted back (laughed and touched her hair, etc). Same again another week later.

I decided to text her about a catch up as I had become less busy. Didn't get a response. Met her in a corridor, but again she was with someone and didn't get a word in, just a smile from her and a wave as we passed.

Texted her again. But no response?!

In the end I thought ah this girl is not interested then. Then last week, I saw her again at the lifts, couldn't avoid her and said hi to her. She gave me that glowing smile and she is ****ing beautiful. She looks like a bollywood model or something. I chit chatted but again got cut short as my floor is first and out of nowhere 20 people come into the lift. When she talks to me in person she is very smiley.

Then just yesterday I found out from someone I met at drinks after work who works in another department that they were invited to her engagement party??!!!

What? So she was engaged this whole time? There was no ring and now I feel uncomfortable for flirting with her and a little led on. I also feel bad for fancying the pants of this incredibly beautiful engaged woman!

What to do?

The answer is obvious she's engaged which you can do nothing about just move on and forget about what happened. Some girls are naturally friendly and tend to smile a lot which probably made you believe she was sending signals.
Reply 4
Original post by Black Cat
The answer is obvious she's engaged which you can do nothing about just move on and forget about what happened. Some girls are naturally friendly and tend to smile a lot which probably made you believe she was sending signals.

She also suggested the catchup "Let's grab a coffee sometime". That's when we exchanged numbers.

I agree, I am moving on. My question really is whether she led me on. She never told me she was engaged!! I feel embarassed for flirting with her - it's as if I was coming on strong to an engaged woman!
Reply 5
Original post by AlphaNick
what to do, you ask?

move on.

I know. I will move on for sure. Did she lead me on is my question? She suggested "Let's catch up sometime and grab a coffee or something?" She exchanged numbers, smiled at me everytime, touched her hair and NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS ENGAGED?!!

I feel embarassed and bad for flirting with an engaged woman.

Original post by Unicorn16
You do nothing. She's engaged. Guess you gotta move on, good luck.

Will do, but did she lead me on is my question?

She flirted with you and like your attention. Did she lead you on? Yes perhaps she did a little, then maybe felt guilty about it and stopped responding to texts. But the fact she keeps smiling at you warmly in person means she is either a very smily person or she has some attraction to you.

However as she is engaged, she's now taken. You did nothing wrong, as you didn't know she was engaged. She should have brought it up in casual conversation and she had ample time to do so.

Who knows, maybe this one secretly craves some excitement or was keeping you there as a potential backup in case it fell through, hence the flirting, but nothing on written record.

Don't feel bad and move on. Don't let it hurt your confidence. You did well given your business and the circumstances. I know it's hard to flirt at work. Good work on getting the number. Keep doing it and eventually you will meet a nice girl who doesn't lie/decline to reveal that she is married.

Thanks for this. Yeah I will move on. It's shaken my confidence and perception. Now I keep checking every ring finger I see!!
If she didn't tell you she was engaged and flirted with you and suggested "you grab a coffee sometime together", then yeah she was kinda leading you on. Especially since every time you physically met, she never even casually brought it up.

Not sure why she responded to your first texts and then later didn't. Maybe she felt attracted to you, couldn't bring herself to tell you she was engaged, then decided she better not tempt herself.

YOU DID NOTHING WRONG. SHE LED YOU ON. NOW YOU CAN MOVE ON. DON'T LET HER PUT YOU OFF!!
what to do, you ask?

move on.

I agree move on. But she definitely led you on in my opinion. She suggested grabbing a coffee and then continually laughed and smiled seductively at you. She never told you she was getting married? Not even casually?

Don't feel embarassed, you did nothing wrong. Just don't bother with her anymore as a friend, she's clearly not truthful.
no, she was friendly, unless there is more to this there seems nothing to indicate that she led you on
No, she didn't lead you on. My guess is that she, like you, was nervous about starting her masters at a new university - so maybe she was trying to get some new friends to help her settle in - that plus her possibly being flirty by nature.

They're not doing a masters though. They're both working now right?

He said they met each other again at the same workplace.

I think she did lead him on. She flirted not once, but every time. She did not bring up that she was engaged at all! And also suggested meeting up for coffee!
Original post by TenOfThem
no, she was friendly, unless there is more to this there seems nothing to indicate that she led you on

Thing is she suggested meeting up for coffee, though never followed up on my request for a catchup. She always smiled and laughed flirtily when she saw me in person. You know when someone gives you their full smile and looks straight at you.

She never told me she was engaged at any point, not casually, not in person, not by text, no ring on finger!
Thing is she suggested meeting up for coffee, though never followed up on my request for a catchup. She always smiled and laughed flirtily when she saw me in person. You know when someone gives you their full smile and looks straight at you.

Yeah, friendly - no leading on
omfg who is the second anonymous, i'm trying to help here and you're confusing me

Haha I'm the thread starter, Anon 1.

No, she didn't lead you on. My guess is that she, like you, was nervous about starting her masters at a new university - so maybe she was trying to get some new friends to help her settle in - that plus her possibly being flirty by nature.

Like the other guy said, we first briefly met at uni. But my thread is about when we met again at work. We work for the same company. The last 3 months worth of face to face meetings in the corridor or texting has been since we are both working.

She suggested getting a coffee, not me. She also laughed and smiled at me glowingly. I have never seen her do that to any one else and no guys seem to have got anywhere near her at the firm. I asked around my pals on other divisions, and no one has managed to get her number.

She never mentioned engagement at any point. She didn't wear a ring. I feel embarassed. I mean she still hasn't told me and I am moving on. But all this time, I was hitting on an engaged woman who seemed to like it!
Original post by TenOfThem
Yeah, friendly - no leading on

Yeah but then would a friendly person (who is engaged) hug me upon seeing me first time, put her arm around waist level? Would she not tell you she is engaged?
Reply 14
Maybe she was just bring friendly, maybe she was just trying to get your attention because she liked it? You can never tell with women and there's no point even bothering to decipher her signals, even she probably wouldn't know if you asked her!

Just move on to the next beautiful chick, keep her as a friend, you might meet your future wife through her!!
Original post by Black Cat

She suggested the meet up for coffee and also kept smiling at me and giving me eye contact etc. Also if being friendly, wouldn't or shouldn't she have mentioned she is engaged?

That's what my other friends do at least!
You're that backup boyfriend that guy was banging on about earlier
Haha true true. Tbh I thought this girl could be the one, she is unbelievably beautiful. Everybody turns their head. And no other guy at the analyst level appears to have her number?!

Somehow she gave hers to mine, though only responded to text thrice and now seems to be ignoring.

I just feel it would have been better on her part to mention engagement!! I feel embarassed and bad as if I have done something wrong. I mean, (without knowing), I have been hitting on an engaged women for months!

I'm worried about the next chick I meet, is she already married lol, am I meant to ask that? I mean this girl didn't wear a ring!!
Yeah but then would a friendly person (who is engaged) hug me upon seeing me first time, put her arm around waist level? Would she not tell you she is engaged?

Why wouldn't she hug you?

I though the engagement party was now -so she won't engaged

If it were some time ago then perhaps she thought you knew or perhaps she just does not feel the need to tell everyone
What?

So this girl who is engaged, keeps flirting with me in the corridor to keep as a backup boyfriend?

I'm not hitting on her anymore, nor going to talk to her! I think it's wrong to have been dishonest like that. I mean, from my flirting, it's obvious that I was not being platonically friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending