The Student Room Group

What are the TASTIEST foods that are healthy? (veg)

Just realised that I dread meal time and would rather not eat (if I can) than put the stale food that I have everyday in my mouth. I eat healthily but the taste is to bland and makes me puke (sorry).

So I'd just like to know from you guys - what are the TASTIEST veg foods that you've had that are still very healthy? I'd rather not spend loads of quids either. :smile:

Appreciate the help!!
Moved to Food and Drink :smile:
Reply 2
Asparagus.
Original post by Joyful_soul
Just realised that I dread meal time and would rather not eat (if I can) than put the stale food that I have everyday in my mouth. I eat healthily but the taste is to bland and makes me puke (sorry).

So I'd just like to know from you guys - what are the TASTIEST veg foods that you've had that are still very healthy? I'd rather not spend loads of quids either. :smile:

Appreciate the help!!

Meaty pizza :h:
Heinz beans one of your five a day, possibly the tastiest food around and I still can't believe its healthy.
Sweet potato fries.
Mushroom soup.
Crispy bbq kale chips.
Peanut butter and edamame rice bowls, which is technically a vegetarian dish, rather than just vegetables...
For me, it's Indian food. :biggrin: You'll probably know all of this if you're of Indian descent but have a look at this Wikipedia page. A lot of them are veg (not sure if they're healthy though :tongue:).

I personally like dosa and something called banana leaf rice, which is actually served on a banana leaf (sounds funny but it's popular in Malaysia and Singapore).
(edited 9 years ago)
Mmm. There's a recipe I make that's cabbage, tomatoes with chilis, pizza sauce, peppers and rice. It's supposed to have beef too, but I prefer it without. It sounds a bit odd, but it's so amazing. I could eat it every night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I love chicken and cheese wraps with a bit of BBQ sauce.
I absolutely love sprouts - it's a shame they're a seasonal thing.

However, I can do a nice, healthy French onion soup :biggrin: it's actually really easy!
Reply 10
asparagus and tomatos!
half and toast some ciabatta or baguette and put a poached egg on each side with some grilled asparagus and cherry tomatos on top - so yummy and definitely my favourite meal :smile:

i think broccoli and cauliflower are rather nice too since they just taste like water really aha. Beetroot also has a very distinct flavour i find most people either love it or hate it, like marmite (i love it)
I think most vegetables are pretty tasty, maybe you just need to get used to them?

Raw cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and cabbage are my favorites.
Aubergines are really low in calories and whilst they don't taste great on their own, they're amazing in:
-Ratatouille
-Caponata
-Thai curries

Roast vegetables are tastier than boiled/steamed. Chop butternut squash, courgette, red pepper, red onion and garlic, put in a roasting tin with a tablespoon of olive oil and mix with your hands until all the veg is coated in oil, then roast until veg is soft in the middle and starting to get a bit brown around the edges.

This recipe is healthy and tasty.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263668/turkish-onepan-eggs-and-peppers-menemen

Vegetable curry made with sweet potato, courgette, canned chickpeas, Patak's curry paste, a bit of creamed coconut and a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Veggie bolognese - use soya mince but also pad it out with lots of finely diced veg (carrot, courgette, mushroom). Add more tomatoes than you think you need then simmer it down 'til you have a thick sauce. I like to add a glass of red wine to bolognese too for a richer flavour.

When having plain steamed veg (like brocolli, cabbage, etc.) I find that salt makes a huge difference. I know salt isn't good for you but it doesn't make you fat at least! And my blood pressure has always been very healthy so I'm not going to worry about a pinch of salt on my veg.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find most vegetables quite tasty.

Sweet potatoes, courgettes, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, peppers, butternut squash, broccoli, asparagus, broad beans, sweetcorn. There are so many options.

Quick Reply

Latest