The Student Room Group

Think I'm about to get fired :(

I started a new job earlier this week. It's my very first office job and so far it hasn't really gone too great.

I went to the interview on Monday and without even asking me more than two questions and they offered me the job and told me I start the next day. I couldn't believe my luck as I've been looking for work for absolute ages. The interview was hardly an interview at all, the people interviewing me kept complimenting my looks and didn't seem to be interested at all in my previous experience or why I wanted the job or anything.

So the first day I was given some research to do and then for the rest of the week that is pretty much all I've done. It's a tedious job and the info that they want is extremely difficult to come by on a search engine. Nobody has given me any training and I've been left on my own to just get on with it. On Friday I had a quick meeting with the boss who said the research I had done was not good enough and to start again.

I am just waiting now for the call, text or email to tell me not to come in tomorrow and it's terrifying! It's not what I expected but it's a job and I wouldn't want to get fired already.
The worst thing is that on the day that I started, the worker opposite me who interviewed me has been contacting other people about this job. Apparently they put another add in for the vacancy and a couple of days later they invited people in to interview for the job I'm doing. It doesn't look good but they've hardly given me a chance! :frown:
If I were you, I'd go in tomorrow and ask for training for the research. First thing.
Reply 2
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
If I were you, I'd go in tomorrow and ask for training for the research. First thing.

It's a small company, everyone else there is busy doing their job and nobody has any time to train me up in anything. That's why I've just been left doing the research by the looks of it. There really isn't anyone I can ask. Not sure what to do really except just try my best to get on with it, but it just seems pointless.
Reply 3
It all sounds really weird...why would they give you the job if they are not interested in having you? But then if they were interested in having you, why didn't they ask you any pertinent questions during the interview, instead commenting on your appearance? That in itself is unprofessional, but the way you are being treated now is even more so.

I wonder if it's possible to ask them why they offered you the job? And now that you've got the job, what they can expect from you (i.e. hard work, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, positive attitude) and what you would like to receive from them? It might be difficult though if it's a small business.

I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but it might be worth reading up on some generic employers' rights and responsibilities guidelines. Check your contract as well. It sounds as if you're being given very little guidance and it would be very unfair to dismiss you based on a job you've barely started. You can definitely pull them up on that if it comes up.
Reply 4
Original post by Reord
It all sounds really weird...why would they give you the job if they are not interested in having you? But then if they were interested in having you, why didn't they ask you any pertinent questions during the interview, instead commenting on your appearance? That in itself is unprofessional, but the way you are being treated now is even more so.

I wonder if it's possible to ask them why they offered you the job? And now that you've got the job, what they can expect from you (i.e. hard work, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, positive attitude) and what you would like to receive from them? It might be difficult though if it's a small business.

I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but it might be worth reading up on some generic employers' rights and responsibilities guidelines. Check your contract as well. It sounds as if you're being given very little guidance and it would be very unfair to dismiss you based on a job you've barely started. You can definitely pull them up on that if it comes up.

I've not been fired yet so I'm hoping they won't now. The job has improved somewhat, but it's still not the best. Also, I haven't been given a contract at all so can't check that. I'm going to stick around, I've been told I'll be doing some more interesting stuff from next week so fingers crossed! :smile: Just hope they don't fire me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending