The Student Room Group

ABB vs AAB - bit of help please

After leaving college 3 years ago with BB at A-level, when I didn't have the drive or direction necessary. I've enrolled in a distance learning philosophy course with NEC, 1 year for a whole A-level, so I can get ABB and get into a good uni.

However, I'm wondering whether I should retake the A2 module of one of my B grades so I can hopefully get AAB. I've got a couple of questions.

Is the difference between ABB and AAB worth it?

Will doing an entire A-level plus an A2 module in one year be too much?

I'm planning on doing philosophy with film or psychology at uni if that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So you have 3 A levels now? Philosophy through distant learning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only got two Bs at the moment, but I'm doing an A-level in Philosophy which I'm aiming to get an A in, I'm just wondering if I should re-do one of the Bs and try for an A so I can hopefully get AAB instead of ABB.
Yes definitely:smile: if you've got the drive and tenacity go for the best! Better grades=better uni even if you're resitting /"gap year"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing it through a fast track A level course & is it online/distance learning? Because I'm thinking of doing that with A2 psychology which I flopped :frown: but I'm aiming better this time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
Are you doing it through a fast track A level course & is it online/distance learning? Because I'm thinking of doing that with A2 psychology which I flopped :frown: but I'm aiming better this time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing it through NEC which is distance learning and it's technically not a fast track course according to them, their fast tracks courses are more expensive and are for people doing what I'm doing but starting after November.

So I'm starting one A-level from scratch in a year and I'm really tempted to do redo my A2 English Language and get an A, I'll chat with them on Monday and depending on how it goes, I'll probably do an A2 English Language course on top of the AS/A2 Philosophy course.
Reply 6
You're in the exact same position as me. (Except I didn't leave college 3 years ago and I'm doing it at a sixth form not through distance learning) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by East of Eden
After leaving college 3 years ago with BB at A-level, when I didn't have the drive or direction necessary. I've enrolled in a distance learning philosophy course with NEC, 1 year for a whole A-level, so I can get ABB and get into a good uni.

However, I'm wondering whether I should retake the A2 module of one of my B grades so I can hopefully get AAB. I've got a couple of questions.

Is the difference between ABB and AAB worth it?

Will doing an entire A-level plus an A2 module in one year be too much?

I'm planning on doing philosophy with film or psychology at uni if that helps.

Is it possible to resit a module from an A Level that you sat three years ago????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm doing it through NEC which is distance learning and it's technically not a fast track course according to them, their fast tracks courses are more expensive and are for people doing what I'm doing but starting after November.

So I'm starting one A-level from scratch in a year and I'm really tempted to do redo my A2 English Language and get an A, I'll chat with them on Monday and depending on how it goes, I'll probably do an A2 English Language course on top of the AS/A2 Philosophy course.

Is there any reason you can't just self-teach the English Language unit and sit the exam at your old school, in exchange for the entrance fee (of about £20 or something)? I sat AS and A2 Maths at my old school, 7 years after leaving, that way.

NEC is expensive. Don't do anything through them that you could have done on your own. You're self-teaching, after all, and all you'll get from them is a folder of stuff you would have known already from downloading the specification and buying a textbook or two. I signed up for AS Biology through them and never bothered going through with it, but I would have needed to go through someone because of the practical. Expensive mistake.
Original post by Ronove
Is there any reason you can't just self-teach the English Language unit and sit the exam at your old school, in exchange for the entrance fee (of about £20 or something)? I sat AS and A2 Maths at my old school, 7 years after leaving, that way.

NEC is expensive. Don't do anything through them that you could have done on your own. You're self-teaching, after all, and all you'll get from them is a folder of stuff you would have known already from downloading the specification and buying a textbook or two. I signed up for AS Biology through them and never bothered going through with it, but I would have needed to go through someone because of the practical. Expensive mistake.

So do the complete philosophy a-level through NEC but do the A2 english language module myself? If it's the same syllabus, I'll probably do that.
Original post by WhyMedicine?
Is it possible to resit a module from an A Level that you sat three years ago????

