The Student Room Group

Leicester City F.C.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No offence like, but leicester bore me hugely!
A fantastic stadium on some wasteland that looks exactly the same as every other new ground. Has no character whatsoever.

Leicester are pretty crap this season, big expectation but delivering nothing:smile:

I do not know if you are being a bit of a troll here, but unless you are calling the city centre of leicester a massive wasteland you are massively mistaken. See this google map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Filbert+Street,+Leicester,+Leicestershire,+LE2&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=14&ll=52.627124,-1.129618&spn=0.024382,0.086002) The wasteland just outside the central ring road, nestled between the two universities, right next door to leicesters main hospital. The people of Leicester fought very hard in the "keep the city in the city" campaign, and this cost the club loads more than it should to have built it, we could have had a bigger, better stadium on some business park just of the M1 but people wanted the location in town.
The stadium isnt the least characterless of the new stadiums, however it was the cheapest to construct (good old leicester cutting corners ay) it was 30 million which is cheaper than Derby, Cov, southampton, boro, bolton et al.

And lets be fair here, city only play half their games at the walkers, to be honest I couldnt give a monkeys where they play so long as they PLAY and PERFORM, the current lot are shambolic.

Anyways a stadium of 32500, for a city with 285000 people aint that bad. It does the job, and its more comfortable and much bigger then the beloved Filbert Street.

As for being crap and not delivering I couldnt agree more.
dh00001
anyone see on the back of the mercury the away supporters protesting at the price of tickets? they plan to boycotte the game. whats their slogan going to be? lower the price or we ont come in :P:
haha probably dont realise it THEIR club that refuse to drop the price not us.

Dont live in the area, so havent read this story, but they pay the same as us home supporters, and Im sorry Burnley, Luton and Southend fans that you dont want to pay for sitting in a 21 century stadium where the roof doesnt leak, but dont come.

http://www.footballticketprices.co.uk/championship.php Take a look at that and you can see that only 8 clubs in the championship have marginaly lower prices than leicester, and for home fans we have the 2nd cheapest season tickets after the hatters.

BUT in honesty, all football tickets are too expensive, but we are the mugs paying to go in.
GigoloAunt
No offence like, but leicester bore me hugely!

None Taken.

They bore me so much this year.

However, the game against your lot was a gudden. 2-1 Hume and Hughes. If you were there, you are lucky that you witnessed our display that day as opposed to any other where you would have been bored stiff.
Reply 44
flexiblefish
None Taken.

They bore me so much this year.

However, the game against your lot was a gudden. 2-1 Hume and Hughes. If you were there, you are lucky that you witnessed our display that day as opposed to any other where you would have been bored stiff.

Well to be honest i would be used to it from Tony Pulis' first reign in charge when we had no money, was very boring...

but the last two season it has been exciting.

And the people going on about cutting costs when building the stadium, have you eve seen the britannia?

The roof would have been cheap as chips and looks pretty dodgy, we have 3 corners missing, and the place definitely needs a lick of paint...

but apparantely if we go up, all these things will be rectified.

And another thing, you lot are lucky your ground is close, its a 20 minute walk from the town centre to ours.
GigoloAunt

And another thing, you lot are lucky your ground is close, its a 20 minute walk from the town centre to ours.

Yeah but yours does look cool driving past it on the A50. But yup your right its another out of town stadium which is impossible to get to. You been to coventry? now thats hard. The best they can do is something called the "park and Walk" scheme, i.e. you park your car and walk to teh stadium. I kid you not they genuinly advertise carparks near by with "park and walk". What the hell do people in coventry usually do when they park their cars, do they get horse drawn carriage to WHsmiths. oh and you pay £5 to take part in said scheme. Anyways, this thread is thoughts about leicester, not thoughts about Cov.
Reply 46
flexiblefish
Yeah but yours does look cool driving past it on the A50. But yup your right its another out of town stadium which is impossible to get to. You been to coventry? now thats hard. The best they can do is something called the "park and Walk" scheme, i.e. you park your car and walk to teh stadium. I kid you not they genuinly advertise carparks near by with "park and walk". What the hell do people in coventry usually do when they park their cars, do they get horse drawn carriage to WHsmiths. oh and you pay £5 to take part in said scheme. Anyways, this thread is thoughts about leicester, not thoughts about Cov.

Yeah its true it looks good when driving past, and it has been quite hard to get to, but a new road has been built which makes things a hell of a lot easier, still very difficult...

I haven't been to cov yet, I can't afford many away games, this season only gonna manage 2 (Burnley and West Brom)... But from what you say, it may be a good idea to give it a miss.
Reply 47
I hear you and for the record I live just outside Loughborough so I do "know" the geography of Leicester.

I was simply commenting on someone saying it is a fantastic stadium which imo it isn't. You can go to pretty much any new ground and they are all exactly the same. I may be biased having a season ticket at Forest:cool: but the City Ground has plenty of character which adds a lot to a stadium.

Unfortunately none of these new grounds have any individuality like the old ones did which is a shame

That is true, i wish that Stoke had kept the victoria Ground...

Anyway ours does have individuality, find another ground where they have forgot to fill in 3 corners!

Plus our fans give us identity, when we want to sing we are probably one of the loudest football crowds around.
I wish Leicester had kept the character of Filbert Street, Tha atmosphere now is awful, I remember I report that said that the in the final year at Filbert Street, Leicester fans (per head) where the loadest fans in the UK. You wouldnt have guessed that at the walkers these days. Moving to a bowl, doesnt keep in the noise and moving the away fans away from the Kop end and placing it next to the family section not only removes the risk of trouble, but also stamps out any inter-fan banter.

I suppose those creaky old sheds of grounds are OK for for league 1 football, but you need flash bowls for prem and championship :p: :wink:
Reply 49
flexiblefish
I wish Leicester had kept the character of Filbert Street, Tha atmosphere now is awful, I remember I report that said that the in the final year at Filbert Street, Leicester fans (per head) where the loadest fans in the UK. You wouldnt have guessed that at the walkers these days. Moving to a bowl, doesnt keep in the noise and moving the away fans away from the Kop end and placing it next to the family section not only removes the risk of trouble, but also stamps out any inter-fan banter.

I suppose those creaky old sheds of grounds are OK for for league 1 football, but you need flash bowls for prem and championship :p: :wink:

There should be a designated section in every ground for fans that want to stand and sing, this improves atmospehere, makes others want to sing, improves matchday experience, and a plus for the police would be having everybody who they think is gonna cause trouble in one place, maiing them easier to control.

I think this would be good because at Stoke all 3 home stands have little areas of fans who love to sing, and if they were all out together, in one place it would make us very loud.

Wouldn't happen, the police want everybody siting down and eating prawn sandwiches...

Plus, when the Brit gets going it is already pretty intimidating for away fans.
Reply 50
we do its called L1. stewards and police have given up telling people to sit down up there. i wish the kop would liven up its gone well **** for the past two seasons.
i woul dnt want filbert street back, after all its ment to be a football statdium not a cattle market (mentioning no names of any clubs :wink: ) when we first moved in and were getting average attendences of 30000 the atmosphere was brilliant, since the numbers have started falling so has the noise.
Reply 51
I dunna understand why they want everybody to sit down

I mean whats gonna happen by standing up?

unless your a fat bastard and yer legs cave in.
Reply 53

Oh don't be a fag,

Every club used to have terraces, and that didn't happen, that was the fault of the club and police for letting so many in there.
Reply 54
GigoloAunt
Every club used to have terraces, and that didn't happen, that was the fault of the club and police for letting so many in there.

and? you asked what could happen. that was also a major turning point in the all-seater stadium argument so clearly the fa thaught so too.
Reply 55
dh00001
and? you asked what could happen. that was also a major turning point in the all-seater stadium argument so clearly the fa thaught so too.

No it wasn't the FA, it was somebody in the police or government that thought best.

That didn't happen elsewhere did it?

If they had just let in the amount its meant to hold, it would never have happened, I'm sure that police and stewards are more than capable of this.
So it doesnt look like Manderic is gonna put any money in by tomorrow deadline is he.

What another kick in the jaffers.
Reply 57
thats just typical for leicester though.

is the game on on sat with the holiday roof and all. i heard somewhere it was still knackered
dh00001
thats just typical for leicester though.

is the game on on sat with the holiday roof and all. i heard somewhere it was still knackered

Not heard that it is cancelled. in fact the official site is sorta celebrating that football is back at the walkers since new years day. But I havent a clue what they are on about, football back since NYD, rubbish not been any "football" played at the Walkers for much longer than that.

I hope its not cancelled, as that would mean me losing money again on pre-booked train tickets.

So its decisiond day, what we reckon. NO signings
So Milan is in. What are your thoughts. I want him to be a good thing, but he has said nothing other than I have spoken to Ian Dowie (and other managers) bloody Dowie, sod that.

Wait a while, see what happens.

also read Todorov is signing on loan. muh

Quick Reply

Latest