The Student Room Group

A Level choices for a physics degree - Further Maths necessary?

So I do physics, chemistry, maths, history at AS, and I really do want to do physics at a degree level. I've had a lot of pushing towards further maths, but I think it's far too late for me drop a subject and take on another. Plus my deputy head teacher in charge of time table-ing kind of death-stares me.

I actually enjoy chem. I would've done Further Maths, but D1 makes me want to shoot myself in the foot.

My main concern is whether or not my application will be frowned upon (thinking of Oxbridge because I'm somewhat optimistic) because I don't do further maths. I know it's desirable, but to what extent am I disadvantaged for not doing further maths?

I can self-teach myself FP1, should it be necessary. I want to go into particle physics + cosmology/ theoretical physics, so I think chem seems more ideal than further maths, especially since you learn new maths skill during the course of the degree.

Thoughts and advice, please?
Further Maths isn't compulsory, but it would be advantageous. I'm not entirely sure why you seem to think that Chemistry is more useful than Further Maths for particle physics, cosmology and theoretical physics since those fields are effectively applied mathematics. I think you might be underestimating how much maths there is in physics. Particularly if you're applying to top places like Oxbridge, you'll be spending most of your time doing maths. So Further Maths isn't required and you probably won't jeopardise your application by not doing it, but it would definitely be useful.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Further Maths isn't compulsory, but it would be advantageous. I'm not entirely sure why you seem to think that Chemistry is more useful than Further Maths for particle physics, cosmology and theoretical physics since those fields are effectively applied mathematics. I think you might be underestimating how much maths there is in physics. Particularly if you're applying to top places like Oxbridge, you'll be spending most of your time doing maths. So Further Maths isn't required and you probably won't jeopardise your application by not doing it, but it would definitely be useful.

LOL I know there's a lot of maths in physics. I love maths, but I also love chem, and doing 4 sciences at A Levels just didn't seem right. I wanted a balance, so I chose history. I'll most likely do M1 at maths, if I nag my maths teacher successfully. I view chem as helpful since we look at orbitals, and so forth. To quote a physics professor I met - "Chemistry is a brother of physics" so it seemed apt. Plus D1's terribly boring.
Can you not do STEP? A good score on that would probably level the playing field with candidates who have Further Maths I'm sure?
Original post by Halimaliba
So I do physics, chemistry, maths, history at AS, and I really do want to do physics at a degree level. I've had a lot of pushing towards further maths, but I think it's far too late for me drop a subject and take on another. Plus my deputy head teacher in charge of time table-ing kind of death-stares me.

I actually enjoy chem. I would've done Further Maths, but D1 makes me want to shoot myself in the foot.

My main concern is whether or not my application will be frowned upon (thinking of Oxbridge because I'm somewhat optimistic) because I don't do further maths. I know it's desirable, but to what extent am I disadvantaged for not doing further maths?

I can self-teach myself FP1, should it be necessary. I want to go into particle physics + cosmology/ theoretical physics, so I think chem seems more ideal than further maths, especially since you learn new maths skill during the course of the degree.

Thoughts and advice, please?

Have you considered doing Further Maths AS next year?

Also, I don't get the relation between you hating D1 and not wanting to do FM. Is it compulsory in your school?
Reply 5
Original post by ThatPerson
Have you considered doing Further Maths AS next year?

Also, I don't get the relation between you hating D1 and not wanting to do FM. Is it compulsory in your school?

It's not that I don't want to do FM, I just prefer chem since I find it more scientific in terms of its content. I could take FM as an AS next year, though my school will strongly advise me not to, but have negotiated that I can do M1 as a standalone maths unit, should I need it.

As for D1, I just don't like computing and its algorithms.
Reply 6
Original post by Alex347_
Can you not do STEP? A good score on that would probably level the playing field with candidates who have Further Maths I'm sure?

Yup, I can do STEP, though I'm considering PAT instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending