The Student Room Group

Silly mistakes

Hello... Would anybody know how to stop making silly mistakes?
I've heard so many people make them and that's the main source of loss of marks.
Please may somebody help? I'd like to get 90%+ in exams- but I feel I won't if I keep making these mistakes.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathMeister
I've heard so many people make them and that's the main source of loss of marks.
Please may somebody help? I'd like to get 90%+ in exams- but I feel I won't if I keep making these mistakes.

take more care
There's no way other than to consciously make an effort to think about each step. There's no need to rush.
Even if you're confident in your final answer, always check through every small step if you have time. I used to make stupid mistakes like writing + instead of - (and still do, on occasion), so it really pays to double check your working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brain transplant?
Use a calculator to check final answers.

Like if finding angles, sub back in to original equation.

If an integral, choose two random limits and input it. Then do it with your answer and see if they match etc
Original post by Mr M
Brain transplant?

Could make things worse - depends whose brain you get.
Reply 7
Original post by ghostwalker
Could make things worse - depends whose brain you get.

Imagine you went for a brain transplant and you got the brain from one of those girls from Educating Yorkshire - one minute you'd be trying to learn definite integration; the next you'd be going around saying "I wanna be an 'airdresser; I don't need to know what 2 pi r times x is".
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Use a calculator to check final answers.

Like if finding angles, sub back in to original equation.

If an integral, choose two random limits and input it. Then do it with your answer and see if they match etc

Would you possibly know whether this calculator (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=dra_a_cs_fb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda)
is allowed in A level maths exams? I do not know whether it goes against the rules about symbolic integration, differentiation and algebra. (Edexcel)
(edited 9 years ago)
Would you possibly know whether this calculator (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=dra_a_cs_fb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda)
is allowed in A level maths exams? I do not know whether it goes against the rules about symbolic integration, differentiation and algebra. (Edexcel)

I think that's the best one to get. It's the one I use I think
I think that's the best one to get. It's the one I use I think

So it's not banned for Edexcel? If not-I may get it. So even in fp1 you can use the matrix function?
So it's not banned for Edexcel? If not-I may get it. So even in fp1 you can use the matrix function?

Yep you can use it

It isn't banned so it's a great one to have

I wish I used it for my exams
Yep you can use it

It isn't banned so it's a great one to have

I wish I used it for my exams

Do you know if there's a better calc than this one?
Do you know if there's a better calc than this one?

That one does everything from matrices to complex :smile: it's the best for what's allowed

That calculator has been asked to **** if it has been allowed.

Get a ti too.
That one does everything from matrices to complex :smile: it's the best for what's allowed

Thanks ! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
That calculator has been asked to **** if it has been allowed.

Get a ti too.

Why do people need a graphic calculator?
Why do people need a graphic calculator?

oh dear...

says in the name

inb4 valedictorians on tsr tell this valedictorian on tsr, that it isn't necessary

brb cookie

brb brbing
Thanks ever-so much! :smile:

don't mean to be rude.

Sorry if it came off like that.

i have the fx991es and the ti 84 plus c silver edition

both great calculators to have if you can afford to get the ti.

Good luck!

dont rush the papers too :smile:
Reply 19
Might I recommend the TI 84 Plus. It *is* quite expensive, but I personally thought even a few extra marks was worth it. If you do get one, learn to use it properly, as it can check/make easier 30-40% of the questions. I've not personally found a way of solving stupid mistakes. Just try to lay it out logically, take up lots of room if necessary and don't rush. Oddly, I tend to make very few mistakes on tougher questions, probably because I consider them more slowly. If you find a magic method be sure to let me know, it'd sure be useful!

Quick Reply

Latest