The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level Predicted A*?

So my 1st choice uni requires A*AA, and I'm struggling to decide which subject I should really try for the A* in. (Spanish or maths, also taking physics)
for maths AS, I got c1(78) - retaking and after 90%+, c2(87) and stats(87)
currently predicted an A for a level but not sure whether to push or not.
Does it sound unrealistic, an A*? For AS I was predicted a D but managed an A. I'm also getting a maths tutor i think.
truthfully, please!
cheers :smile:
Original post by okcherubble88
So my 1st choice uni requires A*AA, and I'm struggling to decide which subject I should really try for the A* in. (Spanish or maths, also taking physics)
for maths AS, I got c1(78) - retaking and after 90%+, c2(87) and stats(87)
currently predicted an A for a level but not sure whether to push or not.
Does it sound unrealistic, an A*? For AS I was predicted a D but managed an A. I'm also getting a maths tutor i think.
truthfully, please!
cheers :smile:

Depends on how hard you worked for the A at AS. It is realistic, provided you work hard and practice a lot of questions throughout the year. The A* classification for Maths is different to other A-Levels, but you do need to average 90 UMS over C3/C4.
Maths was my priority at AS, yeah. Definitely worked hardest for it out of all the subjects, although I only really started getting serious about it in about February (pretty dumb I know, definitely not happening again)
Maths was my priority at AS, yeah. Definitely worked hardest for it out of all the subjects, although I only really started getting serious about it in about February (pretty dumb I know, definitely not happening again)

Interesting. My advice would be to work for a couple of hours per day throughout the year, and you'll be on track for the A*. Out of curiosity, which applied module are you doing this year?
Thanks, think I'll talk to teacher tomorrow about it. Might have to wrestle the A* out of her though!
I'm doing mechanics1. Shouldn't be too bad since there should be some overlap with physics AS.
Thanks, think I'll talk to teacher tomorrow about it. Might have to wrestle the A* out of her though!
I'm doing mechanics1. Shouldn't be too bad since there should be some overlap with physics AS.

You'll probably struggle to convince her to give you that A* since your UMS doesn't suggest you'd get the A*. Work hard and show her you're committed to getting the grade. And fair do's, good luck.
Yeah I'm not convinced it'll work either but we'll see.
Problem is, I can definitely get a predicted A* in spanish.. Except I'm certain it won't happen because my essay writing skills are basically nonexistent. I only want one predicted A*, but in the right subject -.-
No longer know what I'm doing with my a levels D:
Yeah I'm not convinced it'll work either but we'll see.
Problem is, I can definitely get a predicted A* in spanish.. Except I'm certain it won't happen because my essay writing skills are basically nonexistent. I only want one predicted A*, but in the right subject -.-
No longer know what I'm doing with my a levels D:

same problem here, my essay writing skills are also nonexistent. And the fact that a2 edexcel Spanish is pretty much based on writing skills, I'm screwed
Aiming for A*A*A, realistically I'll probably get A*AB lmao. Spanish could potentially let me down this year with a B. The real trophy for me would be an A* in Maths seeing as I worked my ass off in AS and currently am for A2 [I'm in your position. Started working from February/March last year; big mistake. Could have got 4 As]
Got AABB in AS - incl. A for Maths and B for Spanish.

How you feeling about Physics though?
Is your native language Spanish? [Mine isn't]
If you REALLY must get one subject predicted an A*, sit down and think about the possibilities.
Oh I really despise the spanish a2 course, the essays are horrific. No more reading/listening test safety net D: nope not a native speaker but languages kinda come naturally to me.

Physics this year is def better than last year, it's not too bad. Last years B was a kick in the gut (reeeally shouldn't have brushed it aside to focus on maths) and I'm retaking phys2 for an A.

Cheeky as it sounds I might take the predicted a* in Spanish (if this fails) but instead, go for the maths (entry req say it can be in any subject).

Should've just gone to college I'd be blissfully unaware of any of this stress xD
Oh I really despise the spanish a2 course, the essays are horrific. No more reading/listening test safety net D: nope not a native speaker but languages kinda come naturally to me.

Physics this year is def better than last year, it's not too bad. Last years B was a kick in the gut (reeeally shouldn't have brushed it aside to focus on maths) and I'm retaking phys2 for an A.

Cheeky as it sounds I might take the predicted a* in Spanish (if this fails) but instead, go for the maths (entry req say it can be in any subject).

Should've just gone to college I'd be blissfully unaware of any of this stress xD

What are you looking to study?
Civil engineering.
You?
Civil engineering.
You?

Maths :smile:

Quick Reply