The Student Room Group

PgDip Nursing

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am hoping to return to university in September 2015 to study Nursing, preferably the PGDip in Adult Nursing.

I am in the process of completing my UCAS application, currently just waiting for my reference to be completed. I was wondering if anybody else is hoping to follow the same path? I am applying to Kings College and City University London and I decided to apply for both the PgDip and BSc, the rationale being I cannot guarantee that I will have completed the requisite 575 hours of healthcare experience that KCL specifically looks for.

A bit about my background:
I am 29 and currently a Project Manager working in a soulless corporate environment. For a long time now I have been itching to take a change of direction and do something more rewarding with my life. I volunteer for a HIV/AIDS charity as a Home Carer for 2 hours every fortnight, this is what inspired me to pursue nursing. I'm also hoping to start volunteer work with St John Ambulance having completed First Aid training. However, this will undoubtedly come nowhere close to satisfying the 575 hour requirement for KCL. Working full time, as well as undertaking voluntary experience makes it difficult to figure out ways to realistically achieve the sufficient level of experience in a healthcare setting! I have experience of working with people with mental and physical health conditions, however this was just over 5 years ago.

I know City offer a kind of half way solution, 2years and 14 weeks for those with less healthcare experience. I was wondering if anyone else is having difficulty achieving the right level of experience? Or, has anyone got any advice on how to pad out my experience? I have been looking into HCA work, however a lot of these roles ask for previous experience.

Thanks!
you might be better off asking this in the nursing and healthcare forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending