The Student Room Group

help with art portfolio

if i want to take art for a-levels, im going to have to make an art portfolio as i hadn't taken an art subject for gcse :/

i don't know where to start. my teachers at school aren't helping me.

could you maybe give me suggestions/ideas on what to include in an art portfolio? it would mean a lot! thank you
Reply 1
Original post by fhlux
if i want to take art for a-levels, im going to have to make an art portfolio as i hadn't taken an art subject for gcse :/

could you maybe give me suggestions/ideas on what to include in an art portfolio? it would mean a lot! thank you

What kind of art medium do you do? Or are more interested in?
Original post by fhlux

I didn't do art at GCSE so the teachers were a bit iffy about me wanting to do it for Alevel.

I just showed them this drawing + a few others and they let me in. If you can do a realism it tends to just open doors everywhere tbh. At all the unis I went to the interviewers were impressed as well (not by this. I had other stuff by then).

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jaz_A
What kind of art medium do you do? Or are more interested in?

any! but mostly in graphics but the college im going to doesn't offer that subject, only 'art' which apparently covers all types of art...
Reply 4
Original post by ChickenMadness
I didn't do art at GCSE so the teachers were a bit iffy about me wanting to do it for Alevel.

I just showed them this drawing + a few others and they let me in. If you can do a realism it tends to just open doors everywhere tbh. At all the unis I went to the interviewers were impressed as well (not by this. I had other stuff by then).

thankyou! and did you only do pencil drawings or use a variety of techniques on your other drawings?
Reply 5
Original post by fhlux
any! but mostly in graphics but the college im going to doesn't offer that subject, only 'art' which apparently covers all types of art...

Ahh I see, I'm not sure then. For GCSE art we studied lots of traditional art, doing surrealism and African themes. Doing a project study on an art subject/artist will probably help.
Reply 6
Original post by Jaz_A
Ahh I see, I'm not sure then. For GCSE art we studied lots of traditional art, doing surrealism and African themes. Doing a project study on an art subject/artist will probably help.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably just do that then :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by fhlux
Thanks for the help! I'll probably just do that then :smile:

Welcome, I hope it helps :smile: (try deviantart.com for inspiration, if you don't already)
Original post by fhlux
thankyou! and did you only do pencil drawings or use a variety of techniques on your other drawings?

I only did pencil drawings (before Alevel).

I also did a bunch of digital portraits but the teachers were old and didn't know anything about photoshop lmao.
Reply 9
Original post by ChickenMadness
I only did pencil drawings (before Alevel).

I also did a bunch of digital portraits but the teachers were old and didn't know anything about photoshop lmao.

aha okay thank you for your help

Quick Reply

Latest