The Student Room Group

french teacher

hello! I'm french and I'm gonna pass my bac (equivalent of a-level) this year. Next year, i'd love to come to the uk and become a french teacher (yep remember that class you thought it was absolutely useless and just wanted to kill yourself in?)
the only problem is, I have no idea what studies I have to do so if there is a french teacheron this forum that could help me i'd be very grateful :wink:
Original post by coralinemetz
hello! I'm french and I'm gonna pass my bac (equivalent of a-level) this year. Next year, i'd love to come to the uk and become a french teacher (yep remember that class you thought it was absolutely useless and just wanted to kill yourself in?)
the only problem is, I have no idea what studies I have to do so if there is a french teacheron this forum that could help me i'd be very grateful :wink:

I'm not quite sure if you're thinking of coming to the UK to teach directly after your bac, or if you're thinking of actually studying in the UK.

If it is the first (i.e. coming to the UK to work) then you will not be qualified enough, not even for an assistantship. You will find the criteria to become a language assistant here: http://www.ciep.fr/assistants-francais-a-letranger/comment-poser-candidature . For a proper full-time teaching job you need a degree - at least a licence.

If you want to study in the UK with a view to becoming a teacher here, then I recommend that you study French with another language at a British university. As a European student, you will find this pretty expensive as, although you will be entitled to a student loan for your fees of £9000 a year, you will not be entitled to a student loan for your living expenses. If you want to do this for entry in 2015 you will need to apply through UCAS by Christmas.

I hope this answers your question; if not, do re-post!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending