The Student Room Group

Are you taking Physics & Chemistry at AS? How are you finding them?

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry & Physics at AS. I'd like to know if anyone else are taking these subjects... And how they are coping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am taking all three and biology and I find them to be aright
I just make sure I understand all the topics and answer questions in my free time and make good notes for chemistry and physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn, you must have a lot of work on your hands. I'm starting to struggle with Physics... Especially the mechanical side of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking all three. I'm finding Maths quite easy at the moment. Doesn't feel much different to GCSE. Chemistry is awesome; I'm understanding everything and finding it really enjoyable. Physics is alright. Didn't like it at first because I thought both my teachers were rubbish, but one of them is turning out to be okay and I'm getting the hang of it.
Original post by ishtihussain
Damn, you must have a lot of work on your hands. I'm starting to struggle with Physics... Especially the mechanical side of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With mechanics I just answer questions like crazy and make sure I know the basic concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently taking Mathematics, Chemistry, History and Gov. Politics.

Out of the three sciences, I find Chemistry (although not easy) the most 'straightforward' - I started with Physics and Biology. I found the former really confusing and the latter just required, for me, so much rote learning and memorizing! Chemistry, for me, is a nice balance - its got a bit of physics and a bit of biology.

I enjoy Mathematics the most though - it's the most 'logical' one for me. (But that said I much prefer Pure Maths to Applied generally).
Hm, Chemistry is enjoyable but it gets confusing at times. Physics is also confusing... I prefer the theory side over the practical side of Physics. Same case with me.. One of my teachers isn't too good - it's his first year of teaching AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ishtihussain
Hm, Chemistry is enjoyable but it gets confusing at times. Physics is also confusing... I prefer the theory side over the practical side of Physics. Same case with me.. One of my teachers isn't too good - it's his first year of teaching AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really unfortunate when you're given a first-time teacher (not that it's their fault!) - especially at AS level.
Chemistry is pretty easy so far and quite enjoyable! Biology is crap with all of the stuff we have to remember...
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Chemistry is pretty easy so far and quite enjoyable! Biology is crap with all of the stuff we have to remember...

Agreed.
Maths and Further maths are hella easy. The mechanics part of physics is hard but electricity is nice. Chemistry is cool but the new concepts are confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing chemistry & maths (along with biology and French)

Maths I'm finding exceptionally boring (I did further maths GCSE so I learnt nearly all the C1 & M1 stuff last year) but it's nice to refresh my memory.

Chemistry I am really enjoying. We've probably not got into the nitty gritty hard stuff yet, we're currently on redox (OCR A) but it's all really interesting and I love the calculations side of it. The practicals are good fun, especially titrations.

(And I agree with all the biology folk complaining about the amount of content...I can't believe we're only a month in with the amount that we've done!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah... I'm happy that I didn't take Biology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing a titration practical experiment next week... Looking forward to it! About Maths, I'm finding it rather boring too... But hopefully it'll pick up soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Im doing all 3 of those at A2 currently, and i did all of them + economics at AS (I managed to get AAAB with the B in Physics). Chemistry starts easy, but if you are doing OCR once you move on to the organic you may think differently, i managed to get a borderline A in it and it was by far my hardest AS and i put about half of my work into this subject alone. Maths at AS is either really easy or people just cant do it, i personally thought that maths and economics were my 2 easiest. Physics is just learning, once you get the hang of it its pretty average, A2 is a very different story though, really challenging, i got a B in AS physics (really close to an A) due to a combination of becoming complacent and a nasty unit 1 paper which brought me down. As far as A2, maths and physics see a big step up but chemistry A2 is the easiest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending