The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge for Modern Languages?

I'm only in year 12 at the moment, but I'm considering applying to Oxbridge when the time comes. Originally, I was set on Cambridge for Spanish and Beginners' German, because apparently the course is less focused on literature than Oxford, but now I'm wondering if I might actually enjoy the literature side. Plus, Oxford's offer is AAA instead of Cambridge's A*AA, which is a bit more achievable.

My GCSEs are average - 4A*, 4A, 3B and an awful C (in business studies). I achieved 300/300 UMS in Spanish alongside an A in French from year 9 (which we did in a year), so I think that shows I'm a decent linguist.

In terms of my AS-levels, I'm studying Spanish, History, Eng Lit and RS - and I'm hoping for four As in the summer. I understand that Cambridge focuses on AS-level UMS whilst Oxford on the percentage of A* at GCSE - so bearing in mind my GCSE results, would I still have a chance at Oxford?
Reply 1
Hi,

In fact because Oxford don't ask for UMS scores means they're more likely to look at your GCSEs. There will certainly be applicants with higher grades, but as you said you did very well in the languages. Although don't forget that as long as you work your socks off you should get your 4 As this year which would count for a lot more in terms of showing your ability that GCSEs do - in that case that you've got better.
Truthfully I would say ignore what the offers are; Oxford might be lower but in reality the tutors aren't going to give you a place at either unless they think you're capable of achieving their offer (that is not to say, however, that Cambridge offer holders are of a higher standard but you get what I'm saying).

In terms of choosing between you're right that Oxford has a much heavier focus on literature, but don't forget that in so doing you look at context, history, politics etc anyway. It's also worth noting that when you take a joint honours language degree at Cambridge you have to drop one language for your final year and just focus on one, whereas at Oxford you keep going with two.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by enimpri
Hi,

In fact because Oxford don't ask for UMS scores means they're more likely to look at your GCSEs. There will certainly be applicants with higher grades, but as you said you did very well in the languages. Although don't forget that as long as you work your socks off you should get your 4 As this year which would count for a lot more in terms of showing your ability that GCSEs do - in that case that you've got better.
Truthfully I would say ignore what the offers are; Oxford might be lower but in reality the tutors aren't going to give you a place at either unless they think you're capable of achieving their offer (that is not to say, however, that Cambridge offer holders are of a higher standard but you get what I'm saying).

In terms of choosing between you're right that Oxford has a much heavier focus on literature, but don't forget that in so doing you look at context, history, politics etc anyway. It's also worth noting that when you take a joint honours language degree at Cambridge you have to drop one language for your final year and just focus on one, whereas at Oxford you keep going with two.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask if you have any other questions :smile:

I didn't actually know that at Cambridge you drop one of your languages in the final year, so thanks for letting me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending