The Student Room Group

Is this a good course and is the career oppurtunities in the future?

I am considering studying at Kings after I finish my A levels (MTG of ABB in Business Computing and Maths respectively). I was worried about whether or not I would be able to find a good job as opposed to apprenticships which garauntee jobs (but unforunately cant find a ny good ones for computer science). Also is this course time consuming? How much free time do you get and should I take a gap year?
Original post by Khal1l
I am considering studying at Kings after I finish my A levels (MTG of ABB in Business Computing and Maths respectively). I was worried about whether or not I would be able to find a good job as opposed to apprenticships which garauntee jobs (but unforunately cant find a ny good ones for computer science). Also is this course time consuming? How much free time do you get and should I take a gap year?

I wouldn't recommend a gap year, especially when you want to do a technical (STEM) subject. Since it's probable that the majority of what you studied at A-Level will be forgotten.

Perhaps you could consider querying to Kings whether they offer a placement year, that way you gain some experience.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Binary Freak
I wouldn't recommend a gap year, especially when you want to do a technical (STEM) subject. Since it's probable that the majority of what you studied at A-Level will be forgotten.

Perhaps you could consider querying to Kings whether they offer a placement year, that way you gain some experience.:smile:

Hi thanks for replying. I want to take a gap year because I want to work to saveup money for university. I also plan on trying to do programming for the whole year to try and make life much easier for myself when I do the actual degree. I also wish to pursue a few other life targets. Is it really that bad if I take a gap year? As long as I do work e.g. programming throughout the year, hopefully that should mitigate the possibility of forgetting useful information. In other words other than forgetting stuff, is their any other major disadvantages?
Original post by Khal1l
Hi thanks for replying. I want to take a gap year because I want to work to saveup money for university. I also plan on trying to do programming for the whole year to try and make life much easier for myself when I do the actual degree. I also wish to pursue a few other life targets. Is it really that bad if I take a gap year? As long as I do work e.g. programming throughout the year, hopefully that should mitigate the possibility of forgetting useful information. In other words other than forgetting stuff, is their any other major disadvantages?

Should be fine if you're able to get a job. In fact, it'll probably work out better if you can :smile:
I personally don't like Kings' computer science course, too little maths involved. Reminds me more of a software engineering degree rather than comp sci.
Reply 5
Original post by ImNormal
I personally don't like Kings' computer science course, too little maths involved. Reminds me more of a software engineering degree rather than comp sci.

Seems like a shame because Im really good at maths... But I dont like doing it that much. Nevertheless at the end of the day its still a comp sci degree at a very reputable uni.
Original post by Khal1l
Seems like a shame because Im really good at maths... But I dont like doing it that much. Nevertheless at the end of the day its still a comp sci degree at a very reputable uni.

Yeah, I really enjoy it so that's why I'm looking for a particular course. And as for your last bit, don't pick a course just because it's at a reputable uni, pick a course based on what you want to learn about and study. If you don't want much maths and want the more practical side, then yes, Kings is good. But if, like me, you want a lot of discrete maths then I'd consider looking elsewhere.
Reply 7
Original post by ImNormal
Yeah, I really enjoy it so that's why I'm looking for a particular course. And as for your last bit, don't pick a course just because it's at a reputable uni, pick a course based on what you want to learn about and study. If you don't want much maths and want the more practical side, then yes, Kings is good. But if, like me, you want a lot of discrete maths then I'd consider looking elsewhere.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of doing and not doing deep into discrete maths? Thanks for the help BTW

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending