The Student Room Group

what are your favourite maths modules?

(for maths and further maths a-level).

i've only just started both a-levels and at the moment i'm doing core 1 (which is quite easy at the moment to be honest) and decision 1 for fmaths (which i really dislike). i was wondering which modules you guys find the best as i really hope it gets better :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
FP1 and M2 are quite good, those are the only ones apart from C1 I've done some of.
In all honesty, Maths at A-level can be a bit of a drag with a lot of rinse and repeat but it will all be worth it if you need Maths as a requirement for university.

Personally i enjoyed mechanics since it was more applied than core maths.
Reply 3
i loved and will always love C3 :smile:
C4 is awesome. I finished my Maths Alevel and doing further maths; FP1 and FP2 are interesting ^.^ M1 is awesome as well.
Yeah C1 is pretty straightforward. I enjoy the Pure Modules in general but, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Calculus topics (Differentiation and Integration) because, for me, those questions are easy marks!

My optional module is S1 but haven't started it yet. Not sure what to expect!
Has to be FP2 and S3 when I was learning them and C4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Core 2 is a BEAUTIFUL specification. Bar sequences.

I love the stats modules as well, because you can generally get through the papers with common sense.

Decision I do enjoy however you tend to not get many follow through marks, which causes a struggle if you write down a number wrong, however both Decision 1 and 2 tie in with the real world, and some algorithms like Dijsktra's have amazing history attached to them.

Mechanics on the other hand isn't very applicable to the real world. Most of the chapters are based on laminae and things with fixed mass and friction of infinity... It just isn't very believable.

From the further pure modules I'm only studying FP1 and FP3, so I cannot comment on any of the others, however FP3 seems to be very graphy, which is definitely not one of my favourite things, but I do find FP1 to be very enjoyable, especially the rearranging of the roots alpha and beta in various ways.

My personal ranking of best to worst of the modules that I study:
PC2, FP1, PC4, D2, S2, PC1, PC3, FP3, D1, S1, M1, M2
Reply 8
I really enjoyed C4 and S1 :biggrin: absolutely hated D1 though!
Reply 9
S3, S4 and FP3.
Reply 10
Personally, loved C1 the most. Purely because it was the first time I've done any calculus and I loved calculus to bits. FP1 has some cool stuff in it, but fairly tricky. C3 was decent. C4 I found unsatisfying and too easy (got 100 on it).
D1, love of my life
C3 is an absolute babe.

Dat June '11 exam <3
i like stats cos its precise, expectation algebra is pretty cool

mechanics just has too many assumptions imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest