The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job to focus on my A-Levels?

I'm currently studying for my AS levels in sixth form. I work in retail for 4-12 hours a week (it varies), and I don't know whether to quit my job and focus on college or not. My grades are incredibly important to me, much more so than a part time job, but still I can't decide. Here is a list of pros and cons:

Pros:

I would have free weekends that I could use to visit university open days, do work experience, do sports, college work, revision etc.

During the busy periods I am expected to work more, so if I quit I would have much more time to do college work.

My job is boring and unchallenging, I often dread going to work.

I suffer from a plethora of mental illnesses and have been advised by doctors and teachers not have too much going on for me at once, this allows me to unwind and relax.

I volunteer 2/3 hours per week in a charity book shop, and I plan to continue this, therefore I will still have current retail experience. Plus I really enjoy volunteering.

I do not know if this is a coincidence or not, but almost all the people I know who got A grades at A level were unemployed.

Cons:

I like having extra money (although I spend it almost as fast as I get it, and I'm paid peanuts. It's worth noting that my salary per annum would be less than 1/10th of what my parents will give me if I get straight As in my A-levels).

I like the staff discount.

I like most of my co-workers.

I'd feel like an ungrateful fool for quitting a job in such an economy.

Some of my friends can't find work and I'd feel guilty for throwing away my job.

I'm worried that I'd never find a job again.

Any advice? :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've only read the thread title and the answer is yes - you definitely should quit your job. You can get a part-time job if you want once you're in uni, personally I think it's better to focus on your A-levels now and getting into the uni you're hoping to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Obviously I'm not you so I can't fully appreciate all the variables involved, but I would suggest quitting. Your A Levels aren't the most important things in the universe but they're still going to have a significant impact on your life, at least in the short term. You're going to be able to work all of your life, but you've really only got one chance to do your A Levels. 4-12 hours a week is quite a lot - I certainly wouldn't be able to cope working that long alongside school! If you had said that you really enjoyed your work, I might have suggested otherwise but you don't. Most of your reasons seem to be down to guilt. Whilst it's very nice that you're so appreciative of your opportunities, I don't think that's helping you. And it's definitely not true that you'll never find a job again! Also, it definitely is a coincidence that all the people you know who got A grades at A Level are unemployed!

So it's totally up to you but, particularly if you want to go to university, I would definitely quit.
I'd quit if I was you, focus on your exams and maybe try and get a job that's more flexible, so you could do it on the weekends/in the holidays.
Reply 4
You're pretty

You should marry a rich guy :tongue:

Unless you actually care about a degree subject/job/career
You have no valid reasons to work and maybe you should more focus on the academics, than the extracurriculars, because university won't be interested. Not that work-experience is worthless, but it should be the right one.
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
Why not just keep to regular hours that are low in number? Could you do one shift a week, or two every other week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no say in how many shifts I do, some weeks I only do one 4 hour shift, other weeks I do three or four shifts. I hardly ever see my manager anyway...
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
Obviously I'm not you so I can't fully appreciate all the variables involved, but I would suggest quitting. Your A Levels aren't the most important things in the universe but they're still going to have a significant impact on your life, at least in the short term. You're going to be able to work all of your life, but you've really only got one chance to do your A Levels. 4-12 hours a week is quite a lot - I certainly wouldn't be able to cope working that long alongside school! If you had said that you really enjoyed your work, I might have suggested otherwise but you don't. Most of your reasons seem to be down to guilt. Whilst it's very nice that you're so appreciative of your opportunities, I don't think that's helping you. And it's definitely not true that you'll never find a job again! Also, it definitely is a coincidence that all the people you know who got A grades at A Level are unemployed!

So it's totally up to you but, particularly if you want to go to university, I would definitely quit.

You're right, at the end of the day it is just a retail job, it's not opening any doors for me, and my A-levels are far more important. I think I'll quit. Thanks for your insight!
Quit. As others have said, you have no real reasons (other than guilt and liking having some spare cash) to keep the job, and you'll be much better off in the long run if you get good grades, go to a good uni, and hence get a good job. You've got the retail experience box ticked if you want to get a similar job while at uni (where you may have a bit more spare time to work).

Spend the extra time studying to ensure you get top grades, and also pick up a few extracurriculars relevant to your chosen degree subject or spend the time doing further reading etc. You'll definitely need the spare time near exams for revision.
The point about the economy is moot, getting a job now (certainly a part time one) is not as difficult as it once was.
Reply 10
Original post by vanessa409
I like having extra money

but muh iphone6
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by demx9
but muh iphone6

I wish! I have an ancient flip phone. Cool right?
Reply 12
Original post by tomfailinghelp
The point about the economy is moot, getting a job now (certainly a part time one) is not as difficult as it once was.

I hope you're right
I had a weekend job when I was at sixth form college and I ended up quitting around the time of my exams. I was in college monday-friday then working all weekend and I had no time to do coursework or revise. I think grades are more important in the long run rather than having a bit of extra money in the short term.
Could you reduce your contracted hours and remove the charity bookshop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by iloveteddy14
Could you reduce your contracted hours and remove the charity bookshop

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like the bookshop, it's only 2-3 hours a week so I can deal with that! No I can't change my contract - it's a contract.
Reply 16
Original post by charl0tte90
I had a weekend job when I was at sixth form college and I ended up quitting around the time of my exams. I was in college monday-friday then working all weekend and I had no time to do coursework or revise. I think grades are more important in the long run rather than having a bit of extra money in the short term.

Yeah I agree with you here! I told my parents I was considering quitting and they told me what a stupid decision that would be, so now I'm not sure again?
Reply 17
Do it. If I were you from what you have said I'd quit. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by J-SP
Could you start looking for a different job or negotiate with your manager to have fewer hours?

There must be a compromise/alternative to just quitting and not working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm required to do a 4 hour minimum by my contract, which would be okay except my shifts are usually right in the middle of the day which is annoying. And during exam time I'll need every hour I can get. But usually I do 4-8 hours per week, sometimes up to 12 during busy periods. It's pretty inflexible which is another problem, if I want a day off I have to book weeks in advance and they often ignore my requests! With the amount of uni open days and extra curricular being held on weekends I am constantly booking days off, which irritates management. I can't think of an alternative :confused:
I'm in the same position but I know my mum wants me to keep the job

I've saved up so I've got money to keep my lifestyle in terms of clothes! I just feel a bit weird

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending