The Student Room Group

Extra-curricular activities to boost Cambridge chances

Hey! I'm currently in my first year of A-levels taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths (I will complete both Maths AS and A2 this year). I was wondering what additional activities, study and/or work-experience would be beneficial for when I come to apply for uni next year, and what extra 'stuff' any of you guys did. My aim is to apply for Physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge; I am already into electronics (Arduino), and have read several physics-based books so far (Brian Cox, Richard Feynman, etc.). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :smile:
Original post by Frenchy10
Hey! I'm currently in my first year of A-levels taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths (I will complete both Maths AS and A2 this year). I was wondering what additional activities, study and/or work-experience would be beneficial for when I come to apply for uni next year, and what extra 'stuff' any of you guys did. My aim is to apply for Physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge; I am already into electronics (Arduino), and have read several physics-based books so far (Brian Cox, Richard Feynman, etc.). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :smile:

Anything that demonstrates your ability or enthusiasm for your subject. Reading around the subject is great (I don't think Brian Cox will be viewed as particularly sophisticated but Cambridge definitely have reading lists you can look at) and if you're in a city, there will definitely be lectures you can attend that will also look good. Look out for summer schools - the EDT runs Headstart summer schools that are really great (including ones on electronics) so have a look at that, and Oxford runs some brilliant summer schools called UNIQ. If the work experience is relevant and helpful then sure, do that, but don't do it just for the sake of doing work experience - administrative work isn't going to add anything to your application. Taking part in things like the Maths Challenge, Oxford's AS Physics Challenge and the Chemistry Olympiad are all good, particularly if you get silvers or golds.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Anything that demonstrates your ability or enthusiasm for your subject. Reading around the subject is great (I don't think Brian Cox will be viewed as particularly sophisticated but Cambridge definitely have reading lists you can look at) and if you're in a city, there will definitely be lectures you can attend that will also look good. Look out for summer schools - the EDT runs Headstart summer schools that are really great (including ones on electronics) so have a look at that, and Oxford runs some brilliant summer schools called UNIQ. If the work experience is relevant and helpful then sure, do that, but don't do it just for the sake of doing work experience - administrative work isn't going to add anything to your application. Taking part in things like the Maths Challenge, Oxford's AS Physics Challenge and the Chemistry Olympiad are all good, particularly if you get silvers or golds.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm guessing the EDT Headstart summer schools would be similar to the Cambridge Masterclasses? I have more of Feynman's books on my to-buy list, and I'll hopefully be able to get some work experience at (or at least visit) a local tech firm which produces sesmic-monitoring equipment of some sort. As for lectures, I live in the middle of nowhere, but would watching TED lecture videos be an alternative? I'll definitely look into the various challenges that you mentioned too! Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Frenchy10
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm guessing the EDT Headstart summer schools would be similar to the Cambridge Masterclasses? I have more of Feynman's books on my to-buy list, and I'll hopefully be able to get some work experience at (or at least visit) a local tech firm which produces sesmic-monitoring equipment of some sort. As for lectures, I live in the middle of nowhere, but would watching TED lecture videos be an alternative? I'll definitely look into the various challenges that you mentioned too! Thank you :biggrin:

I've not been to a Cambridge Masterclass but from what I know, the master classes are just a day long event to inform you about certain courses. The Headstart courses are 5 days and residential and, from my experience doing the Materials Science headstart course at Cambridge, we did some really awesome stuff.

TED talks are always great and definitely keep watching them if you're interested; I'm not sure how much they'll help you with your application. TED reveals lots of really fascinating applications and ideas and obviously if there's something that really particularly inspires you definitely mention it, but I think the kind of talks they give at places like the Geological Society or Royal Society of Chemistry would be more useful. Obviously though, that's not really an option if you live in the middle of nowhere. You definitely don't need to have lectures on your PS list, it's just another thing.

Basically, you'll be best off if you do things because they look interesting rather than doing things for the sake of your personal statement. All the tutors want is proof of a passion for that subject - it'll be a lot more authentic (and fun for you) if you do things just because they look cool than because it'll look good on paper.

Quick Reply

Latest