The Student Room Group

Going too fast with English Literature A level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I don't spend any time on skills. (Perhaps I'm not a good teacher.) I get stuck in and they learn as we go along. Every teacher does things differently. There's a lot to cover and you are expected to be independent learners. What is the play for? Coursework? Wider reading? For the exam? If the first, you'll be spending some more time writing on it. If the second, that's quite enough time. If it's the third, you'll be revisiting it as revision. If this is about your not feeling confident about the text, you should have this conversation with the teacher.

Ours is for the play Hullaballoo in the Guava Orchard.
How would you advise a student to prepare for their coursework and essay writing in general? My school fails to prepare their students for their coursework. I am currently studying two plays and feel as if I am not ready or well prepared with knowledge on both texts. I am beginning to panic as most of my friends have made good notes, are practicing writing essays. I am not sure at all how to make my essay an A piece or structure it even...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
Ours is for the play Hullaballoo in the Guava Orchard.
How would you advise a student to prepare for their coursework and essay writing in general? My school fails to prepare their students for their coursework. I am currently studying two plays and feel as if I am not ready or well prepared with knowledge on both texts. I am beginning to panic as most of my friends have made good notes, are practicing writing essays. I am not sure at all how to make my essay an A piece or structure it even...

Planning the route through is everything. Plan, plan and plan again. Make sure you cover the crucial aspects: form, structure, language. Have different possible interpretations of a passage and argue which side you think is more plausible. Use quotations carefully - zoom in on them as if they are under a microscope. The question is always not 'What?' but 'How?'

I've never heard of the play you mention.
Reply 22
Planning the route through is everything. Plan, plan and plan again. Make sure you cover the crucial aspects: form, structure, language. Have different possible interpretations of a passage and argue which side you think is more plausible. Use quotations carefully - zoom in on them as if they are under a microscope. The question is always not 'What?' but 'How?'

I've never heard of the play you mention.

I see, thank you. Yea, hullabaloo in the guava orchard isn't a play but rather a satire novel. It's our prose piece then our drama piece which is a play is top girls. They had to choose a novel with the least notes online. Finding notes for hullabaloo in the guava orchard is just work and it involves money :/
(edited 9 years ago)
I see, thank you. Yea, hullabaloo in the guava orchard isn't a play but rather a satire novel. It's our prose piece then our drama piece which is a play is top girls.

Urgh... Top Girls. Taught it several times. Hate it. Useful and easy to write about, though.
Reply 24
Urgh... Top Girls. Taught it several times. Hate it. Useful and easy to write about, though.

Oh how come? Most of our English teachers seem to love it, well they're feminists so it explains much. Yay, it's easy to write about, thank goodness :biggrin:
Oh how come? Most of our English teachers seem to love it, well they're feminists so it explains much. Yay, it's easy to write about, thank goodness :biggrin:

I am a feminist, but I think it's pretentious and annoying.
Reply 26
I am a feminist, but I think it's pretentious and annoying.

I see, just glad that it's easy to make notes on though. I've found many resources on Top girls through spark notes etc, thank God. Just need notes for the other piece. Not sure if I should make a complaint about the English teachers. Many students are confused and are literally doing everything individually.

Quick Reply

Latest