The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Help me decide!

Hi, I'm going to be starting university from next September and I really need help picking my number 1. My top two choices are Lancaster and Leeds. I have visited both and loved them.

Could someone give me their unbiased input on which one to pick, I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ray :smile:.
Original post by Ray0405
Hi, I'm going to be starting university from next September and I really need help picking my number 1. My top two choices are Lancaster and Leeds. I have visited both and loved them.

Could someone give me their unbiased input on which one to pick, I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers,

what are you going to be studying?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Ray0405

Cheers,

They are very different universities- Lancaster is small, Leeds is big. The cities are very different and you need to ask yourself what you want out of uni. If you are into music, theater, or clubbing the experience at Lancaster would be nothing like a big city. On the flip side, if you want somewhere quieter and smaller go to Lancaster. One thing I undervalued when thinking about uni was how day to day living was going to be. If you are a big city person, don't just get drawn in by Lancaster's campus, you've still got to live with the city that comes with it!

P.S. I know I'm not biased but I'm trying to just point out the things I wish I'd considered in retrospect.
Yeah I live in Lancaster myself, and whilst it offers itself as a city it's much smaller than other places. It's still great & I love how it looks & works & the people & the general location being so close to the Lake District, plus all the things on offer there, I'm now after just that little bit of something else from a 'city' - so you need to think what you want, for all of your time living there as a student and potentially beyond. Any questions about Lancaster, feel free to drop me a PM; I've lived here for almost 15 years and have experienced it both as a student, and as a general Lancastrian. Don't get me wrong, Lancaster could well be perfect for you, but give it a wider perspective than just looking at the campus. Also, bear in mind your course too 😊 best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Punk_Rock_Socks
what are you going to be studying?

I'm applying for natural sciences at both places.
Reply 5
Original post by bownessie
They are very different universities- Lancaster is small, Leeds is big. The cities are very different and you need to ask yourself what you want out of uni. If you are into music, theater, or clubbing the experience at Lancaster would be nothing like a big city. On the flip side, if you want somewhere quieter and smaller go to Lancaster. One thing I undervalued when thinking about uni was how day to day living was going to be. If you are a big city person, don't just get drawn in by Lancaster's campus, you've still got to live with the city that comes with it!

P.S. I know I'm not biased but I'm trying to just point out the things I wish I'd considered in retrospect.

The thing is I love clubbing and city life, but when ever I do go clubbing it always in cities like Manchester and Leeds. I have cousins at Salford and Leeds. I don't mind the travelling, for instance if i were to go to Lanc, Manchester only an hours ride away, and Leeds is 2.

On the other hand Lancaster is just amazing, I love the whole collegiate system, and the close uni community is very evident. I Love the views and the layout of the whole university and to put the icing on the cake it only takes an hour to get to as its straight on the motorway.

Another thing that inclines me toward picking lancaster is study abroad part of my course. Leeds do offer a similar thing, however Lancaster offer a wider range of countries. I was thinking North america, Miami.
Reply 6
Hey. I had a choice between Lancaster and Leeds for similar courses. Lancaster was Natural Sciences and Leeds was Chemistry with Maths. In the end I chose Lancaster as the course just looked a lot better. The person who runs the course was really friendly and I really liked the campus feel at Lancaster as opposed to the city lifestyle at Leeds.

In regards to the study abroad, there are so many options, I have 2 friends that are off this year (3rd year) one to Canada and another to the States. About 1/3rd of the MSci students go on a year abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending