The Student Room Group

Keeping well at uni

Hi everyone,

I've written a series of articles on keeping well at uni! Here they are.

Three secrets to get your head around starting uni

Three ways to find your feet after freshers

Three ways to help you feel at home three weeks into uni

In my spare time I practise as a qualified hypnotherapist and psychotherapist, based on some of the threads in this forum and my passion for supporting the well-being of students I wanted to write some helpful guidance :h:

The next article will be published next week, but if you have any questions for me in the meantime about settling into uni please post them here.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You're awesome. I have finished uni but you're really helpful
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
You're awesome. I have finished uni but you're really helpful

Awww, thank you, I'm really touched by your post.

Congratulations on finishing uni! What's your plan now?
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra
Hi everyone,

I'm writing a series of articles on keeping well at uni! This is the first of a three-parter.

Three secrets to get your head around starting uni

In my spare time I practise as a qualified hypnotherapist and psychotherapist, based on some of the threads in this forum and my passion for supporting the well-being of students I wanted to write some helpful guidance :h:

The next article will be published next week, but if you have any questions for me in the meantime about settling into uni please post them here.

:smile:

This has been really helpful!
Original post by errrr...
This has been really helpful!

I'm really glad :h:

I'm writing the second part at the moment. Are you at university?
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
I'm really glad :h:

I'm writing the second part at the moment. Are you at university?

Nope, starting next year hopefully
Nope, starting next year hopefully

Fantastic, so you're writing your personal statement/ researching your choices at the moment?
Reply 8
She-Ra how do people manage to go clubbing until 2-3am and then get up of work/lectures the next day like they're fine, why do they always tell people to 'man up' when they say they want/need an early night for work the next day?
Original post by Riku
She-Ra how do people manage to go clubbing until 2-3am and then get up of work/lectures the next day like they're fine, why do they always tell people to 'man up' when they say they want/need an early night for work the next day?

The alchohol helps me to get up earlier also you just nap during the day when you have no lectures :wink:.
Reply 10
Original post by Dilzo999
The alchohol helps me to get up earlier also you just nap during the day when you have no lectures :wink:.

historically I cannot nap haha
Original post by Riku

Hey Riku :smile:

Some people just seem to have the ability to be able to do it! It also depends on how much they've had to drink and what they've been drinking :wink:

My hangover cure approach is generally "pretend I don't have one" and get on with the day :bigsmile: starting my day with fresh warm lemon water and then eating healthy grub and drinking plenty of water.

I think it's about knowing your body and what it needs to stay well. If you know you're not going to be able to get up after a big night out don't do it or head on out but try and have an earlier finish, or just cut down on any alcohol i.e. stop drinking before midnight and sip on water. This will put you in good stead for the next day.

always tell people to 'man up' when they say they want/need an early night for work the next day

Mmmm I know this "type" well! Sometimes this can be a bit of friendly banter, other times it feels like horrid peer pressure. Stick to your guns, explain that you have a big day ahead of you and organise a night out with them when you know you have a quiet day the following day. Honesty is the best policy and there are bound to be others that feel similar to you, who may want to grab an early night and crack on the next day.

Does this help?

Original post by Dilzo999

Having a little nap in the middle of the day is such a treat :moon:
Reply 12
Original post by She-Ra
Hey Riku :smile:

Some people just seem to have the ability to be able to do it! It also depends on how much they've had to drink and what they've been drinking :wink:

My hangover cure approach is generally "pretend I don't have one" and get on with the day :bigsmile: starting my day with fresh warm lemon water and then eating healthy grub and drinking plenty of water.

I think it's about knowing your body and what it needs to stay well. If you know you're not going to be able to get up after a big night out don't do it or head on out but try and have an earlier finish, or just cut down on any alcohol i.e. stop drinking before midnight and sip on water. This will put you in good stead for the next day.

Mmmm I know this "type" well! Sometimes this can be a bit of friendly banter, other times it feels like horrid peer pressure. Stick to your guns, explain that you have a big day ahead of you and organise a night out with them when you know you have a quiet day the following day. Honesty is the best policy and there are bound to be others that feel similar to you, who may want to grab an early night and crack on the next day.

Does this help?

Having a little nap in the middle of the day is such a treat :moon:

Yes it does thank you :smile: and I will do my utmost for you and Moonkatt not to repeat these thread questions , it just seems to be taking a while to stick into my head :tongue:
Reply 13
What's the maximum volume of alcohol I can drink in one 24 hour period?
yeah, eat well, don't stay up late (apart from when out clubbing), and exercise plenty. simple, really.
Original post by futbol
What's the maximum volume of alcohol I can drink in one 24 hour period?

The NHS recommends:

Men should not regularly drink more than 3-4 units of alcohol a day

Women should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units a day

If you've had a heavy drinking session, avoid alcohol for 48 hours

"Regularly" means drinking this amount every day or most days of the week.

Everyone has different levels of tolerance and again different types of alcohol can affect everyone in an array of ways.
Original post by She-Ra
Fantastic, so you're writing your personal statement/ researching your choices at the moment?

Yeah, that's right :smile:
Yeah, that's right :smile:

Well best of luck with it :smile: :crossedf: for you :biggrin:
Hello everyone,

Hope you've had a super week!?

Here is part 2:

Three ways to find your feet after freshers

Hope you guys find it helpful :h:

Catch up next week!
Original post by She-Ra
Well best of luck with it :smile: :crossedf: for you :biggrin: