The Student Room Group

English Language AS Phonetics

For my English Language AS homework I have to analyse the poem 'Meeting at Night' by Robert Browning and explain the sound significance in the poem that is created by the plosives, fricatives and afficatives. I have no idea where to start and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks x
Original post by Idcatgirl
For my English Language AS homework I have to analyse the poem 'Meeting at Night' by Robert Browning and explain the sound significance in the poem that is created by the plosives, fricatives and afficatives. I have no idea where to start and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks x

Moved to English section :smile:
Original post by Idcatgirl

Read the poem and then highlight any words that seem or - even better - sound significant. Then try to explain why, using the idea of plosives, fricatives and afficatives. A good way to write about this may be to do: 'word' --> connotations --> what sound --> overall effect.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of all do you know the purpose of plosives and fricatives?

Plosives usually indicate emphasis due to their nature that they a quick release of air. So maybe Browning is using them for effect?
Fricatives are slower because there is only a small gap because it is a bilabial sound (the lips touch) so think about why this works better for this particular sentence? Think about the context of the sentence, why does it fit?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest