The Student Room Group

Mental health nursing applicants 2015?

Is there any applicants on here hoping to go onto mental health nursing at university in 2015?
what are you currently studying and where are your 5 choices?
Im studying Health studies currently and my 5 choices are Sheffield hallam, Leeds university, Huddersfield, Manchester and York!

Scroll to see replies

I am:smile: I m currently doing the second year of a foundation degree in health and social care( basically the first two years of a uni course, so i m well prepared in the work sense).

My choices are UClan , uni of cumbria(their lancaster campus) and edge hill.
I m currently trying to decide my 4th and 5th choices as any uni after those are getting towards 20-30 miles away which makes it a long commute.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I am:smile: I m currently doing the second year of a foundation degree in health and social care( basically the first two years of a uni course, so i m well prepared in the work sense).

My choices are UClan , uni of cumbria(their lancaster campus) and edge hill.
I m currently trying to decide my 4th and 5th choices as any uni after those are getting towards 20-30 miles away which makes it a long commute.

awesome! I'm so excited to get started but I'm just praying I get a place! I have experience and will hopefully have a good end grade so hopefully I will. Ive read a lot of people say that they have little or no experience with nursing/mental health nursing do you think they will get a place?
The experience is a plus, some of the place where i m applying to say that they look for people with it but if you can prove that you know what to expect on placement then their happy to consider you, so you should get a place with having experience already
I have to do placements as part of my course so did a month with service users with schzophernia which I really enjoyed so hoping i could talk about that in any interviews. Have you done your ucas yet? I m almost done just hoping my personal tutor does me a good reference:smile:
Reply 4
The experience is a plus, some of the place where i m applying to say that they look for people with it but if you can prove that you know what to expect on placement then their happy to consider you, so you should get a place with having experience already
I have to do placements as part of my course so did a month with service users with schzophernia which I really enjoyed so hoping i could talk about that in any interviews. Have you done your ucas yet? I m almost done just hoping my personal tutor does me a good reference:smile:

thats sounds amazing! ive done a few hospital placements through my college but I'm a a volunteer on my local A&E which is amazing, I join the crisis teams in meetings with people who have been brought in under the mental health act and im just so fascinated! yes ive finished my ucas just need to have my personal statement draft checked and then im ready to send! i just cant wait to go now
Original post by localmilk
thats sounds amazing! ive done a few hospital placements through my college but I'm a a volunteer on my local A&E which is amazing, I join the crisis teams in meetings with people who have been brought in under the mental health act and im just so fascinated! yes ive finished my ucas just need to have my personal statement draft checked and then im ready to send! i just cant wait to go now

Sounds like you have plenty of experience:smile:I wanted to go to my local hospital but they dont have any places. I ve start in on a couple of recovery team meetings and found them incredibly interesting, I would love to see what meetings happened to get to that point
Reply 6
I am!

I'm currently doing a degree in Geography and Spanish. Hoping to apply for Uni of York, Uni of Leeds, UWE, Salford and either Queens Belfast or Ulster. I wanted to apply to Manchester but I don't have an A Level science so I can't :frown:(

I don't have much (any) experience though which I'm really panicking about! I'm hoping to get a 2 day work experience placement at the day patient centre of my local psychiatric hospital at Halloween, and I have voluntary work that's not directly relevant but the skills are transferrable (working with the homeless, taking part in a scheme that involved befriending a child from a special needs school, tutoring a child and then street collections/bag packs/helping at events for Maire Curie etc) and then I'm a member of/hoping to get involved in the admin side of my uni's mental health society)
I was hoping do get other, more relevant voluntary work but haven't heard back from them yet and I'm looking for other things I could try and fit in around final year uni work and travelling home for doctors appointments etc.
I have ~personal experience (at both an outpatient and inpatient level) so I'm debating whether or not to mention that, because obviously I'll have to spin in positively and be careful how I word it etc, and in general I'm hugely passionate about mental health and have done a lot of extra reading so I'm hoping that will come across in my PS/interviews (if I get any!!)

Though, for the uni's I'm looking at none of them specify that they prefer/require experience so I'm hoping I won't be at too much of a disadvantage!
Original post by falling
I am!

I'm currently doing a degree in Geography and Spanish. Hoping to apply for Uni of York, Uni of Leeds, UWE, Salford and either Queens Belfast or Ulster. I wanted to apply to Manchester but I don't have an A Level science so I can't :frown:(

I don't have much (any) experience though which I'm really panicking about! I'm hoping to get a 2 day work experience placement at the day patient centre of my local psychiatric hospital at Halloween, and I have voluntary work that's not directly relevant but the skills are transferrable (working with the homeless, taking part in a scheme that involved befriending a child from a special needs school, tutoring a child and then street collections/bag packs/helping at events for Maire Curie etc) and then I'm a member of/hoping to get involved in the admin side of my uni's mental health society)
I was hoping do get other, more relevant voluntary work but haven't heard back from them yet and I'm looking for other things I could try and fit in around final year uni work and travelling home for doctors appointments etc.
I have ~personal experience (at both an outpatient and inpatient level) so I'm debating whether or not to mention that, because obviously I'll have to spin in positively and be careful how I word it etc, and in general I'm hugely passionate about mental health and have done a lot of extra reading so I'm hoping that will come across in my PS/interviews (if I get any!!)

Though, for the uni's I'm looking at none of them specify that they prefer/require experience so I'm hoping I won't be at too much of a disadvantage!

I seriously doubt you ll be at a disadvantage with all the voluntary experience you have, all that experience shows you are clearly empathic and dedicated so i m sure that you will do great with your application and the fact your in the last year of your degree certainly proves that you can handle the workload:smile: Admissions at uclan told me to mention about your transferable skills in a personal statement and you must have plenty from your volunteering:smile: I d count befriending someone with special needs as something relating to mental health anyway

i ve not put anything of my personal experiences in but if you can put a positive spin on it then it could be something good to include.
I thought about manchester too but they want a distinction in my foundation degree which basically means getting equivalent to a first in my second year which isn't really achievable for me.
Me :smile:

I am applying as a mature student. I actually have an Arts degree already, but after working as a support worker for people with addiction issues, I really got into MH.

I have applied to University of Ulster, Queens University (top picks as I'm from N.Ireland) Edge Hill, John Moore's (have an interview in November) and Cardiff!
Original post by Fairytale.Girl
Me :smile:

I am applying as a mature student. I actually have an Arts degree already, but after working as a support worker for people with addiction issues, I really got into MH.

I have applied to University of Ulster, Queens University (top picks as I'm from N.Ireland) Edge Hill, John Moore's (have an interview in November) and Cardiff!

I m a fellow edge hill and jmu applicant:smile: when did you get your ucas in? I m hoping to have mine in in the next week or so, hoping i m be lucky and not have a long wait to hear about interviews
I am currently studying my A-Levels and will be finishing them this year and planning on applying for mental health nursing because I find it so interesting. I'm wanting to speak to anyone who has or is studying the course to see if you enjoy it or not? I know its the right course for me but I would like information from someone who actually knows about the course.
I m a fellow edge hill and jmu applicant:smile: when did you get your ucas in? I m hoping to have mine in in the next week or so, hoping i m be lucky and not have a long wait to hear about interviews

I sent mine on the 9th i think! Heard from LJMU pretty quickly. My interview was originally 22nd October(!) but I had to get it rearranged as two weeks notice was too short with work/flights etc so now its 14th November! Id say if you get it in soon you might be offered the Nov date!
I'm applying as a mature student too! After doing a degree in maths and then some postgrad study. I've been working on a rehab mental health unit and absolutely love it! Some of the nurses talked me into applying for my nurse training this year rather than waiting a few more years. I'm dead excited to start my training - but since I started doing my research I've been getting more and more nervous - especially after reading Which? Uni!

I'm applying for Northumbria (it's my home uni) and I would quite like to apply to Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Manchester... and somewhere else I'm not sure of yet!

I'd be interested to see what people think of those uni's as I don't know a great deal. Has anyone heard anything about the MSc for pre-registration that Leeds offer - I thought it sounded quite a good option!
Reply 13
Original post by CosmicJay
I'm applying as a mature student too! After doing a degree in maths and then some postgrad study. I've been working on a rehab mental health unit and absolutely love it! Some of the nurses talked me into applying for my nurse training this year rather than waiting a few more years. I'm dead excited to start my training - but since I started doing my research I've been getting more and more nervous - especially after reading Which? Uni!

I'm applying for Northumbria (it's my home uni) and I would quite like to apply to Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Manchester... and somewhere else I'm not sure of yet!

I'd be interested to see what people think of those uni's as I don't know a great deal. Has anyone heard anything about the MSc for pre-registration that Leeds offer - I thought it sounded quite a good option!

sounds awesome! I went to visit the university of Leeds on Saturday and it was lovely! Campus was beautiful and the course sounded brilliant, the course tutors were very supportive and great for advice, it had amazing clinical suites! Leeds uni is my second choice :smile:
Original post by localmilk
sounds awesome! I went to visit the university of Leeds on Saturday and it was lovely! Campus was beautiful and the course sounded brilliant, the course tutors were very supportive and great for advice, it had amazing clinical suites! Leeds uni is my second choice :smile:

OMG you were at the open day on Saturday? So was I! I really really like the university of Leeds - I've applied there twice in the past (for none nursing courses lol) and would love to study there.

I wasn't sure what to think of the course though - what did you think?

I'm a bit nervous about how low the admissions rate of people who've applied. And I was a bit off put about what they said about being research focused. I also thought the lecturers could have been a bit more communicative... You know given their mental health nurses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fairytale.Girl
I sent mine on the 9th i think! Heard from LJMU pretty quickly. My interview was originally 22nd October(!) but I had to get it rearranged as two weeks notice was too short with work/flights etc so now its 14th November! Id say if you get it in soon you might be offered the Nov date!

Just waiting on my tutors reference, hoping it wont take more than a couple of days so I can get my application in on monday:smile: I didnt expect that universities would get back to people that quickly,you ve got me feeling quite positive about maybe having an interview before Christmas now:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by CosmicJay
OMG you were at the open day on Saturday? So was I! I really really like the university of Leeds - I've applied there twice in the past (for none nursing courses lol) and would love to study there.

I wasn't sure what to think of the course though - what did you think?

I'm a bit nervous about how low the admissions rate of people who've applied. And I was a bit off put about what they said about being research focused. I also thought the lecturers could have been a bit more communicative... You know given their mental health nurses!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep the admission number is low but it's no different to any other i've looked at, most have 45ish places on the course out of roughly 800 applicants, but if you set yourself above the rest! I was left a bit confused because they had on the powerpoint presentation that they accept a C or above in Maths to get on the course, but then the lady said that they are infact wanting people with B's!
Hi there,

i am currently doing an access course in Nursing and midwifery, hopefully going to uni next year to do a nursing degree in Mental Health.

Stuggling a bit at the min with the assignments though.

Im finding the personal Statement pretty hard as i never know what to include for the best, any ideas?

Also applying to Salford, Edge Hill and John Moores.

Emsiej82
Reply 18
Original post by shanlouiseclegg
I am currently studying my A-Levels and will be finishing them this year and planning on applying for mental health nursing because I find it so interesting. I'm wanting to speak to anyone who has or is studying the course to see if you enjoy it or not? I know its the right course for me but I would like information from someone who actually knows about the course.

Hello.
I am a Yr2 Student Mental Health nurse, and I love the course. It can be hard work, but I kind of like that. (I like to be busy)
Is there anything specific you are wanting to know about the course?

As a side-line, I would suggest that if you don't have any experience in the field already, that you try to find some (especially if you're unsure) in order to get a vague idea of what you're getting into. (Try Mind or AgeUK)
Reply 19
Original post by Emsiej82
Hi there,

i am currently doing an access course in Nursing and midwifery, hopefully going to uni next year to do a nursing degree in Mental Health.

Stuggling a bit at the min with the assignments though.

Im finding the personal Statement pretty hard as i never know what to include for the best, any ideas?

Also applying to Salford, Edge Hill and John Moores.

Emsiej82

Hello! sounds awesome! I must admit I did around 5 drafts of my statement before I was happy with it. I spoke to the admissions tutor for mental health nursing at Leeds university and she did say that we should include the words 'Mental health nurse' as much as we can, and to write down EVERY last drop of experience you have, your job, voluntary work etc, even the little things matter as you need to set yourself above the rest! also write about your transferable skills from college/placements to university like the interpersonal skills, time management etc.
You just need to write the reasons why you would make a good mental health nurse and what skills you already have which will benefit you. there's a lot to fit in but its possible!

Quick Reply

Latest