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on doing that AS WELL as doing a new A-level.
Reply 11
So do the complete philosophy a-level through NEC but do the A2 english language module myself? If it's the same syllabus, I'll probably do that.

Well, I personally would self-teach Philosophy as well these days, but then I've already been to uni and self-taught various things so I'm not in the least intimidated by that prospect and think I would get a good grade (and would probably pay a tutor for one or two sessions to check I was on the right track, much cheaper than paying NEC for the whole qualification).

If the specification has changed then I don't think you'll be able to resit the unit and have it fit with the other units at all anyway, regardless of whether you do it on your own or through NEC. So basically - find out whether it's possible first (some of the teachers on here probably know that kind of detail, I think there's at least one very helpful English teacher). I really, really think it'd be a waste of money to pay anything to NEC to resit a unit you got teaching for, studied for and sat already. You should have a really good idea of what you need to do to improve already. If not, pay a tutor for a session or two. So much cheaper, and so much more useful. You won't get that kind of help from NEC.
I'm planning on doing that AS WELL as doing a new A-level.

Im kinda confused. What I'm trying to say is, can you resit one module from an A Level that you sat all the modules for three years ago?
Original post by Ronove
Well, I personally would self-teach Philosophy as well these days, but then I've already been to uni and self-taught various things so I'm not in the least intimidated by that prospect and think I would get a good grade (and would probably pay a tutor for one or two sessions to check I was on the right track, much cheaper than paying NEC for the whole qualification).

If the specification has changed then I don't think you'll be able to resit the unit and have it fit with the other units at all anyway, regardless of whether you do it on your own or through NEC. So basically - find out whether it's possible first (some of the teachers on here probably know that kind of detail, I think there's at least one very helpful English teacher). I really, really think it'd be a waste of money to pay anything to NEC to resit a unit you got teaching for, studied for and sat already. You should have a really good idea of what you need to do to improve already. If not, pay a tutor for a session or two. So much cheaper, and so much more useful. You won't get that kind of help from NEC.

I've already applied for the NEC philosophy course and being honest, I don't mind paying if it means I'm on the right track, I don't need the worry of being unsure if I'm doing the right things or not.

I'll need to dig up my a-level certificates and I'll check if the eng lang syllabus is the same. You're right that I should have a good idea already, but I was barely 'there' at the time when I was doing it, so it's not a simple re-jog, I'll need to pretty much re-learn it. I'll nose around on here and decide what to do though.
Original post by WhyMedicine?
Im kinda confused. What I'm trying to say is, can you resit one module from an A Level that you sat all the modules for three years ago?

Depends if the syllabus is the same, if it is, yes you can. If the English language syllabus is the still the same, then I'll be able to re-do my A2. If it's different, then I'm ****ed and I'd have to do it from scratch.

Same with English !!! But I did well in exams and flopped the coursework! ! That's what I'm going to retake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same with English !!! But I did well in exams and flopped the coursework! ! That's what I'm going to retake

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to re-do the coursework as well... Are you doing English language, not literature? Which exam board are you on? :smile:
Original post by sophiejaz
I want to re-do the coursework as well... Are you doing English language, not literature? Which exam board are you on? :smile:

AQA A and English language! It's actually not even that hard! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA A and English language! It's actually not even that hard! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel English Language. I wish I was on AQA as most sixth forms/colleges are on that exam board, I literally don't think I can find any centre where I can resit the coursework. :confused: I don't understand how it works, does it have to be a centre that's local to you where you enter yourself or can it be in another part of England?
Original post by sophiejaz
Edexcel English Language. I wish I was on AQA as most sixth forms/colleges are on that exam board, I literally don't think I can find any centre where I can resit the coursework. :confused: I don't understand how it works, does it have to be a centre that's local to you where you enter yourself or can it be in another part of England?

I'm from around London but ...3a tutors ring them up it's easier allow you to retake your coursework! Nonetheless, on the down side it's bloody £150 :/ ..but I'm sitting quite a few exams at a school as an external candidate and they obviously want to make more cash out of me and have offered the coursework redo for £60
[URng]Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest